Step up

Started 5 months ago | User reviews
sataevr New Member • Posts: 5
Step up
1

I own this camera for two month now after one year with 100D and thirteen years with 40D. In 100D i didn't like its sensor because dynamic range is very disappointed. Canon fix it in 200D with new best 24mpx crop-sensor they have. Now 200D is lightweight camera with rotating screen, confusing but usable wireless options, better grip and noticeably better sensor. But Canon still using this old cheap phase AF system with one cross-point and that's why i give this camera 4.5 points.

Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9)
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Jun 29, 2017
sataevr's score
4.5
Average community score
4.5
bad for good for
Kids / pets
weak
Action / sports
weak
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D) Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 6,285
Re: Step up
1

Hello...

sataevr wrote:

I own this camera for two month now after one year with 100D and thirteen years with 40D. In 100D i didn't like its sensor because dynamic range is very disappointed. Canon fix it in 200D with new best 24mpx crop-sensor they have. Now 200D is lightweight camera with rotating screen, confusing but usable wireless options, better grip and noticeably better sensor. But Canon still using this old cheap phase AF system with one cross-point and that's why i give this camera 4.5 points.

Thank you for your input.

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

 Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon PowerShot Zoom Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel T7 +4 more
Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 40,913
Re: Step up
1

I read that the Canon SL2 (200D) has a 9-point autofocus system, but with only one cross-type AF point (as you write correctly).  The Canon T7i (800D) camera has 45 cross-type AF points.  I didn't realize there was such a difference between the Canon SL2 (200D) camera and the Canon T7i (800D) camera in regards to the AF cross-type points.  I think they were made about the same time and the price for each of them is nearly the same.  I've been real happy with all of my Canon T7i (800D) cameras.  I got them so cheaply on-line that I bought more than one.

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,948
Re: Step up

The SL3 is a very nice step up from the SL2. It uses the same Dual Pixel AF system as the M50. Add 4k video and Digic 8 processor and it's a small form powerhouse.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-rebel-sl3-250d/2

Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 40,913
Re: Step up

I read that the Canon SL3 (250D) camera still only has one cross-type AF point. I don't know how that would affect performance. Also the dual pixel AF system is only good in live view. That's great it has Canon's DIGIC 8 image processor.  That's the same as I have on my Canon M50 cameras.  I don't know what improvement that would demonstrate.  It would be interesting to see what other reviews may say about it.

OP sataevr New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Step up

Sactojim wrote:

The SL3 is a very nice step up from the SL2.

I guess it's not. Same good sensor, same cheap phase AF. New DIGIC with 4k video and improved wireless functions. That's all. At this time SL2 (200D) is best and most affordable choice in Canon's crop-models. IMHO.

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,948
Re: Step up

Digirame wrote:

I read that the Canon SL3 (250D) camera still only has one cross-type AF point. I don't know how that would affect performance. Also the dual pixel AF system is only good in live view. That's great it has Canon's DIGIC 8 image processor. That's the same as I have on my Canon M50 cameras. I don't know what improvement that would demonstrate. It would be interesting to see what other reviews may say about it.

9. Some birders use this camera with great success for birds in flight due to it's fast focus. If the price drops a little, I'm adding the body.

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,948
Re: Step up

sataevr wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

The SL3 is a very nice step up from the SL2.

I guess it's not. Same good sensor, same cheap phase AF. New DIGIC with 4k video and improved wireless functions. That's all. At this time SL2 (200D) is best and most affordable choice in Canon's crop-models. IMHO.

This video shows the additional performance and features of the SL3, especially with eye detect focus and 4k added to the SL3. No wrong choice as they are both excellent performers.

OP sataevr New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Step up

Sactojim wrote:

This video shows the additional performance and features of the SL3, especially with eye detect focus and 4k added to the SL3. No wrong choice as they are both excellent performers.

Eye detect AF is great option and SL3 is good choice too. But in DSLR cameras i prefer fast and customisable phase AF. Unfortunately all SLx models has only one cross-point and that's sad

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads