Looking for advice on camera for outdoor portraits and action shots

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Esheh195 New Member • Posts: 1
Looking for advice on camera for outdoor portraits and action shots

Hey everyone. New here but hoping for some Christmas shopping advice. Looking for a gift for my wife. She takes outdoor family and child shots, especially candid shots with movement. She’s been using her 8 year old Nikon 5200 and I was planning on buying her a new setup this year. 
My photography knowledge is limited to the info I can Google and my iPhone’s camera so I was hoping you all could give me some tips on a lens and body combination that is fairly user friendly and suitable for her needs. 
thanks in advance for your help!

CrashTestHuman Regular Member • Posts: 162
Re: Looking for advice on camera for outdoor portraits and action shots

Esheh195 wrote:

Hey everyone. New here but hoping for some Christmas shopping advice. Looking for a gift for my wife. She takes outdoor family and child shots, especially candid shots with movement. She’s been using her 8 year old Nikon 5200 and I was planning on buying her a new setup this year.
My photography knowledge is limited to the info I can Google and my iPhone’s camera so I was hoping you all could give me some tips on a lens and body combination that is fairly user friendly and suitable for her needs.

The number one question to start with is, what is lacking in her setup right now?

Knowing what is missing will help us figure out what to move to.

CrashTestHuman's gear list:CrashTestHuman's gear list
Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Krusty79 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,020

Budget? Interchangeable lens camera or one with a built-in zoom?

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gkphotos79/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/greg79
"You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature" - Larry Andersen

Krusty79's gear list:Krusty79's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R IIIA Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 3,240

CrashTestHuman wrote:

Esheh195 wrote:

The number one question to start with is, what is lacking in her setup right now?

Knowing what is missing will help us figure out what to move to.

Other questions: What is budget for new camera and lens(es)? What lenses she use?

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +2 more
ikolbyi Senior Member • Posts: 1,077
Olympus or Fuji

Esheh195 wrote:

Olympus/OMD EM5.m3 or Fuji X-T30 based on your use case.

Assumptions on my part: camera will largely be used to photograph family events and only need a couple of lenses.

ikolbyi's gear list:ikolbyi's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Voigtlander 75mm F1.8 Heliar Classic Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads