EOS R6 amp glow ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
mermaidkiller Senior Member • Posts: 1,383
EOS R6 amp glow ?

In this article I read about amp glow of the R6 on his astrophotos, which were exposed 5 minutes or longer. I did not (or barely with 2 minutes) have this problem.
He says that it can be solved by Canon a firmware update, although the latest (1.5.0 of yesterday) did not include this.

A workaround can be enabling long exposure noise suppression, but that will make the astrophotography session twice as long. Or making dark frames. Does anybody have this amp glow on R6 astrophotography ?

https://amazingsky.net/2021/09/23/testing-the-canon-r6-for-astrophotography/

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d ... r6

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS R6 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +5 more
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PhotosFlight
PhotosFlight Regular Member • Posts: 352
Re: EOS R6 amp glow ?

I have an R6 and use it for Astro but only an AltAz mount so 20 seconds is my max.    What is amp glow?

PhotosFlight's gear list:PhotosFlight's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II +15 more
sharkmelley
sharkmelley Senior Member • Posts: 2,705

Thanks for the link to Alan Dyer's review. I wasn't previously aware that the R6 suffered from amp glow.

You are most likely to detect it by stretching a long exposure dark frame (with the camera body cap instead of the lens) and looking for magenta areas around the edges. Using the body cap rules out any potential infra-red emissions from within the lens mechanism.

I have the EOS R and I don't have any noticeable amp glow.

Mark

sharkmelley's gear list:sharkmelley's gear list
Sony a7S Nikon Z6 +1 more
G Dickson
G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,647

If I really stretch an image with no calibration frames, or a single light frame then I do see amp glow on my R6. On the right hand of the frame and the bottom edge as well.

-- hide signature --

Gilmour

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,445

Do you really need 5 minute sub exposures?

Would think so for narrowband imaging. But for ordinary astrophotography I see very little difference between 30 sec and 1 min subs.

Shorter that 15 sec subs are visible lacking and 2 min subs brings no extras to the table.

Have a moderately light polluted site. At a dark site sub exposures can be increased.

Those long sub exposures are a remnant from the CCD era when read noise was a real problem. CMOS with read noise in the 1-2 electrons range have changed that. Just try for yourself to find the personal sweet spot.

OP mermaidkiller Senior Member • Posts: 1,383

Tristimulus wrote:

Do you really need 5 minute sub exposures?

Would think so for narrowband imaging. But for ordinary astrophotography I see very little difference between 30 sec and 1 min subs.

Shorter that 15 sec subs are visible lacking and 2 min subs brings no extras to the table.

Have a moderately light polluted site. At a dark site sub exposures can be increased.

Those long sub exposures are a remnant from the CCD era when read noise was a real problem. CMOS with read noise in the 1-2 electrons range have changed that. Just try for yourself to find the personal sweet spot.

Indeed, with the R6 I made mostly 2 minute in narrowband (L-eNhance) subs which show barely any amp glow. What there was in the very lower right edge, I edited it away with Photoshop.
With my 6D I sometimes shot 4 minutes for narrowband and got the red nebulas nicely, despite it is not modded. The R6 performs even better as I now do more subs with shorter exposure per sub.

Worst case scenario is adding dark frames which eliminate the amp glow.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d ... r6

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS R6 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads