Thom got a Z9 to test

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
shuncheung Veteran Member • Posts: 4,174
Re: Thom got a Z9 to test

ARClark wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

Keep in mind that whoever already has a pre-production Z9 for testing received it directly from Nikon as a favor, be it before the official announcement on October 28 or right now, such as Brad Hill and Thom Hogan. For those YouTube influencers, that means a lot of hits on their video and therefore plenty of income. If they slam the Z9, they might as well kiss their favorable relationship with Nikon goodbye. Next time when Nikon introduce the Z9 Mark II or Z8, etc., you can forget about Nikon offering them another pre-production camera again. Who is so stupid to bite the hand that feeds them?

Nikon ambassadors would of course be inclined to offer favorable comments.

But others such as influencers Jared Polin and Matt Granger, who have already commented, and Thom Hogan, who is just getting started, have no vested interest in raising the Nikon flag. I don’t believe they are, or will be, beholden to Nikon one bit for a Z9 loan. If they identify shortcomings of the Z9 in the face of all the glowing reviews, they’ll get plenty of hits anyway. And if those less-than-flattering remarks appear fair and accurate, that will simply give them more credibility in the long run. IMO, Nikon doesn’t feed them anymore than does Sony or Canon.

Actually I think Thom Hogan's business is tightly tied to Nikon. I sort of know Thom and communicate with him once in a while. I know he reads these forums and occasionally I receive feedback from him on my comments here. It is obvious that Thom's income includes referrals to B&H purchases through his web site and his eBooks. Thom also leads photo trips, which are seriously affected by Covid, and recently he is doing on-line photo courses that charge a fee.

It is very much in Thom's interest to promote Nikon so that people purchase from B&H through his referral links and purchase his Nikon eBooks. I am sure Thom has enough integrity that he is not going to falsely promote Nikon or other products. However, in the last decade or so, I found Thom's overly critical comments on Nikon very puzzling because, in term, that has to affect his book sales.

Remember Nikon officially announced the Z9 on October 28, 2021. A few days later, Paul's Photo, a camera store in the Los Angeles area, invited Thom to do an on-line session on the Z9 and posted the recording to YouTube on November 3. That video is 2 hours and 43 minutes long. I have to admit that I did not sit through nearly 3 hours, but I watched a significant portion of that video, in which Paul's Photo asked people to pre-order and threw in a free CFexpress card as incentive.

https://youtu.be/R5CO7S2XiTU

A day after that video was posted to YouTube, this was what I wrote to Thom Hogan via e-mail: "I watched significant parts of your video with Paul's Photo. You sounded a lot more positive about Nikon in the video, compared to your web site.   The video is quite informative, but almost 3 hours is very long."

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 9,897

shuncheung wrote:

ARClark wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

Keep in mind that whoever already has a pre-production Z9 for testing received it directly from Nikon as a favor, be it before the official announcement on October 28 or right now, such as Brad Hill and Thom Hogan. For those YouTube influencers, that means a lot of hits on their video and therefore plenty of income. If they slam the Z9, they might as well kiss their favorable relationship with Nikon goodbye. Next time when Nikon introduce the Z9 Mark II or Z8, etc., you can forget about Nikon offering them another pre-production camera again. Who is so stupid to bite the hand that feeds them?

But others such as influencers Jared Polin and Matt Granger, who have already commented, and Thom Hogan, who is just getting started, have no vested interest in raising the Nikon flag. I don’t believe they are, or will be, beholden to Nikon one bit for a Z9 loan. If they identify shortcomings of the Z9 in the face of all the glowing reviews, they’ll get plenty of hits anyway. And if those less-than-flattering remarks appear fair and accurate, that will simply give them more credibility in the long run. IMO, Nikon doesn’t feed them anymore than does Sony or Canon.

Actually I think Thom Hogan's business is tightly tied to Nikon. I sort of know Thom and communicate with him once in a while. I know he reads these forums and occasionally I receive feedback from him on my comments here. It is obvious that Thom's income includes referrals to B&H purchases through his web site and his eBooks. Thom also leads photo trips, which are seriously affected by Covid, and recently he is doing on-line photo courses that charge a fee.

It is very much in Thom's interest to promote Nikon so that people purchase from B&H through his referral links and purchase his Nikon eBooks. I am sure Thom has enough integrity that he is not going to falsely promote Nikon or other products. However, in the last decade or so, I found Thom's overly critical comments on Nikon very puzzling because, in term, that has to affect his book sales.

Remember Nikon officially announced the Z9 on October 28, 2021. A few days later, Paul's Photo, a camera store in the Los Angeles area, invited Thom to do an on-line session on the Z9 and posted the recording to YouTube on November 3. That video is 2 hours and 43 minutes long. I have to admit that I did not sit through nearly 3 hours, but I watched a significant portion of that video, in which Paul's Photo asked people to pre-order and threw in a free CFexpress card as incentive.

A day after that video was posted to YouTube, this was what I wrote to Thom Hogan via e-mail: "I watched significant parts of your video with Paul's Photo. You sounded a lot more positive about Nikon in the video, compared to your web site. The video is quite informative, but almost 3 hours is very long."

It is possible, of course, that Thom hasn't been dependent on Nikon for his livelihood but has used and appreciated Nikon cameras for decades. Remember that his time in high tech allowed him to retire early from it, and to pursue other careers such as outdoor magazine publishing. Contrast his output to the bombast and cant of most internet influencers. Which speaks of parasitic dependence?

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Z6User
Z6User Contributing Member • Posts: 963

shuncheung wrote:

ARClark wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

Actually I think Thom Hogan's business is tightly tied to Nikon. I sort of know Thom and communicate with him once in a while. I know he reads these forums

He certainly does. I’m not convinced views here are typical of Nikon users though.

and occasionally I receive feedback from him on my comments here. It is obvious that Thom's income includes referrals to B&H purchases through his web site and his eBooks. Thom also leads photo trips, which are seriously affected by Covid, and recently he is doing on-line photo courses that charge a fee.

Puzzling? Not necessarily.

He doesn’t just review gear, he also comments on Nikon from a business perspective. He long since predicted the huge decline in market share that we see today. For years he was critical of Nikon’s strategy, and their poor marketing. He is obviously an engineer, as well as having business experience, and he clearly has a high opinion of Nikon products. He often compliments their engineering. He simply says it as he sees it. I know he has given presentations in Japan to Nikon execs at his own suggestion. I believe he wants to influence Nikon for the better. Of course Japanese culture is very different from American, and I suspect they see him as lacking deference, of being too direct. The Japanese are far more conservative, less innovative, than Americans. He probably ruffles more than a few feathers.

Recently we have seen Nikon paying far more attention to marketing, and introducing smaller lenses, suitable for DX cameras. Hogan has wanted them to do both things for years now. It looks to me as if the marked decline in market share has hit home, and they are doing some of the things that he suggested, Coincidence? Maybe they didn’t listen to him, but his suggestions may turn out to have been the medicine that was required to get the patient back into rude health.

Remember Nikon officially announced the Z9 on October 28, 2021. A few days later, Paul's Photo, a camera store in the Los Angeles area, invited Thom to do an on-line session on the Z9 and posted the recording to YouTube on November 3.

He might have wanted to do his bit to help a local shop, times are hard. Just a guess.

That video is 2 hours and 43 minutes long. I have to admit that I did not sit through nearly 3 hours, but I watched a significant portion of that video, in which Paul's Photo asked people to pre-order and threw in a free CFexpress card as incentive.

A day after that video was posted to YouTube, this was what I wrote to Thom Hogan via e-mail: "I watched significant parts of your video with Paul's Photo. You sounded a lot more positive about Nikon in the video, compared to your web site. The video is quite informative, but almost 3 hours is very long."

It was indeed long. I found it interesting to see and hear the Chief Gringe himself, he’s a lot more animated and positive in person. Then again, if you run safaris and photo trips, you have to have a likeable personality.

Z6User's gear list:Z6User's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +2 more
chambeshi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,262

Agree fully. He mentioned recently he worked in PC industry, and this included executive role on customer feedback interface etc

He presumably lives off his ebooks, workshops, educational tours etc

Although he himself described himself as a cumudgeon (!) he's proven to be honest and trustworthy for reliable reviews and his ebooks are a bargain. Actually, it is a good thing he steers clear youtube

Z6User wrote:

{snip...}

Actually I think Thom Hogan's business is tightly tied to Nikon. I sort of know Thom and communicate with him once in a while. I know he reads these forums

He certainly does. I’m not convinced views here are typical of Nikon users though.

and occasionally I receive feedback from him on my comments here. It is obvious that Thom's income includes referrals to B&H purchases through his web site and his eBooks. Thom also leads photo trips, which are seriously affected by Covid, and recently he is doing on-line photo courses that charge a fee.

Puzzling? Not necessarily.

He doesn’t just review gear, he also comments on Nikon from a business perspective. He long since predicted the huge decline in market share that we see today. For years he was critical of Nikon’s strategy, and their poor marketing. He is obviously an engineer, as well as having business experience, and he clearly has a high opinion of Nikon products. He often compliments their engineering. He simply says it as he sees it. I know he has given presentations in Japan to Nikon execs at his own suggestion. I believe he wants to influence Nikon for the better. Of course Japanese culture is very different from American, and I suspect they see him as lacking deference, of being too direct. The Japanese are far more conservative, less innovative, than Americans. He probably ruffles more than a few feathers.

Recently we have seen Nikon paying far more attention to marketing, and introducing smaller lenses, suitable for DX cameras. Hogan has wanted them to do both things for years now. It looks to me as if the marked decline in market share has hit home, and they are doing some of the things that he suggested, Coincidence? Maybe they didn’t listen to him, but his suggestions may turn out to have been the medicine that was required to get the patient back into rude health.

Remember Nikon officially announced the Z9 on October 28, 2021. A few days later, Paul's Photo, a camera store in the Los Angeles area, invited Thom to do an on-line session on the Z9 and posted the recording to YouTube on November 3.

He might have wanted to do his bit to help a local shop, times are hard. Just a guess.

That video is 2 hours and 43 minutes long. I have to admit that I did not sit through nearly 3 hours, but I watched a significant portion of that video, in which Paul's Photo asked people to pre-order and threw in a free CFexpress card as incentive.

It was indeed long. I found it interesting to see and hear the Chief Gringe himself, he’s a lot more animated and positive in person. Then again, if you run safaris and photo trips, you have to have a likeable personality.

chambeshi's gear list:chambeshi's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z fc Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G +22 more
HeavyDuty Senior Member • Posts: 2,836

chambeshi wrote:

Agree fully. He mentioned recently he worked in PC industry, and this included executive role on customer feedback interface etc

Although he himself described himself as a cumudgeon (!) he's proven to be honest and trustworthy for reliable reviews and his ebooks are a bargain. Actually, it is a good thing he steers clear youtube

Thom is my personal most trusted source on the web.

-- hide signature --

Ken in New Hampshire
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

HeavyDuty's gear list:HeavyDuty's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR Nikon Z 14-24mm F2.8 Nikon Z 50mm F1.2 +9 more
just Tony
just Tony Veteran Member • Posts: 3,904

mosswings wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

ARClark wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

It is possible, of course, that Thom hasn't been dependent on Nikon for his livelihood but has used and appreciated Nikon cameras for decades. Remember that his time in high tech allowed him to retire early from it, and to pursue other careers such as outdoor magazine publishing. Contrast his output to the bombast and cant of most internet influencers. Which speaks of parasitic dependence?

Also note that Thom’s current pick for top all-rounder is a Sony, and the B&H links are in place on his sansmirror site. Nikon is his main wheelhouse but I wouldn’t say he’s got blinders on.

-- hide signature --

Wag more; bark less.

just Tony's gear list:just Tony's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100S
wild-snaps
wild-snaps Forum Member • Posts: 72

chambeshi wrote:

+1

Perhaps Thom is the only one left who could do educational material on the Z9?  I can't think of anyone else from a hard core wildlife viewpoint still with deep insight into Nikon mirrorless.

Droster Senior Member • Posts: 1,881

It’s a good thing Nikon listened not only to Thom but also other people.

Nikon understands DX is for the casuals. Thom keeps wanting a complete system out of DX, but it does seem he is toning down from that position because he also understands we don’t need a lot of DX lenses for today’s market. I’ll give him that for being able to change from his former point of view.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 +9 more
VBLondon Senior Member • Posts: 2,242

Droster wrote:

It’s a good thing Nikon listened not only to Thom but also other people.

We don't know that the current DX Z lens line wasn't Nikon's plan all along. They start with the 2 kit lens solution that most of the market buys, then add a few when they can.

Nikon understands DX is for the casuals. Thom keeps wanting a complete system out of DX, but it does seem he is toning down from that position because he also understands we don’t need a lot of DX lenses for today’s market. I’ll give him that for being able to change from his former point of view.

Agree. Canon hasn't launched an EF-M lens since 2018. Nikon's DX roadmap seems to match Canon's EF-M zooms and is a couple of primes short. Not bad given Canon launched the EFM nearly 10 years ago.

VBLondon's gear list:VBLondon's gear list
Nikon Z6
Vince P
Vince P Senior Member • Posts: 2,604

isilwane wrote:

chambeshi wrote:

+1

Perhaps Thom is the only one left who could do educational material on the Z9? I can't think of anyone else from a hard core wildlife viewpoint still with deep insight into Nikon mirrorless.

Steve Perry?

Vince P's gear list:Vince P's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Panasonic GH5S Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 +82 more
wild-snaps
wild-snaps Forum Member • Posts: 72

Vince P wrote:

Perhaps Thom is the only one left who could do educational material on the Z9? I can't think of anyone else from a hard core wildlife viewpoint still with deep insight into Nikon mirrorless.

Steve Perry?

Could be, I do have a few of his ebooks. I think his goto for wildlife now is the A1/600F4 . I find Thom's practical approach based on his article "Nikon Z safari" as well his ebooks more my style.

A unique advantage for Thom is he has deep experience with Canon and Sony cameras, but I cannot think of anyone else with going on 3 decades hands on experience with Nikon cameras and writing ebooks, besides educational tours.

It also helps he shoots sports at college level professionally. So relates to the main genre for which Nikon design their flagship cameras

Brad Hill is a highly experienced and indeed excellent wildlife photographer and distinctly obsessed with Nikon gear. He is also testing a prototype Z9 and drilling into the minutiae where it matters in the wild. His blogs are an invaluable resource especially for reviews of exotic lenses.

Steve Perry is indeed another - his autofocus ebooks are a bargain IME, and he does useful videos. He was originally Canon, then centrally Nikon and last year he added Sony to meet educational demands, including his wildlife tours and workshops etc,

isilwane wrote:

chambeshi wrote:

+1

Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z fc Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G +22 more
photography-lover Regular Member • Posts: 440

NickZ2016 wrote:

Canon announced they had more than the expected orders for the R3 before the Z9 was announced.

https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-already-announces-supply-shortage-for-the-eos-r3-and-the-new-lenses/

If Canon says so that must be true.

We'll get a book sooner!

MichaelHK wrote:

https://www.zsystemuser.com/z-mount-cameras/the-z9-blog/

To me the main reason why Thom getting a Z9 now is great news is that it's going to accelerate by a few weeks the release of his Z9 book.

And that's one I will certainly buy and I fully expect to become more proficient at using the Z9 thanks to his book. So any week saved accelerates the value of my Z9.

No serious issues with Z9....

From all we have seen and what's been discussed about the Z9 specs and features, there is not much to worry about IMHO. Prior to these reports using the prototypes over the past 5 weeks, my original position was this camera will ably qualify for my needs and standards in AF and haptics provided it at least matches the reliability of the D5 and better D6 for wildlife subjects.

Over the past week, Thom H and Brad Hill have confirmed the primary aspects in reports of the first wave of Z9 users aka influencers:

• excellent blackout free, bright EVF;
  • Nikon colour science;
  • the fps and buffer etc is more than one needs in almost all situations;
  • what will likely become rated the most advanced and reliable AF system in the history of 'affordable' photography as of 2021-2022.

There are zilch concerns over the fully electronic shutter. The sensor guard is long overdue, especially in dusty conditions. Major kudos to Nikon.

The only real area of concern - more academic - is the lowlight image quality. If it matches D850 / Z7 sensor quality ie ISO6400 - 25600 no worries, as pp software is the necessary accessory for these images.

One intriguing arena remaining is the deeper details of Z9 Menu intricacies and Haptics. Overall, Thom H and Brad H have also confirmed the customization scope / options in the Z9 Menus is better than those in the D6 (and quantum improvements compared to the mid-tier Z6 - Z7).

This especially applies to the Z9 allowing more Options-per-Button - big leap fwd over the irksome Nikon tradition to tie users to apron strings by crippling some of the control buttons on DSLRs and also the Zeds.

So much more is now possible to customize the Z9 for action shooting etc, bsides other genres. For example, besides mapping a selected AFMode+AFOn to a Fn button(s). There are at least 3 ways to switch AF modes solely with the right hand, and with single controls. This includes using a respective suite of RSF (Recall Shooting Functions) in each Shooting Bank.

HeavyDuty wrote:

chambeshi wrote:

Thom is my personal most trusted source on the web.

2 missing Features in the Z9

Scrolling BOTH Shooting Banks: Custom Setting Option

1. I agree 100% with Brad Hill that Nikon's Shooting Banks are an excellent feature, although one has to invest the time to optimize and learn them. However, Nikon still forbids scrolling Custom Banks by assigning Red-Record to scroll both sets of Shooting Banks.

As with the D850 and D5 for example, it is possible to use this custom setting to scroll Photo Banks apparently. Assigning i-Menu setting does allow scrolling between banks with without leaving the EVF, but this the clumsier solution compared to being able switch between both sets of Banks with thumb+ 1st/2nd fingers of the right hand only. Brad and I agree in emails, it is bizarre Nikon have dropped the ball yet again.... Simple to Fix in Firmware

Pre-Record

2. Nikon has no excuse for leaving Pre-Record out of the Z9 Functions - the electronic shutter should make it a doddle to implement, surely.

For some of us shooting wildlife, we know has NO Pre-Record function. This is a powerful feature available already some years ago in RED cameras and very useful for street photography using 8K for stills.

Pre-Record is a very useful feature in Olympus MILCs - at much more affordable RRPs:

https://rps.org/media/nz3jzunu/ng-enews-11.pdf

If Olympus did this years back, what's wrong with Nikon?

Whois Contributing Member • Posts: 790
Re: We'll get a book sooner!

photography-lover wrote:

MichaelHK wrote:

To me the main reason why Thom getting a Z9 now is great news is that it's going to accelerate by a few weeks the release of his Z9 book.

And that's one I will certainly buy and I fully expect to become more proficient at using the Z9 thanks to his book. So any week saved accelerates the value of my Z9.

Unless you are NPS you might get the book before you get the camera

Re: We'll get a book sooner!

Whois wrote:

photography-lover wrote:

MichaelHK wrote:

Unless you are NPS you might get the book before you get the camera

I am personally not worried about the ability of Nikon to meet demand.

NickZ2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,595

photography-lover wrote:

NickZ2016 wrote:

Canon announced they had more than the expected orders for the R3 before the Z9 was announced.

https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-already-announces-supply-shortage-for-the-eos-r3-and-the-new-lenses/

I find it strange people are surprised the R3 has sold well.  It only looks bad because the Z9 looks so exceptionally good. Even today if you have expensive EF or RF lenses it's likely the only choice for many people.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more

NickZ2016 wrote:

photography-lover wrote:

NickZ2016 wrote:

I find it strange people are surprised the R3 has sold well. It only looks bad because the Z9 looks so exceptionally good. Even today if you have expensive EF or RF lenses it's likely the only choice for many people.

I don't want to be negative, but to me the value prop of the R3 for 1dxIII users is not that great, especially when rumors about an R1 coming soon are starting to show up.

Many of the remaining Canon DSLR owners have already moved to the excellent R5... and there also, the value of the R3 isn't that obvious.

So yes, I would be surprised if the R3 sold well and the available public data indicates that it doesn't.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads