I would appreciate help idenifying this cluster in Lone Pine CA sky

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 7,870
I would appreciate help idenifying this cluster in Lone Pine CA sky

This photo was made Sept 27, 2007 early in the evening (not near dawn) on Movie Road at the big right hand turn. The cluster was close to North (about 10-15 degrees and the moon was a little below the east @ 100-105 degrees. The moon made the mountains to the west glow.

As much as I can tell, the cluster could be Pleiades but I'm a rank amateur.

Thanks for your input.

The cluster is near the right edge and near the top.

This is what the mountains toward Mt Whitney looked like.

Sorry the stars don't show up better. I don't know how to attach the actual photo.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Bob in Baltimore
Bob in Baltimore Senior Member • Posts: 1,142
Re: I would appreciate help idenifying this cluster in Lone Pine CA sky

That is the Pleiades. Beautiful isn’t it?

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +1 more
OP KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 7,870
Thanks, Bob.

I live in metro Atlanta and needless to say there's not much of an opportunity fro good night photos around here. I've had a couple in western North Carolina and I've been to the western US several times and this was the best opportunity I've had over the years. Love that area.

Going to Tucson in Feb 2022 and hope to get some more opportunities for night shots.

I didn't know how good that one was until I processed them for flickr.

Kent from GA

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads