Question about color spaces.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
dvboy Junior Member • Posts: 31
Question about color spaces.

I am trying to learn here,hope this is not a silly question.I have a Benq pd3220u monitor on its way as well as a x-rite i1 display pro.The monitor itself can quickly switch color spaces (adobe RGB, SRGB etc).If I calibrate the monitor on adobe RGB will that same ICC profile work with SRGB or would I have to recalibrate the monitor to accurately match SRGB?I guess an easier way to put it......Can different color spaces share the same ICC profile?Thanks in advance.

JohnWheeler Contributing Member • Posts: 681
Re: Question about color spaces.

dvboy wrote:

I am trying to learn here,hope this is not a silly question.I have a Benq pd3220u monitor on its way as well as a x-rite i1 display pro.The monitor itself can quickly switch color spaces (adobe RGB, SRGB etc).If I calibrate the monitor on adobe RGB will that same ICC profile work with SRGB or would I have to recalibrate the monitor to accurately match SRGB?I guess an easier way to put it......Can different color spaces share the same ICC profile?Thanks in advance.

Hi dvboy

The simple answer is no.

Here is a pair of Youtube videos that might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2zAnkNqsek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2P-AbBWdk0

-- hide signature --

John Wheeler
Never give up. Never surrender. Galaxy Quest

ggbutcher
ggbutcher Senior Member • Posts: 1,414

dvboy wrote:

An ICC profile file can only contain one matrix for color and one curve for tone, so it can only characterize one color space.  If you're switching colorspaces on your monitor it's likely to see the differences, so you'll want the proper profile for your software to translate the image to the display's selected colorspace.

ggbutcher's gear list:ggbutcher's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
OP dvboy Junior Member • Posts: 31

Hey John

Thanks for the links,good info there specific to my equipment,Much appreciated!!

JohnWheeler Contributing Member • Posts: 681

dvboy wrote:

Hey John

Thanks for the links,good info there specific to my equipment,Much appreciated!!

You're welcome dvboy

I targeted sending you links for your specific monitor (good that you provided the model number).

Hope that gives you a good headstart.

-- hide signature --

John Wheeler
Never give up. Never surrender. Galaxy Quest

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,378

dvboy wrote:

What the others say.

If you want to change the colour space of the calibration of a Benq monitor, you have to do three things:

1. Change the monitor calibration e.g. with the front panel or puck if you have one.
  2. Change the Windows/Mac default monitor profile to a profile appropriate for the new calibration.
  3. Most programs don't notice a new calibration except when they start, so you may have to exit and restart any colour-managed programs you are running at the time.  Photoshop is the only one I know that does check before rendering any image.

If you are using a program that provides soft proofing (including PS and LR) then IMHO the simplest way is to calibrate to the widest colour space (panel native, not Adobe RGB) and then when you want to see how an image might appear in another colour space, use soft proofing.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads