Applecare+ Worth It?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
SantaFeBill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174
Applecare+ Worth It?

If you've used Applecare+ what was your experience? Repairs, replacement, answering questions about IOS and other?

Thanks.

ANSWER:
jaberg
jaberg Contributing Member • Posts: 551
Re: Applecare+ Worth It?

As with any insurance the worth is dependent on your willingness and ability to assume risk.

Personally I've never purchased AppleCare. I'm not particularly accident prone and rarely damage a phone or device. (See below.) Apple has been very good with both warranty repairs and a few complimentary out of warranty repairs/replacements. (An OG iPhone and several batteries for an old PowerBook.) I've paid for a (very) few repairs out of pocket too. Including the replacement of an iPhone damaged when I fell off a paddle board — though even there Apple met me halfway. ($500 out of pocket.) Adding it up across all of my devices over many years of ownership, I'm way ahead by having self-insured.

In contrast, my BFF is death on phones and devices. She takes out the insurance on iPhone and Watch — and gets her money's worth.

The answer is it depends.

jaberg's gear list:jaberg's gear list
DxO One Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-S10 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +3 more
uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,821

There's more than the insurance aspect to consider these days. Over the last few years I have found getting Apple to step up to the bar and agree to a repair is now a consideration. My experience is the process has gone from an inconvenience to several visits with escalating tension. Its a new Apple where we are merely means of providing more and more exec comp.

I still get Applecare on my Mac's. On iOS devices I'm now taking the chance as the likelihood of needing a repair is low and the process of obtaining a repair is more a hassle than its worth.

2string
2string Senior Member • Posts: 1,248

I just purchased a iPhone 13 Pro. The AppleCare was like 15 bucks a month. I decided to go with SquareTrade at $9.63 per month. This covers drops and spills and running over it with your car. The only thing it doesn't cover is theft.

Bob A L Veteran Member • Posts: 4,297

Applecare on my 13 pro is $9.99 per month.  Not saying it's worth it but ???  its like paying insurance  on  my car that I hope I never need.

wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,851

There seems to be a difference. AppleCare+ and AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss (more expensive) coverage. US only. Theft and Loss coverage isn't available in Singapore.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/theft-loss-claims

"Is your iPhone lost or stolen? If it's covered by AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss, you can file a claim for an iPhone replacement."

"Use the Find My app or go to iCloud.com to mark your iPhone as lost.
Do not remove your device from your account until your claim has been fully approved."

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi

RobLIC
RobLIC New Member • Posts: 12

After years of owning multiple Apple products — currently seven, in a NYC studio apartment — I’ve developed a rule that works for  me: If it walks out of the house (iPhone, Watch), I purchase it. If it stays home (iPad, laptop) then I don’t.

As the others have said, it depends on your feelings about insurance. The real trick is deciding if you’re going to go month-to-month or pay in full, at a lesser price. Because I’ll tell you, it’s easy to convince yourself you’re going to wear your new titanium Watch for three years and buy AC for $149 … in the first year before the next gen.:-)

*Its ok. They happily give you a prorated refund on request.

RobLIC's gear list:RobLIC's gear list
Apple iPhone 12 Pro
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP SantaFeBill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174

RobLIC wrote:

After years of owning multiple Apple products — currently seven, in a NYC studio apartment — I’ve developed a rule that works for me: If it walks out of the house (iPhone, Watch), I purchase it. If it stays home (iPad, laptop) then I don’t.

Thanks. Makes sense to me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads