Did a7iv make it harder to decide to get the R6?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
3V AudioVideo
3V AudioVideo Regular Member • Posts: 193
Did a7iv make it harder to decide to get the R6?

Did having the Sony a7iv introduced make it harder for you to decide to purchase the Canon R6? Which did you end up purchasing?

I have an M50 and T3i, with the 70-200 2.8, a broken 50mm1.4 (but have the part to fix the focus, just need to fix it myself) and a Sigma 18-35 1.8.  I have the adapter so I can use these lenses on my gf's Sony a6400 (as well as another adapter for the M50).  So I can use these lenses on either an R6 (which I wanted to get ever since it was announced).  Not a lot of lenses.  But not until the a7iv came out did I start thinking that maybe this was the one to get instead.

I almost always do video in 1080.  I video in 4K only when I am at concerts and I am too far away when using the crop lens that goes to 200mm (the FF lens is too big so venues usually won't allow me to bring it in).  Using 4k, I can crop some more in post to get me closer to the subject, without going down in quality lower than 1080.  The Sony a7iv 4k60 is crop only, so I could use the small crop lens in venues where I can't use the larger FF L lens.  My crop Canon EF-M 55-200 can't adapt to the R6.

But I mainly want to choose the FF that would be best for stills.  Lens availability (and for the new lenses I would want to purchase), I see pros and cons for each system,  but overall a little more so an advantage with the Sony.  I don't think I need super fast AF from the Canon lenses I already have, so using an adapter with them on the Sony would be fine.

I think the a7iv could provide better stills.  They have gotten much better with their menu system, touch screen usability, ergonomics and battery life.  I really like the dedicated switch on the a7iv that allows ability to easily switch between stills and movie mode, and the menu options to choose which settings should be independent when switching.  (Even my M50 has the Movie and 'M' right next to each other on the dial, but the R6 is as far apart as possible - ugh).  But...I really like Canon's menu system and ease of use.   I am all set on a7iv and pre-ordered it, but there is this little voice in my head telling me don't give up on Canon yet.

Only I can truly decide which one to get and I spent many hours comparing.  But just wondering if anyone had a tough decision to make between these two cameras.

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bigshledge Contributing Member • Posts: 566
Re: Did a7iv make it harder to decide to get the R6?

If you're set with Sony, then why ask the question?

bigshledge's gear list:bigshledge's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +1 more
michoristo Regular Member • Posts: 254

At this point, all brands have good products.  Pick what ever looks or feels the best to you.

Tazz93
Tazz93 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193
Nah

Two different markets in the same price point. If you need speed, you go with the R6. If you prefer resolution or some of the video aspects, you go with the A7. Honestly, I think the decisions all the way around, from the RP/Z5 up to the Z9/R3/A1 are very easy to make depending on what you want. This is a weird time where none of the cameras really do the same thing or are really aimed fully at the same customers (A1 and Z9 are the closest, but have significantly different form factors).

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon Extender EF 2x II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +11 more
Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,736

By all means go for the A7IV. It appears to be a very capable camera in the right hands. Not as fast as the R6 but has 33mp so maybe you can later on tell us if it's worth the money.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
3V AudioVideo
OP 3V AudioVideo Regular Member • Posts: 193

ashbashbeard wrote:

"just wondering if anyone had a tough decision to make between these two cameras."

3V AudioVideo

michoristo wrote:

At this point, all brands have good products. Pick what ever looks or feels the best to you.

So true.

3V AudioVideo
Re: Nah

Tazz93 wrote:

Two different markets in the same price point. If you need speed, you go with the R6. If you prefer resolution or some of the video aspects, you go with the A7. Honestly, I think the decisions all the way around, from the RP/Z5 up to the Z9/R3/A1 are very easy to make depending on what you want. This is a weird time where none of the cameras really do the same thing or are really aimed fully at the same customers (A1 and Z9 are the closest, but have significantly different form factors).

I agree.  It so good to have so many variations so that so people can pick models that fit them best.  No one model is better, just better for each individual person.

3V AudioVideo

Larawanista wrote:

By all means go for the A7IV. It appears to be a very capable camera in the right hands. Not as fast as the R6 but has 33mp so maybe you can later on tell us if it's worth the money.

My brain says get the A7iv but my heart says R6.  I'm just glad I never got any Nikon crop camera in the past otherwise there may have been 1 more camera to decide on.  Pretty sure I will be getting the Sony, but I will still always keep my little Canon M50.

Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,983

3V AudioVideo wrote:

Did having the Sony a7iv introduced make it harder for you to decide to purchase the Canon R6? Which did you end up purchasing?

Nope, I have too much other Canon gear (lenses & flashes) that would make it a hassle and more expensive than it's worth to switch.  I'm very happy with the R6.

Mark

3V AudioVideo

Mark B. wrote:

3V AudioVideo wrote:

Nope, I have too much other Canon gear (lenses & flashes) that would make it a hassle and more expensive than it's worth to switch. I'm very happy with the R6.

Mark

That was my reasoning for waiting it out with Canon.  But after really thinking it out some more, I only have 2 of their FF lenses.  The 50mm is broke and might have ended up just replacing it anyway instead of fixing it. The other one I don't use often and the Sony adapter will work good enough for me.

I'm sure I would be happy with the R6.  Probably a discounted price would persuade me to get it, as that is a major reason why I was waiting to purchase it.  Before Covid, it seemed Canon cameras dropped quite a bit in price after a number of months, but it hasn't happened in over a year with the R5/R6.

Steve_tEkGuY Contributing Member • Posts: 532

3V AudioVideo wrote:

ashbashbeard wrote:

"just wondering if anyone had a tough decision to make between these two cameras."

Yup every day. Except I would most likely keep the R6 while I test Sony. Did this in 2018 with the A73 and ended up selling it after 6 months. 
i want to test the A74 with the 200-600 against my R6 with 100-400mk2 and 1.4 ext mk3. 
Also the Ef Sigma art vs Sony 1.4 primes. I hate adapters. 
its hard for many reason. For example I shoot all my videos at 4k60 because i never know when I need to slow down the video because the  teenagers did something silly on the video. Where the Sony is cropped.  I need 2 systems. 
Sony for wildlife and landscape .  and R6 for every day photo and video.  
my least used lens is the 16-35 F4 which would serve as a nice pre order deposit for the Sony. 
i just wish Canon would bring out an APSC R7. That would stop me for now.

Steve_tEkGuY's gear list:Steve_tEkGuY's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Sony a7 IV Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Occams Razor Senior Member • Posts: 1,184

I understand how you feel but ultimately you can't go wrong with either system.  If you like the Sony ergonomics, menus and colors then the A7IV seems like the better choice.  It would be good for you to assess both cameras at a local camera store or even better, rent both bodies, albeit with a little bit of an investment.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Occams Razor's gear list:Occams Razor's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +3 more
3V AudioVideo

Occams Razor wrote:

I understand how you feel but ultimately you can't go wrong with either system. If you like the Sony ergonomics, menus and colors then the A7IV seems like the better choice. It would be good for you to assess both cameras at a local camera store or even better, rent both bodies, albeit with a little bit of an investment.

Good luck.

Great idea! Thanks!

ZX11
ZX11 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,745
50 f/1.4 lens hood

When you fix the EF 50 f/1.4, put a lens hood on it.  Put a lens hood on it to protect the moving front element from pressure that damages the focusing system.  Also always put the lens on its metal camera mount and not resting on it's front element.

I would be interested in the Sony if it mounted the RF 85 f/1.2, RF 100-500, or the old EF 70-200mm IS mk III.  Those are the lenses I want in a similar way that some men prefer blondes.  I don't care that some people prefer red heads or arguably,...Sony lenses.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +1 more
palane Regular Member • Posts: 252

3V AudioVideo wrote:

Larawanista wrote:

My brain says get the A7iv but my heart says R6. I'm just glad I never got any Nikon crop camera in the past otherwise there may have been 1 more camera to decide on. Pretty sure I will be getting the Sony, but I will still always keep my little Canon M50.

My brain says R6,ive used it and its great but I'm waiting for a price drop.

I got the RP almost 2 years ago and adapt L glass and some lesser primes.

Also own the 35F1.8 and 24-240 RFs.Intend to buy the 800 and 16f2.8.

The RP does brilliant 1080 btw,4K is 1.75x crop but works well manually focused but can hunt in AF.

The Sony sounds good on paper but Raw is only 6fps,a lessor gets the 10fps.

R6 has much better video capability and uses the cards you have now.With the Sony you will need CFexpress type A that cost$.

A reduced price R6 will be much better value but go hire both and then decide.

The Sony has the advantage of 3rd party support from Sigma/Tamron.

3V AudioVideo
Re: 50 f/1.4 lens hood

ZX11 wrote:

When you fix the EF 50 f/1.4, put a lens hood on it. Put a lens hood on it to protect the moving front element from pressure that damages the focusing system. Also always put the lens on its metal camera mount and not resting on it's front element.

I would be interested in the Sony if it mounted the RF 85 f/1.2, RF 100-500, or the old EF 70-200mm IS mk III. Those are the lenses I want in a similar way that some men prefer blondes. I don't care that some people prefer red heads or arguably,...Sony lenses.

Thanks for the tips on the 50 mm lens!

3V AudioVideo

palane wrote:

3V AudioVideo wrote:

Larawanista wrote:

My brain says get the A7iv but my heart says R6. I'm just glad I never got any Nikon crop camera in the past otherwise there may have been 1 more camera to decide on. Pretty sure I will be getting the Sony, but I will still always keep my little Canon M50.

My brain says R6,ive used it and its great but I'm waiting for a price drop.

I got the RP almost 2 years ago and adapt L glass and some lesser primes.

Also own the 35F1.8 and 24-240 RFs.Intend to buy the 800 and 16f2.8.

The RP does brilliant 1080 btw,4K is 1.75x crop but works well manually focused but can hunt in AF.

The Sony sounds good on paper but Raw is only 6fps,a lessor gets the 10fps.

R6 has much better video capability and uses the cards you have now.With the Sony you will need CFexpress type A that cost$.

A reduced price R6 will be much better value but go hire both and then decide.

The Sony has the advantage of 3rd party support from Sigma/Tamron.

Thanks for the bit of info about the CFexpress type A.  I will have to read the manual to see in which settings they are required for and what advantages they have over the other cards.  And look up the price of the cards.

Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,736

3V AudioVideo wrote:

Larawanista wrote:

The past six months I've been using the R6 tells me it's worth the money. Keeper rate North of 90%. Superb video capabilities too. My days of focusing and recomposing are completely over. Focusing points are where I want them to be all of the time. And there's a firmware update in a couple of days, to further improve Eye AF, and add vehicle etc as an option. What wows me the most, however, is high ISO performance. It's the first camera I comfortably use at ISO12800.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Davidof_CR Regular Member • Posts: 155

I would also take handling and ergonomy into account.

it is very subjective, of course, so you should test both cameras before deciding.

Consider you preferences and feel the grip

For example I have become “addicted” to dual back button setup (or ever tripple), so that camera without it is no-go for me

So I would ask myself - how do the cameras feel in my hands, what about the viewfinder,, what about the button setup …

I wish you nice time with whichever camera you chose

David

Davidof_CR's gear list:Davidof_CR's gear list
Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads