New Mac advice needed

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Mark S Abeln
Mark S Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 18,721
New Mac advice needed

I have an old iMac—Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 Intel, 32 GB RAM, Late 2014—which is adequate for all of my work (except when I'm stacking images in Photoshop!) but it has started crashing frequently, with diagnostics giving me a NDC001 code.

If I would need to replace my iMac soon, what would you recommend? For sure, I wouldn't want to compromise on speed, and maybe I'd be willing to live with a slightly smaller screen with less resolution.

I mainly use Adobe Lightroom Classic and Photoshop, although I also use Nikon NX Studio, which is slow on my machine.

Mark S Abeln's gear list:Mark S Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Nick on the Baltic
Nick on the Baltic Contributing Member • Posts: 529
Re: New Mac advice needed

If you can wait, hold out for new models next year - 27" iMac if you like the all-in-one format, or a rumoured high-end Mac Mini if you'd rather have a separate monitor.

On the other hand, if you want a laptop, go for the 16" MBP 

That error code indicates a problem with the Mac's camera. If you can get it to an Apple store for repair it's probably not very expensive.

-- hide signature --

Nick on the Baltic

Nick on the Baltic's gear list:Nick on the Baltic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Mark S Abeln
OP Mark S Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 18,721

Nick on the Baltic wrote:

If you can wait, hold out for new models next year - 27" iMac if you like the all-in-one format, or a rumoured high-end Mac Mini if you'd rather have a separate monitor.

Yeah, I like the iMac format; I had a Mac Mini at one time but getting it to work well with the external monitor was a problem.

I've never enjoyed waiting for the next version to come out. Usually I wait until total failure, then I go get a replacement the same day, although the supply problems may make this unreasonable.

On the other hand, if you want a laptop, go for the 16" MBP

Nah. Had a Mac Pro laptop for a while, and that was not pleasant for doing image editing.

That error code indicates a problem with the Mac's camera. If you can get it to an Apple store for repair it's probably not very expensive.

Hmmmm. Maybe.

Mark S Abeln's gear list:Mark S Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Nick on the Baltic
Nick on the Baltic Contributing Member • Posts: 529

If you don't want to wait, go for the 24" iMac. It'll blow the socks off your current machine performance-wise. The screen is smaller, but resolution not much less. The main drawback is it maxes out at 16GB RAM, but allegedly the M1 chip is easier on RAM. I think it also doesn't support an external GPU, for what that's worth to you.

If you bought one now, you could return it early January if not satisfied. When the new 27" iMacs are out you could surely sell the 24" for a relatively small loss.

-- hide signature --

Nick on the Baltic

Nick on the Baltic's gear list:Nick on the Baltic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads