dead flash on my a5100 ... looking for options

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Alex Notpro
Alex Notpro Senior Member • Posts: 1,013
dead flash on my a5100 ... looking for options

The flash on my a5100 has been dead for some time.

I've been waiting for the price to drop so I could just buy a replacement body. Unfortunately it seems this discontinued camera is still quite popular and has retained the same value or higher from when it was new, about five years ago.

How hard would it be to get the flash repaired?

I normally use the a5100 with a pancake lens like the 16mm f/2.8 or the 16-50 zoom. It fits in my pocket when I don't want to carry the a7ii.

Anybody else ever encountered this?

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony a5100 Sony a7 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +7 more
Dick Barbour
Dick Barbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,582
Re: dead flash on my a5100 ... looking for options

Alex Notpro wrote:

The flash on my a5100 has been dead for some time.

I've been waiting for the price to drop so I could just buy a replacement body. Unfortunately it seems this discontinued camera is still quite popular and has retained the same value or higher from when it was new, about five years ago.

How hard would it be to get the flash repaired?

I normally use the a5100 with a pancake lens like the 16mm f/2.8 or the 16-50 zoom. It fits in my pocket when I don't want to carry the a7ii.

Anybody else ever encountered this?

Well, I was going to suggest a small external flash, but looked up the a5100 and found it doesn't have a hot shoe, so that won't work for you. As for pricing, I found a used a5100 at mpb.com for $269, and they also have the a6000 for just $100 more if you want to move up a little. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them; I've had nothing but good luck with gear from them.

Dick

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads