Firmware 3.40 issues

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
MSullivan Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: Firmware 3.40 issues

Double check that you're set to the human eye AF and not the animal one. My Z7 looks like it defaulted to animal after the update and I had to switch it back.

MSullivan's gear list:MSullivan's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +5 more
Boudewijn van der Drift
Boudewijn van der Drift Senior Member • Posts: 1,000

This would require the portraitee to sit very still.

There is a long pause between letting go of the backbutton and the shutter. Children and adults in conversation keep on moving. I use focus priority though and AF-S now.

Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list:Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +2 more
Boudewijn van der Drift
Re: More info?

Verto wrote:

I don't use Nikon software and I don't plan to install it just to show the focus issues.

You can view the AF squares while you are in playback on the camera, by pressing the display button.

And will be surprisd how off they are in AF-S and focuspriority.

I improved with AF-C, till to try shutterpriority.

Boudewijn van der Drift

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Verto wrote

I think you can go back to the previous firmware (if you need a copy of it I might have a copy if you need it, but it's at your own risk -- I've never reverted back to a previous firmware version).

Reverting worked in my case. But I suspect when there is a menu change, which was the case from 3.3* to 3.40, Nikon translated some settings going from 3.3 to .3.4, but not in  reverse. When I got back to 3.40 I had to check and amend.

astirusty Senior Member • Posts: 1,399

Can you try another Z6, perhaps borrow or rent one.  Set it up same as your Z6, then shoot with it under same circumstances.

I am wondering if you have a Z6 which isn't quite up to spec hardware wise.  Essentially, new firmware pushes your Z6 to failure when it comes to AF.

astirusty's gear list:astirusty's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR Nikon Z 14-24mm F2.8 +4 more
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,259

astirusty wrote:

Can you try another Z6, perhaps borrow or rent one. Set it up same as your Z6, then shoot with it under same circumstances.

I am wondering if you have a Z6 which isn't quite up to spec hardware wise. Essentially, new firmware pushes your Z6 to failure when it comes to AF.

One thing that I'm not sure if it was addressed (bought up) or not is that the 24-200's AF is not exactly the fastest out there.  Granted it SHOULD be able to keep up but if the OP experiences this one two lenses, one being the 50 1.8 I'm inclined to think it's either a defect in the camera some how (and I know you recommended testing another Z6, which I agree, try that) or user error somewhere (possibly focus mode selection is not suitable for the specific task.  Without knowing the exact setup of the camera and environment, it's going to be harder to tell I think.

-- hide signature --

(NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread.)

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +10 more
lisa_camp Forum Member • Posts: 83

Verto wrote:

I have some unfortunate news about the new firmware to report. I've tested it twice in a professional setting and the hit rate is at least 2 times worse than before. I'm basically getting twice the amount of out of focus shots than before. This is strictly speaking of face and eye detect. I was initially very excited as the tracking speed on the screen is much faster and the face and eye track from farther away, but the hit rate is worse. This was tested with stationary subjects as well as moving. The camera would just focus on the background. I used the same settings and lens before and after the firmware. The 50mm 1.8 and the 24-200mm. I wish I could go back to the previous firmware. Has anyone else had similar results in real world shoots?

You obviously need to try this with focus priority enabled, not release priority…!

A Owens Veteran Member • Posts: 3,623
Caution required....

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Could you provide some SPECIFIC issues and a couple of screen shot documentation?

Overwhelming positive response to the update. Includes me.

Maybe we can help you with your issues.

Yeah I'm a little curious myself about the "lag" some people are talking about. Luckily tomorrow I'll have a chance to test out mine with the 3.4 firmware on a portrait shoot....

Please note that Mr Yasher joined only today and this is his first and only post.

A Owens's gear list:A Owens's gear list
Nikon Z9
OP Verto Regular Member • Posts: 379

lisa_camp wrote:

Verto wrote:

I have some unfortunate news about the new firmware to report. I've tested it twice in a professional setting and the hit rate is at least 2 times worse than before. I'm basically getting twice the amount of out of focus shots than before. This is strictly speaking of face and eye detect. I was initially very excited as the tracking speed on the screen is much faster and the face and eye track from farther away, but the hit rate is worse. This was tested with stationary subjects as well as moving. The camera would just focus on the background. I used the same settings and lens before and after the firmware. The 50mm 1.8 and the 24-200mm. I wish I could go back to the previous firmware. Has anyone else had similar results in real world shoots?

You obviously need to try this with focus priority enabled, not release priority…!

It's already on that.

OP Verto Regular Member • Posts: 379

I've been using the same lens and settings for two years and never had an issue. I also know the camera inside and out settings wise, NOTHING changed. The fact remains that my hit rate is lower even though the tracking box and eye tracking are moving super fast and smooth.

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,642
Re: More info?

Boudewijn van der Drift wrote:

Verto wrote:

I don't use Nikon software and I don't plan to install it just to show the focus issues.

You can view the AF squares while you are in playback on the camera, by pressing the display button.

And will be surprisd how off they are in AF-S and focuspriority.

I improved with AF-C,

Same here when hand holding and a fairly close, live subject.  AF-C will track your movements (such as breathing or other minute movements) perfectly.

till to try shutterpriority.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
Creating art is not enough; it needs to be shared. Sharing demands that you reveal who you are as an artist and how technically inclined you are. To share, you must be, on some level, vulnerable in front of your friends, family, and peers. There's no reward without risk. I suggest being vulnerable and taking that risk. - Jason Bradley

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Z-mounter Forum Member • Posts: 50
Strange, you are obviously the only one ...

... very very strange, don't you think

Vince P
Vince P Senior Member • Posts: 2,603

I have no dog in this fight as I no longer have Z6 or Z7 MkI however people have literally had the previous firmware on one body and the new firmware on the second body on the same tripod shooting the same subject and showed more keepers with the new firmware.

To say you didn't use AFC, because neither the subject, nor you were moving is introducing a variable that is hard to rule out. Especially as you are not even comparing hit rates at the same shoot. It's not been my experience that both subjects and I stay still enough for me to say it couldn't have caused a focus shift.

It's easy enough set up a fixed target (Mannequin or even a headshot should be fine if you want to use eye AF) and the camera on a tripod on AFS, refocus each time and see how often the camera produces an OOF image.

Vince P's gear list:Vince P's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Panasonic GH5S Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 +82 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,962
Re: Not my experience

I can't say I share OP's experience either. After FW 3.4 both my Z7 and Z6 have much more accurate focusing results and better hit rates overall. I don't shoot studio, but I shoot very very dark wedding receptions with movement.

Studio is fine too . shot Aldi North west`s Staff photos with the 24-70 and only one shot out of countless (Take 3 of each to choose the best) was less than perfectly focussed , I setup a makeshift studio in one of their conference rooms at the Distribution headquarters . the Z7 BTW was a breeze and made the job more efficient than my usual D850 setup

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon G5 X II Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
Writern Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Strange, you are obviously the only one ...

Z-mounter wrote:

... very very strange, don't you think

No. I also experienced the same. Still do, to a certain extent. Better with AF-S, but not as good as before 3.40. Using 24-70 f4 and 50 f1.8.

lisa_camp Forum Member • Posts: 83

Verto wrote:

I've been using the same lens and settings for two years and never had an issue. I also know the camera inside and out settings wise, NOTHING changed. The fact remains that my hit rate is lower even though the tracking box and eye tracking are moving super fast and smooth.

I haven’t read all the comments here, but have you tried backing up your settings and resetting the camera?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads