Firmware 3.40 issues

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Verto Regular Member • Posts: 360
Firmware 3.40 issues

I have some unfortunate news about the new firmware to report. I've tested it twice in a professional setting and the hit rate is at least 2 times worse than before. I'm basically getting twice the amount of out of focus shots than before. This is strictly speaking of face and eye detect. I was initially very excited as the tracking speed on the screen is much faster and the face and eye track from farther away, but the hit rate is worse. This was tested with stationary subjects as well as moving. The camera would just focus on the background. I used the same settings and lens before and after the firmware. The 50mm 1.8 and the 24-200mm. I wish I could go back to the previous firmware. Has anyone else had similar results in real world shoots?

fbuis
fbuis Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: Firmware 3.40 issues

Nikon Z6 or Z7 ?

fbuis's gear list:fbuis's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z5 +25 more
Qbalion
Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 634

I did 2 photo sessions after upgrading my Z7 to FW 3.4.

During the first session in the dark studio I was using external flashes with only leading bulbs producing a dim ambient light - not really very demanding light conditions. I was very unsuccesful with sharp portraits even if eye/face detection rectangles were in place. I was doing similar sessions half a year back with Z6 (FW probably 2.x or 3.0) with very good results.

After the session I discovered that many pictures were taken with AF-C Release Priority which could be the cause of many OOF shots. Later this week I hope to check a studio setup with AF-S and Focus Priority combinations.

But I also did another session during a day in a studio with large windows allowing me to shot in natural light. My keepers ratio was very much ok that day - probably comparable to Z6 FW 3.0 and Z7 FW 3.3.

I am not sure now if FW ver 3.4 made Z7 struggling with OOF faces when using face/eye recognition in low light conditions or those problems were always there with Z7 and not that much with Z6 which I was using before...

-- hide signature --

Our craft over our lenses over the camera bodies

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
OP Verto Regular Member • Posts: 360

Z6

OP Verto Regular Member • Posts: 360

I guess I'm not the only one who noticed a difference in keeper shots. Maybe Nikon compromised the visual speed of the AF over accuracy. That's would be unfortunate, but it's my reality as of right now.

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,750

Mine Z6 is faster and more accurate across the board. Especially in low light. I was very pleasantly surprised.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +12 more
DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,617

Use AF-S, Focus Priority with EyeAF. It will still track eyes/face in AF-S mode. Your hit rate will increase.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II
LarsHP
LarsHP Contributing Member • Posts: 518

My experience is that AF accuracy has gone up, not down, with FW 3.4.

LarsHP's gear list:LarsHP's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +12 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,787

Verto wrote:

I have some unfortunate news about the new firmware to report. I've tested it twice in a professional setting and the hit rate is at least 2 times worse than before.

That is certainly not my experience with FW 3.40 - on both Z6 and Z7.

Have you checked all the camera settings?  Don't assume everything is still set as it was after a firmware update to the AF logic.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +19 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,934
Same here . Z7

LarsHP wrote:

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon G5 X II Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
TITCHY Senior Member • Posts: 1,370

my hit rate for accurate focus has gone up a lot since the new firmware, also an increase in focus tracking (box) hit rate, overall a really nice experience, on both Z6 and Z7

not noticed any negative effects so far.

TITCHY's gear list:TITCHY's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +65 more
just Tony
just Tony Veteran Member • Posts: 3,859
More info?

Can you post a screenshot from Nikon editing software that shows the focus square on the eye, with the face is blurry and the background is sharp?

-- hide signature --

Wag more; bark less.

Qbalion
Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 634

Could be an operator mistake in our cases mate Or the issues occur just with specific conditions/settings?

Please share your settings? Was in AF-S or AF-C? Please check also Release/Focus priority and other AF settings.

What scenes did you shoot and in what conditions? Natural light or flashes?

I am happy that the others report just improvements and success but I'd like find what is the cause of my (our) issues.

I also consider a downgrade to ver 3.31 just to compare the results.

-- hide signature --

Our craft over our lenses over the camera bodies

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
Writern Forum Member • Posts: 94

Verto wrote:

I have some unfortunate news about the new firmware to report. I've tested it twice in a professional setting and the hit rate is at least 2 times worse than before. I'm basically getting twice the amount of out of focus shots than before. This is strictly speaking of face and eye detect. I was initially very excited as the tracking speed on the screen is much faster and the face and eye track from farther away, but the hit rate is worse. This was tested with stationary subjects as well as moving. The camera would just focus on the background. I used the same settings and lens before and after the firmware. The 50mm 1.8 and the 24-200mm. I wish I could go back to the previous firmware. Has anyone else had similar results in real world shoots?

I did some testshots with my Z6 after i installed 3.4, and in fact I was thinking that I got surpricingly many shots oof. Didn’t think more about it, until now.

What AF settings do you use?

LarsHP
LarsHP Contributing Member • Posts: 518

Writern wrote:

AF-S + subject tracking or Eye-AF.

LarsHP's gear list:LarsHP's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +12 more

LarsHP wrote:

Writern wrote:

AF-S + subject tracking or Eye-AF.

Ah. Thanx for info. I used AF-C on my test shots. Will try more.

LTheWafflePWN Regular Member • Posts: 142
Not my experience

AdamT wrote:

LarsHP wrote:

I can't say I share OP's experience either. After FW 3.4 both my Z7 and Z6 have much more accurate focusing results and better hit rates overall. I don't shoot studio, but I shoot very very dark wedding receptions with movement.

I'm hoping for OP's sake that maybe the FW reset some kind of menu setting that can be fixed to improve your hit rate.

LTheWafflePWN's gear list:LTheWafflePWN's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +21 more
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,055

Verto wrote:

Just out of curiousity, are the people's eyes/faces clear or do they have costumes on or a lot of make-up. I have noticed (not so much with the original Z but with my Z6 II) sometimes the camera has a hard time locking on to a subject if they are, for example, wearing glasses or something.

I'd have to test out my Z7 (gen 1) body at my next photo shoot (in a few weeks) to see if what you describe can be replicated as I'm curious.

Overall, though, even when I was using my Z7 in previous shoots (prior to the v3.xx updates) the camera did a decent job in most lighting conditions.  But as others have recommended, maybe switch to AF-S.  I generally don't use AF-C for face/eye detect either.

-- hide signature --

(NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread.)

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +10 more
wcan Regular Member • Posts: 332

Verto wrote:

Did you notify Nikon?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads