Which Bird is this?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
Joel Klein
Joel Klein Senior Member • Posts: 1,000
Which Bird is this?

Skimmed across the lake, had to Topaz it to get it somewhat acceptable looking.

Joel Klein's gear list:Joel Klein's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
archerscreek Contributing Member • Posts: 514
Re: Which Bird is this?

Joel Klein wrote:

Looks like a Great Blue Heron to me.

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/great-blue-heron

Joel Klein
OP Joel Klein Senior Member • Posts: 1,000

archerscreek wrote:

Joel Klein wrote:

Looks like a Great Blue Heron to me.

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/great-blue-heron

Oh wow. Thanks.

Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +4 more
Berend Botje Regular Member • Posts: 299

Yes, a great blue heron it seems to me too.

Best, Jan

Berend Botje's gear list:Berend Botje's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +3 more
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,833

I was shooting a lot of birds last year. allaboutbirds.com had a really easy to use bird finder app that you can access on their website or download to your phone. If you plan on shooting birds, it's worth checking out.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II

Some more great blue herons. Nothing special. My Tamron 100-400 is no match for my companion who likes to chase them off before I get to take a picture.

Panasonic LX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +3 more
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 2,307

The Merlin app by the Cornell Department of Ornithology is a good resource to identify birds.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Ricoh GR III Ricoh GR IIIx Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T4 Leica M11 +32 more
Joel Klein
OP Joel Klein Senior Member • Posts: 1,000

Fazal Majid wrote:

The Merlin app by the Cornell Department of Ornithology is a good resource to identify birds.

Yep. I downloaded it. Turns out I was mistaken on some birds.  Especially the seagulls you see in Brooklyn, I didn’t quite looked exactly the same so I see the kids I shot was a Gull not a seagulls which are way bigger

Thanks!!

kbrkr
kbrkr Senior Member • Posts: 1,923

Great Blue Heron's are such majestic birds with a pterodactyl style call.

kbrkr's gear list:kbrkr's gear list
Nikon Z9

Thank you for posting this link. It seems a great app that covers birds from all around the world.

Best

PankajDubey Senior Member • Posts: 1,782
Google lens is ok too

Joel Klein wrote:

PankajDubey's gear list:PankajDubey's gear list
Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon Df Sony a6400 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z5 +16 more
TomS53 Senior Member • Posts: 1,904

Audubon also has an app, to identify birds, that you can install on your phone. I use it, and the Merlin Bird ID App by Cornell that Fazal noted above.

It is also helpful to indicate where you took the bird photo; as bird IDs may change depending where you are in the US and or other parts of the world.

Stay Safe!

TomS53's gear list:TomS53's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +9 more
Peter M J Contributing Member • Posts: 540

Its a great blue heron

Regards Peter

Peter M J's gear list:Peter M J's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +2 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,958

Peter M J wrote:

Its a great blue heron

Regards Peter

Your second picture taken with D850 looks majestic, crisp (despite of ISO1250 noise/grain) and well lighted with perfect white balance. The first picture taken with Z7 lacking all of this. Is there something you want to tell us?

butterflyman Forum Member • Posts: 86

So is a real field guide.

Good but not always correct.  You have to set it up properly to get mostly correct answers.

Technically there is no such thing as a seagull.  The gulls around NY would be Herring, Ring-billed and possibly Bonaparte's, Great Black-backed Gull and maybe Lesser Black-backed Gull.  In winter a few other rarer species may show up.

Yes, one of the first things to look at is where you are.  This narrows the field down considerably.  This is one of the problems new users of apps have, they do not set up the location and leave it at "world".

ARClark
ARClark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624

The great blue heron is a fascinating bird. I enjoy watching them fish. This one has coiled its neck getting ready to strike.

BTW, I have iBird and Peterson’s guides on my cell phone.  Peterson’s is a basic guide but good if you want to browse for an unknown bird.  I like the photos in iBird for verifying IDs.

Alan

ARClark's gear list:ARClark's gear list
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +14 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,958

ARClark wrote:

The great blue heron is a fascinating bird. I enjoy watching them fish. This one has coiled its neck getting ready to strike.

Wow, that's a fantastic photo! How close have you been / which lens did you use?

Here is the continuation of the story (OOC P950, taken from the other side of a river):

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads