Use of Leica Q2 AFL+AEL lock button

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Varkdriver Regular Member • Posts: 393
Use of Leica Q2 AFL+AEL lock button

I am new the Leica forum having just purchased a Q2.  I use a lot of "stitched panos" when I travel for landscapes and got use the X100V where you could lock the focus and exposure and take multiple exposures while the AFL+AEL remained locked.

On the Q2, it appears that the AFL+AEL lock resets after each exposure.  This makes taking successive exposures challenging to keep exposure value consistent from frame to frame.

I am sure a German engineer thinks this is the way to do it so you don't forget to unlock the AFL+AEL, but I much prefer the Fuji way of doing it.

Could be a "deal breaker" for me and the Q2...

Any way around this in the settings menu?

Varkdriver's gear list:Varkdriver's gear list
Leica Q2 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
SrMi
SrMi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,075
Re: Use of Leica Q2 AFL+AEL lock button

Varkdriver wrote:

I am new the Leica forum having just purchased a Q2. I use a lot of "stitched panos" when I travel for landscapes and got use the X100V where you could lock the focus and exposure and take multiple exposures while the AFL+AEL remained locked.

On the Q2, it appears that the AFL+AEL lock resets after each exposure. This makes taking successive exposures challenging to keep exposure value consistent from frame to frame.

I am sure a German engineer thinks this is the way to do it so you don't forget to unlock the AFL+AEL, but I much prefer the Fuji way of doing it.

Could be a "deal breaker" for me and the Q2...

Any way around this in the settings menu?

The only workaround is to switch to MF. Unfortunately, Q2 (and CL) do not allow real BBF.

OP Varkdriver Regular Member • Posts: 393

Thank you for your response.  Of course I can manually focus.  Not a problem, but exposure lock still only holds for one shutter actuation making it difficult to hold even exposure over several frames especially in the sky.

Leica Q2 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
SrMi
SrMi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,075

Varkdriver wrote:

Thank you for your response. Of course I can manually focus. Not a problem, but exposure lock still only holds for one shutter actuation making it difficult to hold even exposure over several frames especially in the sky.

I always do panos with manual exposure and manual focus, though I use BBF when available.

OP Varkdriver Regular Member • Posts: 393

Roger that.  It was just so easy on the X100V.

I'll go out and get some practice with the all manual technique.

Thanks.

David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 6,075

I always switch to full manual when I take pics for stitched panos. That way I know any screwups are down to me rather than the gear. 

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads