Z6ii - anyway to delete touch screen icon from rear screen??

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 833
Z6ii - anyway to delete touch screen icon from rear screen??

There is a little touch screen icon near the top left of my rear screen (has a finger touching a screen), on the Z6ii.  I only ever want it on 'position focus point'.  However, because I bump it with my nose or touch it accidentally, it turns into something else ('touch AF', or 'touch shutter/touch AF').  Is there some way I can leave it locked to 'position focus point', but move the wretched icon off the screen so it is not permanently getting bumped.  Thanks somebody!

Sutto

mga010 Regular Member • Posts: 404
Re: Z6ii - anyway to delete touch screen icon from rear screen??

I looked for that too, but no. I hink it is a dumb idea to put such a trigger on that display. Who changes that behaviour on a regular basis? You can use user modes to make sure the camera is set as you like.

mga010's gear list:mga010's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Nikkor Z 28mm F2.8
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,532

Sutto wrote:

There is a little touch screen icon near the top left of my rear screen (has a finger touching a screen), on the Z6ii. I only ever want it on 'position focus point'. However, because I bump it with my nose or touch it accidentally, it turns into something else ('touch AF', or 'touch shutter/touch AF'). Is there some way I can leave it locked to 'position focus point', but move the wretched icon off the screen so it is not permanently getting bumped. Thanks somebody!

I guess not, so far.  What about that dumb little frame in frame rectangle in the bottom right corner of the frame when reviewing images?  I really, really wish that was not in the way. 

Sutto

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
Creating art is not enough; it needs to be shared. Sharing demands that you reveal who you are as an artist and how technically inclined you are. To share, you must be, on some level, vulnerable in front of your friends, family, and peers. There's no reward without risk. I suggest being vulnerable and taking that risk. - Jason Bradley

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,615

For still photography, the icon doesn't make sense. But for video, it makes sense.

To answer your question, I don't think you can turn that off. But write to Nikon requesting that they add the feature to turn off the icon at will, within the Menu.

Or at least turn it off when an eye is pressed up against the eye viewfinder.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II

DezM wrote:

Isn't that turned off automatically? On some cameras, you can use the black screen to set the focus while you are looking through the EVF. This is acrobatic, but it can be done. AFAIK, it is not possible in Zs.

The "configurability" of the Z displays could be improved anyway. One of the display options should get a menu to select items from. E.g., I'd love to have a perfectly blank screen. I often set objects too high, fooled by the stuff that is on the lower edge of the screen.

Joel Klein
Joel Klein Contributing Member • Posts: 962

mga010 wrote:

DezM wrote:

Isn't that turned off automatically? On some cameras, you can use the black screen to set the focus while you are looking through the EVF. This is acrobatic, but it can be done. AFAIK, it is not possible in Zs.

The "configurability" of the Z displays could be improved anyway. One of the display options should get a menu to select items from. E.g., I'd love to have a perfectly blank screen. I often set objects too high, fooled by the stuff that is on the lower edge of the screen.

Good morning. 
When your using the LCD to compose you could clear the screen entirely with the red video recording button.

Joel Klein's gear list:Joel Klein's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 20mm F1.8 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +4 more

Joel Klein wrote

Good morning.
When your using the LCD to compose you could clear the screen entirely with the red video recording button.

That would be nice. But which setting for the red video button do you use here. I found none that would do the trick. The 50% magnification removes the clutter, but also magnifies.

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,615

mga010 wrote:

DezM wrote:

I'm not sure. I'm not having the issue that the OP is having. I mainly use the eye viewfinder.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II
BSiler Contributing Member • Posts: 664

I don't know if this will help, but on my Z 7II, I have programmed a center-press of the joystick to remove all displayed information from the LCD screen -- including the icon you mentioned.  When I do so, the chosen touch screen function still works but there is no icon for toggling from one touch function to another.  Of course, the downside is you don't see any info displayed on the LCD.

BSiler's gear list:BSiler's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +2 more

BSiler wrote:

I don't know if this will help, but on my Z 7II, I have programmed a center-press of the joystick to remove all displayed information from the LCD screen -- including the icon you mentioned. When I do so, the chosen touch screen function still works but there is no icon for toggling from one touch function to another. Of course, the downside is you don't see any info displayed on the LCD.

That seems to be a setting which does not exist on the Z5, or I can't find it. Can you provide more details.

BSiler Contributing Member • Posts: 664

I'm not familiar with the Z5. On the Z 7II, menu item f2 allows you to assign functions to whatever buttons are custom controllable. Here is a phone picture of the f2 menu screen, with the center joystick button highlighted.

As you can see from the text on this menu screen, I've programmed the sub-selector center (what I call the joystick center press) for "Live view info display off."

If I remember right, the "Live view info off" function was not originally found on the Z 7 or Z 7 II. I think it was added in a firmware update.

I'm not bothered by the touch screen icon that the OP dislikes.  But I do often like to clear the live view LCD of all displayed information.

BSiler's gear list:BSiler's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +2 more

I See. On the Z5, you can program it too. The dialog looks different. But that option seems to be missing.

Boudewijn van der Drift
Boudewijn van der Drift Contributing Member • Posts: 931

I have humble Z*(I)'s.

And if I hit that icon in it's "on" state it goes to "off". So you would be extremely unlucky to hit that exact spot again with your nose :-). Unless it is, uj, well never mind. Which would turn the he click-to-select-an-af-point "on" again.

That's what I put it in, at the first bother, and never had the problem anymore.

Getting rid of the icon, I would not know.

And maybe the II's are different on this point.

I used it once or twice, on tripod trying to shoot birds on a feeding abri.

Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list:Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +2 more
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 7,110

Sutto wrote:

There is a little touch screen icon near the top left of my rear screen (has a finger touching a screen), on the Z6ii. I only ever want it on 'position focus point'. However, because I bump it with my nose or touch it accidentally, it turns into something else ('touch AF', or 'touch shutter/touch AF'). Is there some way I can leave it locked to 'position focus point', but move the wretched icon off the screen so it is not permanently getting bumped. Thanks somebody!

Sutto

How can you change it by bumping it with your nose? The touch controls are deactivated when the viewfinder is on.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic GH5 +17 more
OP Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 833

Yes - you are correct.  After I had written this question, I worked out it couldn't be my nose because it turns off the screen as you bring it up to your face.  I think I had been bumping it with my thumb after pulling out the flip screen, pushing it back down, then bringing my eye up to the finder.  Thanks for all of those who gave constructive advice, I'll see if I can apply it to fix my problem.

Sutto

sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,974

Sutto wrote:

Sutto

I think your only option is to turn off touch functions for shoot (focus/shutter, etc).

-- hide signature --

(NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread.)

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z6 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads