** ONE VERY VERSATILE LENS**

Started 8 months ago | User reviews
Marko_Finland
Marko_Finland Senior Member • Posts: 1,400
Re: ** ONE VERY VERSATILE LENS**

Nice and well written review. I also got the lens a few weeks back as I got a bit fed up with changing lenses especially when hiking. I'm really quite happy with it.

Marko

Marko_Finland's gear list:Marko_Finland's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-M1 III OM-1 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +3 more
OP Stevie Boy Blue Senior Member • Posts: 1,770

Marko_Finland wrote:

Nice and well written review. I also got the lens a few weeks back as I got a bit fed up with changing lenses especially when hiking. I'm really quite happy with it.

Marko

Thank you, Marko. I appreciate the compliment.

It's great to know that you're also enjoying your copy of this lens. It's understandable why anyone would become fed up with having to switch glass, especially from a hiking perspective where most would appreciate a single yet versatile option such as this one.

Looks like you've found your ideal companion in the 14 - 140 Mk2 and I'm really pleased for ya.

Have fun with it.

Cheers...

108 Senior Member • Posts: 1,284

The 14-140 is a great lens , versatility and sharpness . I found it much better than its Oly counterpart, the 14-150 . I got rid of mine because it was slightly decentered at certain foal lenghts ( 20, 45 , 80 if I remember well )...."slightly" is still too much for me, lol

I missed it this year while on holidays , one has never to worry about changing lenses , and I love shooting around 90-120 , which this lens nicely delivers . I have found also that these 10x zooms benefit from shooting electronic shutter , sharpness and clarity are better . I will surely buy the wr version  next year, my online retailer in Germany has assured me I could send the lens back in case of decentering .

108's gear list:108's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,452

I have it and really like it. For extra reach I use 2x zoom with little loss of quality. 4x is not to great.

Thanks for your input, 108. Good of ya to post.

Cheers...

108 wrote:

The 14-140 is a great lens , versatility and sharpness . I found it much better than its Oly counterpart, the 14-150 . I got rid of mine because it was slightly decentered at certain foal lenghts ( 20, 45 , 80 if I remember well )...."slightly" is still too much for me, lol

I missed it this year while on holidays , one has never to worry about changing lenses , and I love shooting around 90-120 , which this lens nicely delivers . I have found also that these 10x zooms benefit from shooting electronic shutter , sharpness and clarity are better . I will surely buy the wr version next year, my online retailer in Germany has assured me I could send the lens back in case of decentering .

CruisinonRt66
CruisinonRt66 Forum Member • Posts: 88

Hello Stevie great review and input as always! Thank you taking the time for so much detail.

Tell me, how does it feel holding and using the G100 with this lens on it in comparison to the FZ300 and is that combo lighter?  I think the FZ just feels great!

Thank you and have a great day!

CruisinonRt66's gear list:CruisinonRt66's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 Panasonic G95 +8 more
spike29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,469

YES! I bought it secondhand before i had a m43 camera to mount it on.

That was the kit g80 plus L12-60mm f3.5-5.6. Almost never used that one.

In the moments 14mm was to narrow i just "panorama-ed" the scene.

It does most of your idea's without any grumble nor hesitation. Reasonable sharp from top to tow. Tested fz200 24-1200mm (izoom is cropped rawfile) against cropping and until you hit 580mm(efl) isch the m43 and 140mm (280 efl) was better or equal.(12Mp vs 16Mp)

But i started to find it's "slownes" in certain moments a endorsment to buy a new lens.

Sold the lumix 12-60mm and bought the PL12-60. The musea/ dusk and early morning lens. Problem solved. 😁

Then bird, little animals where just too far away so, i tryed a c180 converter...

Fun to use but horrible IQ. A 45-200mm , wel 60mm extra isn't that much when the target far away and the lumix 45-200mm is not holding it's pants up in the 45-140mm against the 14-140mm. So returned that one and bought a 100-300mmii.

Fast enough and at f7 f8 f9 on the long end still good enough. But a dragonfly was better to capture with the 14-140mm. Closer AF range so much larger dragonfly on the sensor.

And as for fun due it's lightness you can use extendertubes of meike without a risk to have a bending moment. Really fun as cheap macrolens.

Conclusion, evendoh i build a set around it, i can't get me to sell it. It's the centre of my lens collection.

Latest suffer of GAS i purchaged a secondhand PL35-100mm f2.8 ii.

The reasonable devil on the right is wisphering why? The focal length is covered by the 14-140mm and the pl12-60mm f2.8-4 you have a pl15mmf1.7 to play in the dark.your backbag is full! And you claimed to have all lenses always with you now you can't...

(he has the voicesound which sounds familiar, like my wife....πŸ˜‹πŸ€£)

The GAS devil screams: " you need a faster zoom lens, this is the fastest one, weather and freeze proof! Internal zoom perfect for snow and rain..., think of indoorsports, party's, it's sharp! Did i said it is a very sharp and good IQ lens?"

πŸ˜£πŸ€πŸ™„πŸ˜

Dammn, i just place it in the personalstuff section of the backpack....

Now i am done, really no need to have more...

Or... That oly 12-200mm...... Noooowwhhh! Slow lens, bad lens! Lazy middle of the road lens... Don't.

Would i sell my 14-140mm mk1 (non weather resistant f3.5-5.6) any moment ?

Hmm, maybe if Panny builds a PL12-140mm or PL12-120mm f2.8-f4/f5.6 around the size of the PL12-60mm. Then i turn in my pl12-60mm and 14-140mm.

Until then it's just to light, small, good and versatile to ignore. 😁😎

-- hide signature --

knowledge is addictive, every time i get some i want more.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When i see a animal or insect i aim, shoot ...several times... take it home process it and hang it on the wall..... so he or she can live on freely where it belong wile i enjoy his presentation of live.

spike29's gear list:spike29's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Pannylumixfan Regular Member • Posts: 116

Hi,

Yes, I agree with your views on the excellent Panasonic 14-140 lens. It is one very versatile lens and is rarely off my G9.

However, I'd just like to correct you (I think I'm right but would be happy to be put right) on your comment about cropping. You mentioned that a 10MP crop from a 20MP sensor would give the appearance of effectively doubling the focal length of the the lens. However cropping to double the effective focal length would result in a 5MP crop, ie 20/(2x2).

Best wishes, Brian

rick in vegas wrote:

I have it and really like it. For extra reach I use 2x zoom with little loss of quality. 4x is not to great.

Thanks for input, Rick.

Pleased to see you’re getting on well with your copy of the lens, although any level of digital zoom is certainly not for me. As long as you’re happy with it, though, that’s fine.

Cheers and all the best...

CruisinonRt66 wrote:

Hello Stevie great review and input as always! Thank you taking the time for so much detail.

Tell me, how does it feel holding and using the G100 with this lens on it in comparison to the FZ300 and is that combo lighter? I think the FZ just feels great!

Thank you and have a great day!

Hi Cruisin'

Thanks for the compliments and appreciation. I appreciate the feedback.

Re the comparison between cameras/lenses:

With the 14 – 140 attached, the G100 remains slightly lighter and overall smaller than the FZ300.

Ergonomically and from purely a handling perspective, I prefer the FZ, but appreciate the lighter weight and overall higher resolution output from the G100. For its size, the G100 is surprisingly good to handle but it’s more compact and therefore doesn’t have the feel of the FZ.

One has to go into the G100 menu to change some settings that can be done from the outside of the FZ, making the G a little less convenient to shoot with. But if we don’t need to keep fiddling with the likes of chosen AF mode or other menu-located changes, the G100 is very pleasant to use.

For what I bought it for, the G100 makes the ideal camera. But it’s not splash and dust sealed like the FZ, which is why I’ve just ordered another G-series camera that is so that I have more options for shooting with the M4/3rd format.

For what it is, the FZ300 is a great camera for the price. My views on that will never change and I'll continue to use the model in between my larger sensor options.

Hope this helps,

Hi Spike

Some interesting feedback you’ve shared there.

Thank for taking the time to post.

Cheers

spike29 wrote:

YES! I bought it secondhand before i had a m43 camera to mount it on.

That was the kit g80 plus L12-60mm f3.5-5.6. Almost never used that one.

In the moments 14mm was to narrow i just "panorama-ed" the scene.

It does most of your idea's without any grumble nor hesitation. Reasonable sharp from top to tow. Tested fz200 24-1200mm (izoom is cropped rawfile) against cropping and until you hit 580mm(efl) isch the m43 and 140mm (280 efl) was better or equal.(12Mp vs 16Mp)

But i started to find it's "slownes" in certain moments a endorsment to buy a new lens.

Sold the lumix 12-60mm and bought the PL12-60. The musea/ dusk and early morning lens. Problem solved. 😁

Then bird, little animals where just too far away so, i tryed a c180 converter...

Fun to use but horrible IQ. A 45-200mm , wel 60mm extra isn't that much when the target far away and the lumix 45-200mm is not holding it's pants up in the 45-140mm against the 14-140mm. So returned that one and bought a 100-300mmii.

Fast enough and at f7 f8 f9 on the long end still good enough. But a dragonfly was better to capture with the 14-140mm. Closer AF range so much larger dragonfly on the sensor.

And as for fun due it's lightness you can use extendertubes of meike without a risk to have a bending moment. Really fun as cheap macrolens.

Conclusion, evendoh i build a set around it, i can't get me to sell it. It's the centre of my lens collection.

Latest suffer of GAS i purchaged a secondhand PL35-100mm f2.8 ii.

The reasonable devil on the right is wisphering why? The focal length is covered by the 14-140mm and the pl12-60mm f2.8-4 you have a pl15mmf1.7 to play in the dark.your backbag is full! And you claimed to have all lenses always with you now you can't...

(he has the voicesound which sounds familiar, like my wife....πŸ˜‹πŸ€£)

The GAS devil screams: " you need a faster zoom lens, this is the fastest one, weather and freeze proof! Internal zoom perfect for snow and rain..., think of indoorsports, party's, it's sharp! Did i said it is a very sharp and good IQ lens?"

πŸ˜£πŸ€πŸ™„πŸ˜

Dammn, i just place it in the personalstuff section of the backpack....

Now i am done, really no need to have more...

Or... That oly 12-200mm...... Noooowwhhh! Slow lens, bad lens! Lazy middle of the road lens... Don't.

Would i sell my 14-140mm mk1 (non weather resistant f3.5-5.6) any moment ?

Hmm, maybe if Panny builds a PL12-140mm or PL12-120mm f2.8-f4/f5.6 around the size of the PL12-60mm. Then i turn in my pl12-60mm and 14-140mm.

Until then it's just to light, small, good and versatile to ignore. 😁😎

Pannylumixfan wrote:

Hi,

Yes, I agree with your views on the excellent Panasonic 14-140 lens. It is one very versatile lens and is rarely off my G9.

However, I'd just like to correct you (I think I'm right but would be happy to be put right) on your comment about cropping. You mentioned that a 10MP crop from a 20MP sensor would give the appearance of effectively doubling the focal length of the the lens. However cropping to double the effective focal length would result in a 5MP crop, ie 20/(2x2).

Best wishes, Brian

Hi there, Brian.

Good to note that you enjoy this lens as an accompaniment for your G9.

Thanks also for the correction in terms of focal length extension that I estimated was available with a 10mp crop. Clearly I’d got my knickers in a twist in this respect and I appreciate your more accurate assessment of the situation.

Cheers and happy shooting to ya...

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,594

Interesting comment.

G100 uses dual dials operation (1 dial + 1 wheel), plus the Dial Operation Switch they can control 2 extra options (i.e. 3 major parameters + 1 other option), 4 physical fn keys and 5 soft fn keys, plus a Q.Menu which we can assign 15 controls to it.

It also has 3 C modes and under each, we can set up an independent set of Q.Menu & fn keys such that we can have total 4 sets of them...

If you put on an OMDS lens which has a fn key, you can have 1 more control assigned to it.

Still not enough? Not to mention the My Menu that you can put all most used Menu Option there in case those 4 dial/wheel controls & 24 fn/Q.Menu cannot cover all of your need ... πŸ˜€

It is actually not much weaker than GX85 or G85 in terms of customization. At least My Menu is not there on these older but higher spec models.

TBH I still have some vacant slots on my GX85 & G85 because I don't need them all.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download my image and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
CruisinonRt66
CruisinonRt66 Forum Member • Posts: 88

Hi Stevie,

thank you for the helpful feedback.

Take care, stay safe  and happy photo shooting ! Greetings.

CruisinonRt66's gear list:CruisinonRt66's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 Panasonic G95 +8 more
Pannylumixfan Regular Member • Posts: 116

Hi,

You're welcome.

I forget to mention that I found your post very interesting and the photos nicely illustrate the versatility of our favourite M4/3 lens.

Long may you continue to enjoy using it.

KungFuRamone
KungFuRamone Junior Member • Posts: 28

Having only just recently got my mitts on a mki verson, I've yet to really put it through it's paces, but I've been impressed with it so far. Kicking myself for not getting a copy sooner!

-- hide signature --

// Dave
// dave-harrison-ward.picfair.com

KungFuRamone's gear list:KungFuRamone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic G90 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more

Pannylumixfan wrote:

Hi,

You're welcome.

I forget to mention that I found your post very interesting and the photos nicely illustrate the versatility of our favourite M4/3 lens.

Long may you continue to enjoy using it.

Thank you. Good of you to let me know that you found my post interesting.

Cheers and happy shooting to ya...

KungFuRamone wrote:

Having only just recently got my mitts on a mki verson, I've yet to really put it through it's paces, but I've been impressed with it so far. Kicking myself for not getting a copy sooner!

Thanks for the post, Ramone.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy the Mk1 version of this lens, as optically it is supposed to match the Mk2, minus the splash and dust resistance of the later model.

Have fun,

Cheers....

Thanks Albert, good of you to post.

Cheers...

CruisinonRt66 wrote:

Hi Stevie,

thank you for the helpful feedback.

Take care, stay safe and happy photo shooting ! Greetings.

You're welcome.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads