A7C and 50GM as an everyday carry?

Started Nov 24, 2021 | Discussions
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 9,916
Re: A7C and 50GM as an everyday carry?

jhunna wrote:

EarthQuake wrote:

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

My current everyday carry (EDC) is the A7C, Sony 20/2.8 apsc, and a HVL-f28RM flash. Not the best quality, but certainly fast enough and good enough for street shooting and candids for instant printing.

But now I have a problem, I got the GM, and that is literally the ONLY lens with which I want to shoot. It is heavier, and I actually care more about damaging it. If you are using this set up (or even the 35GM as an EDC) how are you protecting your gear? Do people notice you more with the larger lens? Is your angst up when using this lens vs being carefree in a way you would when you are shooting with lesser equipment?

Thoughts?

An APS-C 20mm and 50/1.2 create a pretty odd setup. For not much more money you could buy:

• 20/1.8
  • 35/1.8
  • 55/1.8
  • 85/1.8

And have an awesome kit that covers every use case outside of extreme wide angle (interiors, cityscapes) and wildlife/nature.

As to protection, I have a small messenger bag with a couple of padded dividers.

Unless you're carrying around a 70-200/2.8, I don't you'll be any more noticeable than you are with any DSLR/mirrorless and a typical lens.

I have the 20/1.8, 50/1.8 and the 85/1.8. I am trying to reduce my lens to the bare minimum. One 50/1.2 GM will get me most of the looks I want. I will probably keep my 20/1.8 G and add 135/1.8GM. I have the apsc 16-55/2.8 and the 70-350apsc for my zooms.

I want a light but high IQ kit, the 50 and 135 GMs don't fit that qualification, but I won't wonder if I can get better image quality.
I like the idea of adding a padded divider pocket to my messenger bag so that i can keep my current mesenger bag.

Tenba's BYOB & Peak's Camera Cubes are both useful options in that vein, tho there's cheaper alternatives like ApeCase's Cubeze line (I've owned/gifted/liked all 3, there's many more like F-stop's ICUs, etc.). They might be overkill for a small body + a single lens tho, depending on the bag and what else ya got in there, that's why I pointed to the Domke & Tenba wraps in an earlier comment.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +31 more
gobucks83 Regular Member • Posts: 188

ilumo wrote:

I have a7c as my daily driver and the 50gm isn’t that bad in terms of size. That said I’m used to larger lens. Even the 135gm wasn’t too bad when I was shooting with it a few weeks back. I don’t like using straps as I feel like they get in the way, and a hood for me is not useful and just makes the overall package bigger and more prone to bump into things. I just slap a filter in front of the lens to protect and and then I’m usually pretty care to not bang it around when using it. When I need to set it down, it will go back into my shoulder bag or it will go on a soft surface that won’t scratch the lens

Man, people's size/weight tolerances sure do vary a lot.  To me that looks like it'd be pretty uncomfortable to carry for any extended period of time, not just because of the size and weight, but also the reduced grip height and depth of the A7c.  I find my Sigma 105 macro (which is slightly longer but lighter) to be a total drag to carry around, even with my A7RIV with mieke grip extender.  Oh well, different strokes and all that...

gobucks83's gear list:gobucks83's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM +1 more
ilumo Regular Member • Posts: 370

Agreed. If I have to hold the grip for long then I prefer something with a deeper grip like the a7riv and later cameras. That said I usually just scoop up the camera under the lens and it’s fine.

maybe I have smaller hands but I can hold the bigger lens this way without much fatiguing. Here’s a couple of samples with some bigger “normal” lenses (not the big whites).

Insert caption here. If you do not edit this text it will be automatically removed.

ilumo's gear list:ilumo's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a7C Sony a1 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +15 more
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,336

gobucks83 wrote:

ilumo wrote:

I have a7c as my daily driver and the 50gm isn’t that bad in terms of size. That said I’m used to larger lens. Even the 135gm wasn’t too bad when I was shooting with it a few weeks back. I don’t like using straps as I feel like they get in the way, and a hood for me is not useful and just makes the overall package bigger and more prone to bump into things. I just slap a filter in front of the lens to protect and and then I’m usually pretty care to not bang it around when using it. When I need to set it down, it will go back into my shoulder bag or it will go on a soft surface that won’t scratch the lens

Man, people's size/weight tolerances sure do vary a lot. To me that looks like it'd be pretty uncomfortable to carry for any extended period of time, not just because of the size and weight, but also the reduced grip height and depth of the A7c. I find my Sigma 105 macro (which is slightly longer but lighter) to be a total drag to carry around, even with my A7RIV with mieke grip extender. Oh well, different strokes and all that...

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned the Sigma 105 macro, which I'm thinking of getting for the A7Riv I currently own, care to elaborate on the handling-egonomics, AF, and performance of that combination? Thanks.

Dan_168 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,957

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

My current everyday carry (EDC) is the A7C, Sony 20/2.8 apsc, and a HVL-f28RM flash. Not the best quality, but certainly fast enough and good enough for street shooting and candids for instant printing.

But now I have a problem, I got the GM, and that is literally the ONLY lens with which I want to shoot. It is heavier, and I actually care more about damaging it. If you are using this set up (or even the 35GM as an EDC) how are you protecting your gear? Do people notice you more with the larger lens? Is your angst up when using this lens vs being carefree in a way you would when you are shooting with lesser equipment?

Thoughts?

I do not have a 7C or the 50GM but I carry much bigger set up when travel and " walking around", because my travel camera is my regular camera gears, I do not have a separate set of small gears for travel, i bring my 1D, D850+ grip, A7R IV...... whatever I feel like bringing, i normally do it in two way:

1. Black Rapid strap shoulder strap, or something similar, i have 3 or 4 of those from different company but similar style straps. so the camera is dangling on heap level on the side of my body and the strap is across my chest on the opposite side of the camera on my shoulder, and when I need to shoot I just grab it and raise and shot., when I am not shooting just walking, the camera is right next to my right hand so I can easily grap it and protect it from bumping into people or door or things like that when in crowded places. this works really good when I have a bigger camera like my D850, or 1D/D3 style pro bodies. and I Can walk all day long with those and still doesn't feel a thing on my shoulder and back at the end of the day, a good carry system makes all the difference, with a neck strap even a A6000 is painful for example.

2. If I carry a small camera like my 7R II/7 R IV, I don't even bother to use any kind of strap, I normally use the thing Called Peak Design Camera Clip ( by a company Peak Design), that's simply a clip that allow me to attract my camera to the should strap of any backpack, this works really good on walk around in the city and hiking in national Park and mountain, now both of my hands is free and nothing dangling and bouncing around. This carrying system works really good for small camera like Sony Mirrorless cameras.

I also belong to the " No Filter" camp so I hardly put filter on any lens for protection purpose, unless I know I will be shooting on snowy and rainy environment. but I use lens hood all the time.

ZilverHaylide wrote:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned the Sigma 105 macro, which I'm thinking of getting for the A7Riv I currently own, care to elaborate on the handling-egonomics, AF, and performance of that combination? Thanks.

Sure.  Like I said, I find it kind of unwieldy to use handheld for extended periods of time - it's just really long and front heavy, so it really makes my wrist hurt the next day.  I bought a Mieke grip extender, and that did help somewhat, although it's still not super comfortable.  I think it's pretty typical for a macro lens though - the Sony is almost the exact same size, albeit about 100g lighter.  The AF is also kind disappointing.  It does fine in good lighting, not the fastest or quietest but it works well enough.  In low or even moderate light though, it really struggles, often blowing right past your subject and going through the whole focus range (be sure to use the focus limiter).  Obviously for macro stuff, MF is often easier anyway.

That being said, I am still glad I bought the lens.  It's the sharpest lens I own, and the almost complete lack of fringing gives the images a great pop and really nice rendering.  Build quality is fantastic, as you'd expect from Sigma's art lineup.  And it's cheap.  If you need a macro (I needed one for a new kid), it's a good choice; I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you want it to do double duty as a portrait lens though.

Sony a7R IV Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM +1 more
The Sigma 105mm macro Art lens

gobucks83 wrote:

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Sure. Like I said, I find it kind of unwieldy to use handheld for extended periods of time - it's just really long and front heavy, so it really makes my wrist hurt the next day. I bought a Mieke grip extender, and that did help somewhat, although it's still not super comfortable. I think it's pretty typical for a macro lens though - the Sony is almost the exact same size, albeit about 100g lighter. The AF is also kind disappointing. It does fine in good lighting, not the fastest or quietest but it works well enough. In low or even moderate light though, it really struggles, often blowing right past your subject and going through the whole focus range (be sure to use the focus limiter). Obviously for macro stuff, MF is often easier anyway.

That being said, I am still glad I bought the lens. It's the sharpest lens I own, and the almost complete lack of fringing gives the images a great pop and really nice rendering. Build quality is fantastic, as you'd expect from Sigma's art lineup. And it's cheap. If you need a macro (I needed one for a new kid), it's a good choice; I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you want it to do double duty as a portrait lens though.

Thanks for that description.

My uses for the Sigma 105 macro Art lens wouldn't much be portraits, but more at the extremes of distance (1:1 to 1:2 macro range, plus also at landscape and architectural distances). And like you, I'd want it for its macro capability, high resolution, and minimal chromatic aberrations. Very reasonable price for all that is also a plus.

So that brings up these questions for the Sigma 105 macro Art:

1) At those farther, "infinity" and "almost-infinity" focus distances, how accurate is AF?

2) How easy is it to get accurate focus in MF? For instance, a lot of traditional helicoid-based vintage macro lenses aren't easy to precisely manual-focus towards infinity settings, there isn't as much angle-of-rotation for the focus ring at those distances as there is on a lens that doesn't also focus down to macro distances. With Sigma's focus implementation (by wire, and I presume variable depending on how fast I turn it, as most of their lenses designed for mirrorless supposedly are), I'm hoping that MF on this macro lens will allow good precision even at longer distances.

Thanks in advance.

Re: The Sigma 105mm macro Art lens

ZilverHaylide wrote:

1) At those farther, "infinity" and "almost-infinity" focus distances, how accurate is AF?

2) How easy is it to get accurate focus in MF? For instance, a lot of traditional helicoid-based vintage macro lenses aren't easy to precisely manual-focus towards infinity settings, there isn't as much angle-of-rotation for the focus ring at those distances as there is on a lens that doesn't also focus down to macro distances. With Sigma's focus implementation (by wire, and I presume variable depending on how fast I turn it, as most of their lenses designed for mirrorless supposedly are), I'm hoping that MF on this macro lens will allow good precision even at longer distances.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't really shot it focused to infinity.  I did take it out a couple of times to get some shots of people on the street, and during the daytime autofocus was reasonably quick and accurate.  For me it all comes down to light - the hit rate really nosedives and the hunting really skyrockets in even moderately poor light.

I don't have much experience with manual focus lenses, so I can't compare, but I liked the MF implementation fine.  Not sure if it's totally linear, but it has a pretty long throw and good damping, so I felt like I could make pretty accurate adjustments.  People really seem to like the clutch implementation on the Sony 90G, if you're looking for more of a manual focus feel (or obviously there is the actual manual focus voightlander 110mm APO macro).

LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 3,899

My solution is a bit different

While I shoot the A9ii and my primes are the 35 gm, 90 macro and 20 mm 1.8 sony with some other zooms.  My street everyday carry for not that much more of the 50 mm GM and A7c is a Leica Q2.  I mean in my mind if I am ready to spend $4000 ish can I save another $1500 ball park to get a larger sensor (megapixel) Even with the 50 mm crop on the Q2 is 15 MP, all you really need for a photo quality 8x10 is like 3 MP.

Yeah its a 10 MP difference or so but just an idea.

Oh and if you shoot 35 mm it is 30 mp so you have that crop option that may look great.

Just my thing is all...

That is the thing with FF the camera can be small but no way getting around the physics of the lens short of a smaller sensor

OP jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 2,655

LenRivers wrote:

My solution is a bit different

While I shoot the A9ii and my primes are the 35 gm, 90 macro and 20 mm 1.8 sony with some other zooms. My street everyday carry for not that much more of the 50 mm GM and A7c is a Leica Q2. I mean in my mind if I am ready to spend $4000 ish can I save another $1500 ball park to get a larger sensor (megapixel) Even with the 50 mm crop on the Q2 is 15 MP, all you really need for a photo quality 8x10 is like 3 MP.

Yeah its a 10 MP difference or so but just an idea.

Oh and if you shoot 35 mm it is 30 mp so you have that crop option that may look great.

Just my thing is all...

That is the thing with FF the camera can be small but no way getting around the physics of the lens short of a smaller sensor

My situation requires just one body, and several lenses so that I can be the most efficient at shooting.  I have considered the Leica Q/Q2/X100V but none of them give me the output of the 50GM.  If I want a smaller config, I would just swap out the lens for an M mount 35 or 50.
The 50 GM won't stay my everyday carry as it is a bit heavy, and hard to keep it from hitting things, but I need to shoot it a lot for the first month to make sure I am good with shooting with it.

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Sony a7C Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +7 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 9,916

gobucks83 wrote:

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I haven't really shot it focused to infinity. I did take it out a couple of times to get some shots of people on the street, and during the daytime autofocus was reasonably quick and accurate. For me it all comes down to light - the hit rate really nosedives and the hunting really skyrockets in even moderately poor light.

I don't have much experience with manual focus lenses, so I can't compare, but I liked the MF implementation fine. Not sure if it's totally linear, but it has a pretty long throw and good damping, so I felt like I could make pretty accurate adjustments. People really seem to like the clutch implementation on the Sony 90G, if you're looking for more of a manual focus feel (or obviously there is the actual manual focus voightlander 110mm APO macro).

I was debating all three of those and ultimately ended up with the Laowa 100/2.8 (for macro more than anything but possibly with some landscape use in the long run), from what I've read the Voigtlander might have the nicest feel for MF tho, followed by the Sony's clutch. I think one of the reviews (PhillipReeve possibly) actually complained that the 110's throw could be too long if you were going from MFD to infinity, requiring multiple full turns. I'll take that over a really short throw (Laowa) or non linear focus by wire tho.

They all seem like really good options tho! Macros are usually optically solid but even by macro standards they all look pretty great.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +31 more
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 3,899

Ah I see, sounds great! all the best with it working out !

Thanks everyone for the advice on longer macros. I think I'll post my own separate question inviting feedback on the subject, so as to not further distract from the 50mm f/1.2 GM that was the subject of the OP's post.

bpalme
bpalme Senior Member • Posts: 1,110

I've been using same on Peak design clip on my belt. Feels just fine and even with the 135 it's ok for me. Bigger grip would be ideal but sometimes I roll smaller so a compromise.

bpalme's gear list:bpalme's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a7C
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads