A7C and 50GM as an everyday carry?

Started Nov 24, 2021 | Discussions
jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 2,483
A7C and 50GM as an everyday carry?

Soooo.....

My current everyday carry (EDC) is the A7C, Sony 20/2.8 apsc, and a HVL-f28RM flash.  Not the best quality, but certainly fast enough and good enough for street shooting and candids for instant printing.

But now I have a problem, I got the GM, and that is literally the ONLY lens with which I want to shoot. It is heavier, and I actually care more about damaging it.  If you are using this set up (or even the 35GM as an EDC) how are you protecting your gear?  Do people notice you more with the larger lens? Is your angst up when using this lens vs being carefree in a way you would when you are shooting with lesser equipment?

Thoughts?

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +8 more
richj20 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,019
Re: A7C and 50GM as an everyday carry?

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

My current everyday carry (EDC) is the A7C, Sony 20/2.8 apsc, and a HVL-f28RM flash. Not the best quality, but certainly fast enough and good enough for street shooting and candids for instant printing.

But now I have a problem, I got the GM, and that is literally the ONLY lens with which I want to shoot. It is heavier, and I actually care more about damaging it.

If you are using this set up (or even the 35GM as an EDC) how are you protecting your gear?

I protect all of my equipment equally.

I don't have those lenses, but no matter, I would take the same care as I do with current lenses.

For one thing, I carry an unobtrusive shoulder bag for carrying the camera/lens rather than letting it dangle on a neck strap. (I use a wrist strap)

Also, I use a B+W 007 Clear MRC nano XS-PRO Filter.

Do people notice you more with the larger lens? Is your angst up when using this lens vs being carefree in a way you would when you are shooting with lesser equipment?

I've always preferred smaller lenses so as to not draw attention; I do not consider them "lesser" (personal opinion, of course.)

-- hide signature --

Richard

richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
OP jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 2,483

richj20 wrote:

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

My current everyday carry (EDC) is the A7C, Sony 20/2.8 apsc, and a HVL-f28RM flash. Not the best quality, but certainly fast enough and good enough for street shooting and candids for instant printing.

But now I have a problem, I got the GM, and that is literally the ONLY lens with which I want to shoot. It is heavier, and I actually care more about damaging it.

If you are using this set up (or even the 35GM as an EDC) how are you protecting your gear?

I should but do not as wrapping a camera in a lint free cloth gets me access to shooting faster, where as keeping my more expensive lenses in a dedicated case/pouch is worth the trouble.

I don't have those lenses, but no matter, I would take the same care as I do with current lenses.

For one thing, I carry an unobtrusive shoulder bag for carrying the camera/lens rather than letting it dangle on a neck strap. (I use a wrist strap)

What bag are you using?  I don't use a neck strap either I favor a wrist strap also.  I am currently using a RedOxx Chica bag, with my components wrapped/protected separately.

Good idea!  I don't use/need the lens hood.

Do people notice you more with the larger lens? Is your angst up when using this lens vs being carefree in a way you would when you are shooting with lesser equipment?

I've always preferred smaller lenses so as to not draw attention; I do not consider them "lesser" (personal opinion, of course.)

I should have been sensitive to my language.  My use of "lesser" equipment was only to note that I consider this current setup my most valuable one.  No offense intended.

Thank you for this, I have also always preferred smaller lenses but I am not getting the image quality/performance out of the smaller lenses.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +8 more
richj20 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,019

jhunna wrote:

richj20 wrote:

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

I should but do not as wrapping a camera in a lint free cloth gets me access to shooting faster, where as keeping my more expensive lenses in a dedicated case/pouch is worth the trouble.

What bag are you using? I don't use a neck strap either I favor a wrist strap also. I am currently using a RedOxx Chica bag, with my components wrapped/protected separately.

Since you mentioned street shooting, I was referring to the shoulder bags I carry in those cases: usually camera + one lens.

I've always preferred non-photo bags when on the street, and I have several of different sizes depending on which camera/lens I'm carrying. Brands are Eagle Creek and Scully

Good idea! I don't use/need the lens hood.

I should have been sensitive to my language. My use of "lesser" equipment was only to note that I consider this current setup my most valuable one. No offense intended.

No worry, none taken. We all have our likes and dislikes. As a wise person once said, "Everything in life is a point of view."

Thank you for this, I have also always preferred smaller lenses but I am not getting the image quality/performance out of the smaller lenses.

Understood. (choices are what keeps manufacturers happy!)

-- hide signature --

Richard

richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,336

richj20 wrote:

jhunna wrote:

richj20 wrote:

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

What bag are you using? I don't use a neck strap either I favor a wrist strap also. I am currently using a RedOxx Chica bag, with my components wrapped/protected separately.

Since you mentioned street shooting, I was referring to the shoulder bags I carry in those cases: usually camera + one lens.

I've always preferred non-photo bags when on the street, and I have several of different sizes depending on which camera/lens I'm carrying. Brands are Eagle Creek and Scully

Good idea! I don't use/need the lens hood.

I should have been sensitive to my language. My use of "lesser" equipment was only to note that I consider this current setup my most valuable one. No offense intended.

No worry, none taken. We all have our likes and dislikes. As a wise person once said, "Everything in life is a point of view."

Understood. (choices are what keeps manufacturers happy!)

I think there is medicine available for the OP's problem!

SillyPosition Regular Member • Posts: 225

Hey 😃

I’m split about having a filter on, especially on a gm lens

I usually go with the camera on with a strap on my shoulder. I usually do carry it with the hood, when folded in my bag it’s pointing inside, so it’s not too annoying but when in a situation where I use the camera I will put the hood pointing outside, only for the sake of protection and absorbing minor hits or contact with things like when walking around and not paying attention, or when putting on a table etc

but I don’t like to use the hood too much. Not really needing it, and usage is a little cumbersome with it. Especially the manual focus ring.

SillyPosition's gear list:SillyPosition's gear list
Sony a7C Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 DG DN
gobucks83 Regular Member • Posts: 188

I also use B+W filters on my 35GM, although I usually go for the UV (010M) because they are cheaper than the clear (007M) version and seem to perform similarly.  I would recommend buying them from an actual camera store like adorama or B&H though.  I've bought some off of amazon and the finish and lettering is slightly different on one of them, I think there are some fakes floating around.

50GM is definitely getting into the territory where you're more likely to get noticed for street photography.  I tend to find that if I'm shooting candids with a large lens, it helps for it to be longer focal length, so that I can put some distance between me and the subject.  I feel like the 50GM, despite being a fantastic lens, does have the problem of being both quite large, and also somewhat wide, requiring you to get relatively close to people.  It's maybe not the optimal tool for EDC, but hey, if the 50GM makes you want to get out there and shoot more, that's great.

gobucks83's gear list:gobucks83's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM +1 more
newdom Contributing Member • Posts: 506

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

But now I have a problem, I got the GM, and that is literally the ONLY lens with which I want to shoot. It is heavier, and I actually care more about damaging it. If you are using this set up (or even the 35GM as an EDC) how are you protecting your gear? Do people notice you more with the larger lens? Is your angst up when using this lens vs being carefree in a way you would when you are shooting with lesser equipment?

Thoughts?

Yeah for a very expensive lens like the GM, which is also an investment, I would definitely be protecting it.  For me that would be a significant purchase - for other seasoned professionals they might just throw it in a bag and not worry about it

A good (genuine) UV filter like one of the newer Hoyas or Urth/Gobe shouldn't have any effect on the picture IQ and will protect the front glass.  Also you can blow/wipe the front glass then without worrying about scratching it - if you do you just buy a new filter rather than a £2k lens.  The good filters also have very good coatings like the good lenses, and you don't have to worry about potentially wearing these off.

If you're ultra careful/paranoid like me, have a look at the skins.  They have always given me a lot more confidence to throw a lens in a bag, and also to just set the camera/lens down on something without worrying about scratching the body.  Plus personally I think they look nice too - others think different opinions! This is my A7Rii with a Tamron 28-200, probably the bottom end of what kind of lens I would bother protecting.  The skins are high quality 3M material and come off without leaving any residue.  I do the camera body as well

newdom's gear list:newdom's gear list
Sony a7 III Samyang AF 50mm F1.4 FE Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Sony FE 50mm F2.5 G

newdom wrote:

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

But now I have a problem, I got the GM, and that is literally the ONLY lens with which I want to shoot. It is heavier, and I actually care more about damaging it. If you are using this set up (or even the 35GM as an EDC) how are you protecting your gear? Do people notice you more with the larger lens? Is your angst up when using this lens vs being carefree in a way you would when you are shooting with lesser equipment?

Thoughts?

Yeah for a very expensive lens like the GM, which is also an investment, I would definitely be protecting it. For me that would be a significant purchase - for other seasoned professionals they might just throw it in a bag and not worry about it

A good (genuine) UV filter like one of the newer Hoyas or Urth/Gobe shouldn't have any effect on the picture IQ and will protect the front glass. Also you can blow/wipe the front glass then without worrying about scratching it - if you do you just buy a new filter rather than a £2k lens. The good filters also have very good coatings like the good lenses, and you don't have to worry about potentially wearing these off.

If you're ultra careful/paranoid like me, have a look at the skins. They have always given me a lot more confidence to throw a lens in a bag, and also to just set the camera/lens down on something without worrying about scratching the body. Plus personally I think they look nice too - others think different opinions! This is my A7Rii with a Tamron 28-200, probably the bottom end of what kind of lens I would bother protecting. The skins are high quality 3M material and come off without leaving any residue. I do the camera body as well

The skins are a GREAT idea...  where do you get them?

newdom Contributing Member • Posts: 506

jhunna wrote:

newdom wrote:

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

Thoughts?

Yeah for a very expensive lens like the GM, which is also an investment, I would definitely be protecting it. For me that would be a significant purchase - for other seasoned professionals they might just throw it in a bag and not worry about it

A good (genuine) UV filter like one of the newer Hoyas or Urth/Gobe shouldn't have any effect on the picture IQ and will protect the front glass. Also you can blow/wipe the front glass then without worrying about scratching it - if you do you just buy a new filter rather than a £2k lens. The good filters also have very good coatings like the good lenses, and you don't have to worry about potentially wearing these off.

If you're ultra careful/paranoid like me, have a look at the skins. They have always given me a lot more confidence to throw a lens in a bag, and also to just set the camera/lens down on something without worrying about scratching the body. Plus personally I think they look nice too - others think different opinions! This is my A7Rii with a Tamron 28-200, probably the bottom end of what kind of lens I would bother protecting. The skins are high quality 3M material and come off without leaving any residue. I do the camera body as well

The skins are a GREAT idea... where do you get them?

The most popular ones are alphagvrd. These are the 50GM pages for the taiwan/US site:

https://www.lifeguard-design.com/products/lifeguard-sonyfe50f12gm

https://alphagvrd.com/collections/sony/products/sony-fe-50mm-f1-2-gm-lens-skin

You can also look on ebay/aliexpress - I got my sony and tamron skins from ebay/aliexpress and they are apparently just as good quality as the alphagvrd ones, for quite a bit cheaper (although they generally take longer to get to you). If you've spent £2k on a lens probably worth spending an extra $10 on a 'branded' skin Ah alphgvrd has a 20% black friday discount currently!

ps - the colour/variant on both my camera and lens is 'Shadow Black', just for reference to their website mockups.

Here's a good FM post on them:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1677942

newdom's gear list:newdom's gear list
Sony a7 III Samyang AF 50mm F1.4 FE Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Sony FE 50mm F2.5 G
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 9,893

If I'm going for some casual shooting and I'm only bringing the one lens I might just use my sling strap, and no bag at all, but I'll use a wrist strap instead if I'll be pulling the camera from and putting it back in a bag often... So I like switching between both options w/PD's Anchor system.

With a lens the size of my 35GM or anything larger I tend to use bags with dividers but when I use smaller lenses I cram them in pretty tight bags and I'll use Domke wraps to protect some stuff and/or keep it from banging together. They're thinner than the Tenba wraps (so less bump protection but also slightly less bulk) and somewhat ironically the single diagonal Velcro strap in the corners hangs on better than the custom triangle on Tenba's.

I tend to keep a clear B+W XS-Pro filter on most of my weather sealed and/or pricey lenses, since I'm more likely up use those in adverse conditions or end up lamenting any front element scratches (tho the slightest ones are really no big deal). I think my 24G is the one exception, it's front element is so small I figured a filter just presented a larger target.

Hoods are kinda situational for me but a lot of Sony wides/primes have really excellent flare resistance lately. I actually don't mind the 35GM's hood since it doesn't extend as far as petal hoods, but I just noticed this and might give it a try:

https://www.amazon.com/Haoge-Square-Bayonet-Replaces-ALC-SH164/dp/B093BNJSW7

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +29 more
Trym Regular Member • Posts: 149

I use the A7C as my daily carry and have landed on the Peak Design 3l Sling. The bag fits the A7C with up to the Sony Zeiss 50mm f1.4 planar mounted and an additional medium sized lens.

This setup is very minimal and when carrying it around it looks like any other small bag and really don't scream pro photo. It is a snug fit but works fine.

I don't have the 50mm GM but I have the 50mm planar, I believe they are more or less identical in size. For my A7Riii the 3l sling is to small and I have the old 5L bag for that one.

The main reason for getting the A7C for me was the get a less pro looking camera. When paired with the smaller f1.8 lenses it looks like any other consumer camera vs the A7R + a f2.8GM zoom that looks very pro (something I want to avoid when out with the family etc.).

The lenses I find works best with the A7C considering quality and size are the 24GM, 35GM, 55 f1.8 and 85 f1,8 and zooms 17-28mm and 28-75/28-200mm. They all fit as a two lens kit in the Peak Design 3L bag.

PD 3L + A7C & 50mm f1.4 + 35mm GM

PD 3L + A7C & 35mm GM + 28-200mm

Trym's gear list:Trym's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7C Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +10 more

Trym wrote:

I use the A7C as my daily carry and have landed on the Peak Design 3l Sling. The bag fits the A7C with up to the Sony Zeiss 50mm f1.4 planar mounted and an additional medium sized lens.

This setup is very minimal and when carrying it around it looks like any other small bag and really don't scream pro photo. It is a snug fit but works fine.

I don't have the 50mm GM but I have the 50mm planar, I believe they are more or less identical in size. For my A7Riii the 3l sling is to small and I have the old 5L bag for that one.

The main reason for getting the A7C for me was the get a less pro looking camera. When paired with the smaller f1.8 lenses it looks like any other consumer camera vs the A7R + a f2.8GM zoom that looks very pro (something I want to avoid when out with the family etc.).

The lenses I find works best with the A7C considering quality and size are the 24GM, 35GM, 55 f1.8 and 85 f1,8 and zooms 17-28mm and 28-75/28-200mm. They all fit as a two lens kit in the Peak Design 3L bag.

Nice!

I was just wondering if it will fit my sigma 28-70 and 35gm

it seems like both lenses are with their hood, inverted, right?

anything else fits there with this combo?

Is it possible to remove the strap of the bag itself?

Impulses wrote:

If I'm going for some casual shooting and I'm only bringing the one lens I might just use my sling strap, and no bag at all, but I'll use a wrist strap instead if I'll be pulling the camera from and putting it back in a bag often... So I like switching between both options w/PD's Anchor system.

With a lens the size of my 35GM or anything larger I tend to use bags with dividers but when I use smaller lenses I cram them in pretty tight bags and I'll use Domke wraps to protect some stuff and/or keep it from banging together. They're thinner than the Tenba wraps (so less bump protection but also slightly less bulk) and somewhat ironically the single diagonal Velcro strap in the corners hangs on better than the custom triangle on Tenba's.

I tend to keep a clear B+W XS-Pro filter on most of my weather sealed and/or pricey lenses, since I'm more likely up use those in adverse conditions or end up lamenting any front element scratches (tho the slightest ones are really no big deal). I think my 24G is the one exception, it's front element is so small I figured a filter just presented a larger target.

Hoods are kinda situational for me but a lot of Sony wides/primes have really excellent flare resistance lately. I actually don't mind the 35GM's hood since it doesn't extend as far as petal hoods, but I just noticed this and might give it a try:

What is the benefit of this hood?

I always have the hood installed, inverted when it’s a quick shoot and store back in the bag, just to allow putting the camera to rest on table or stuff without getting scratches or any marks from hitting table or other elements

when I carry the camera on me and I would like to not play with the cap every second I just put the hood facing outwards and leave it with no cap, so that it helps protecting the lens during that time

Malling Senior Member • Posts: 1,256
  1. jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

Thoughts?

If you carry a huge lens, yes they’ll notice you more. So another good reason to put that expensive thing inside something that doesn’t scream too much and protect it at the same time. I never will understand people having gear dangling around their neck unless they are photojournalist.

A backpack is certainly the most protective, also the item that potentially scream the least (unless you use a camera backpack, then it’s the opposite), it’s easy to put a small ICU or pouch or wrap inside.

Shoulder or string should be carried with care, these flap around easier, are easier stolen and if your a man, most know men only carry such things with valuables, so it is and will always be a potential magnet. Also it’s not that healthy to carry for extended period for your neck, bag and shoulders, as it can lead to injuries especially if carrying heavy equipment that way. But can be done with a camera with one lens and one small additional lens, but more you should really not carry that way unless you want to support your local health practitioner.

Trym Regular Member • Posts: 149

eeran wrote:

Trym wrote:

Nice!

I was just wondering if it will fit my sigma 28-70 and 35gm

it seems like both lenses are with their hood, inverted, right?

anything else fits there with this combo?

Is it possible to remove the strap of the bag itself?

Yes, both lenses are with the hood reversed. Might be that the 50mm GM has a slightly bigger diameter due to the rubber lip on the newer hoods vs the older planar.

A slim strap will fit and a battery but not much more with two medium lenses.

Someone mentioned that a backpack would be better. Depends, it adds bulk. I have several photo backpack but often just put the peak 3l into a regular backpack when I need to bring other stuff.

Trym's gear list:Trym's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7C Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +10 more
EarthQuake Veteran Member • Posts: 3,202

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

Thoughts?

An APS-C 20mm and 50/1.2 create a pretty odd setup. For not much more money you could buy:

• 20/1.8
  • 35/1.8
  • 55/1.8
  • 85/1.8

And have an awesome kit that covers every use case outside of extreme wide angle (interiors, cityscapes) and wildlife/nature.

As to protection, I have a small messenger bag with a couple of padded dividers.

Unless you're carrying around a 70-200/2.8, I don't you'll be any more noticeable than you are with any DSLR/mirrorless and a typical lens.

EarthQuake wrote:

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

Thoughts?

An APS-C 20mm and 50/1.2 create a pretty odd setup. For not much more money you could buy:

• 20/1.8
  • 35/1.8
  • 55/1.8
  • 85/1.8

And have an awesome kit that covers every use case outside of extreme wide angle (interiors, cityscapes) and wildlife/nature.

As to protection, I have a small messenger bag with a couple of padded dividers.

Unless you're carrying around a 70-200/2.8, I don't you'll be any more noticeable than you are with any DSLR/mirrorless and a typical lens.

I have the 20/1.8, 50/1.8 and the 85/1.8.  I am trying to reduce my lens to the bare minimum.  One 50/1.2  GM will get me most of the looks I want.  I will probably keep my 20/1.8 G and add 135/1.8GM.  I have the apsc 16-55/2.8 and the 70-350apsc for my zooms.

I want a light but high IQ kit, the 50 and 135 GMs don't fit that qualification, but I won't wonder if I can get better image quality.  
I like the idea of adding a padded divider pocket to my messenger bag so that i can keep my current mesenger bag.

Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 9,893

eeran wrote:

Impulses wrote:

What is the benefit of this hood?

Smaller profile with the same or better shading, I'd imagine, the downside is you need to take it off to change filters but it's a bayonet hood like the OEM so you can use filters w/it mounted. I like slip on caps as well, tho that's pretty darn subjective... I had some for my metal Oly M4/3 primes (and for a low profile Contact hood I use on one of them) and there's something oddly satisfying and seamless about them vs clip on caps.

I always have the hood installed, inverted when it’s a quick shoot and store back in the bag, just to allow putting the camera to rest on table or stuff without getting scratches or any marks from hitting table or other elements

when I carry the camera on me and I would like to not play with the cap every second I just put the hood facing outwards and leave it with no cap, so that it helps protecting the lens during that time

Yeah that's what I usually do with more conventional hoods, unless they're really large then I end up debating whether to bring them at all or not. All my E mount prime hoods are relatively small tho.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +29 more
ilumo Regular Member • Posts: 369

I have a7c as my daily driver and the 50gm isn’t that bad in terms of size. That said I’m used to larger lens. Even the 135gm wasn’t too bad when I was shooting with it a few weeks back. I don’t like using straps as I feel like they get in the way, and a hood for me is not useful and just makes the overall package bigger and more prone to bump into things. I just slap a filter in front of the lens to protect and and then I’m usually pretty care to not bang it around when using it. When I need to set it down, it will go back into my shoulder bag or it will go on a soft surface that won’t scratch the lens

ilumo's gear list:ilumo's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a7C Sony a1 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads