Suggestion for Canon SX40 Replacement

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Jayster18 New Member • Posts: 12
Suggestion for Canon SX40 Replacement

Greetings!

I'm a long time Canon user.  My collection includes a 40D, a 7D, a G12, a G16, an S95, an and an SX40HS.

Over the past five or more years, I have found myself not wanting to use my 7D (or any DSLR) when travelling.  It's just too much weight to lug around, especially because I tend to overpack.  For my last few trips, I've been bringing the SX40 and my iPhone 12 Pro Max.  Although the SX40 has served me well, it's getting on in years (I've had it for at least 8 years) and I find it to be slow  (start up, zooming, burst, etc.).  In April 2022, I will be going out a three-week out-of-country trip and my next out-of-state weekender trip will be in March 2022.  Thus, I'm starting to look for an SX40 replacement and would appreciate any recommendations.

Of course, the SX70 is a natural choice for me and it is one of the frontrunners.  My concerns are that it does not have a hot shoe (occasionally I will use a small external flash with my SX40--but this is NOT a deal breaker); the maximum aperture is only f/3.4 compared to the f/2.7 on my SX40; and I've read mixed reviews about the SX70, especially when it comes to image quality.  So, I'm wondering whether the SX70 really would be step up from my SX40 (enough to justify the $600 price tag).

Another contender is the Nikon P950.  I have not yet seen it in person (nor have I seen the SX70 or any of the other cameras I'm considering), but from what I have read it is considerably larger and heavier than the SX70 or any of the other cameras I am considering.  In addition, the MP count is lower (16 compared to 20 for the SX70), and the continuous shooting is only 7fps compared to 10 fps with the SX70.  Last, although I am not thrilled with the $800+ price tag, I would pay it if I knew that the P950 were superior to the SX40 and the SX70.

Other cameras I'm considering are the Sony DSC-HX400 (but this camera also seems heavy and old), the Panasonic DC-FZ80, the Panasonic ZS80, and the Panasonic DMC-FZ300.  Off the top of my head, I can't recall my concerns about the Panasonics, but I know that at least one of them (the DMC-FZ300) does not have the focal range of my SX40 (25-600mm compared to 24-840mm) and I really don't want less reach than I have now (on the other hand, I love the FZ300's f/2.8 aperture.

I know I'm going to have to make some comprises (I don't want to spend more than $1,000 and would prefer to keep the cost less if I can), but here's my wish list:

• Focal length at least what I have now with the SX40 (24-840mm)
  • Good low-light shooting
  • Decent burst shooting
  • Quality EVF (SX40's EVF is not good)
  • WiFi
  • Built-in GPS or way to use cell phone's GPS and Bluetooth to tag photos as they are being taken (I know the SX70 and the P940 offer this, but I don't about the others).
  • Image quality that is at least as good (and hopefully better) than the SX40
  • Startup and focusing faster than the SX40

I don't care about the ability to shoot in RAW because I rarely edit my photos.    The hot shoe would be nice, but is a compromise I am willing to make. I also like to shoot in macro mode quite a bit so that is a preference but not deal breaker since my iPhone is decent with macros.

In terms of low-light shooting, I've also considered buying a new super-zoom without regard to low-light and then, if I can keep the price down on the super-zoom, buying a pocket camera that has a large aperture just for low-light scenes (if one exists).  In fact, that's why I bought the S95 (actually, I might even have an S120) and the G16.  At one point, I was traveling with the SX40 and either the G16 or the S95/120.

So, with all that information, I am hoping you all can provide some recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
robbo2 Contributing Member • Posts: 918
Re: Suggestion for Canon SX40 Replacement

I had the SX30 and SX50. I also had the P900 and now have the P1000. The P950 is what I would get if I didn’t have the P1000. The P950 has a good OVF. Its image quality is similar to that of the P1000. If you are in the US keep your eyes open for discounted refurbished models. About a month ago, USA Nikon site was selling refurbished P950’s for $499. I also had the FZ300 and loved the F/2.8 aperture for the whole zoom range. If you can get it for $400 or less, it’s a bargain. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

robbo2's gear list:robbo2's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P950 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 3,484

I would like to ask if you really need such reach? Personally I would rather exchange smaller reach for better image quality and low light performance of 1" sensor cameras.

Sony DSC-RX10 series is expensive, but maybe cameras like Panasonic FZ2500 or FZ1000 II would serve you well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1280827-REG/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz2500_digital_camera.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1460257-REG/panasonic_dc_fz1000m2_lumix_dc_fz1000_ii_digital.html

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +2 more
OP Jayster18 New Member • Posts: 12

robbo2 wrote:

I had the SX30 and SX50. I also had the P900 and now have the P1000. The P950 is what I would get if I didn’t have the P1000. The P950 has a good OVF. Its image quality is similar to that of the P1000. If you are in the US keep your eyes open for discounted refurbished models. About a month ago, USA Nikon site was selling refurbished P950’s for $499. I also had the FZ300 and loved the F/2.8 aperture for the whole zoom range. If you can get it for $400 or less, it’s a bargain. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

Thank you for the feedback, especially with regards to the P950.  I ended up snagging a FZ80 on Amazon for just a under $300, but I haven't opened it yet and am now thinking I would be better off with a P950.  My greatest concern about the P950 is the weight.  I am hoping it is not too large.  Knowing I can get a refurbished P950 for under $500 makes it even more attractive--so long as the weight is not too great.

I had considered the FZ300 due to the f/2.8 aperture, but I don't think I will be happy with its limited focal range.

Martin_99 wrote:

I would like to ask if you really need such reach? Personally I would rather exchange smaller reach for better image quality and low light performance of 1" sensor cameras.

Sony DSC-RX10 series is expensive, but maybe cameras like Panasonic FZ2500 or FZ1000 II would serve you well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1280827-REG/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz2500_digital_camera.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1460257-REG/panasonic_dc_fz1000m2_lumix_dc_fz1000_ii_digital.html

I also seem to feel like I'm wanting more reach when I'm out and about.  I had previously looked at the FZ1000 II and took it off my list due to the max 400mm focal length.  However, I had not looked at the FZ2500.  I just took a quick gander.  At least it goes to 480mm, but that is still quite a bit less than what I am used to now with the SX40, which extends to 840mm.

Here's one of my critical questions:  If I go from the SX40 to the SX70, the Nikon P950, or the Panasonic DC-FZ80 (those are my three main contenders right now), will I see improved image quality and performance over what I have now with the SX40.   Or, will I really just be spending money and not buying myself anything better than what I own right now?

Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 3,484

Jayster18 wrote:

Martin_99 wrote:

I also seem to feel like I'm wanting more reach when I'm out and about. I had previously looked at the FZ1000 II and took it off my list due to the max 400mm focal length. However, I had not looked at the FZ2500. I just took a quick gander. At least it goes to 480mm, but that is still quite a bit less than what I am used to now with the SX40, which extends to 840mm.

Here's one of my critical questions: If I go from the SX40 to the SX70, the Nikon P950, or the Panasonic DC-FZ80 (those are my three main contenders right now), will I see improved image quality and performance over what I have now with the SX40. Or, will I really just be spending money and not buying myself anything better than what I own right now?

I have no experience with any of those cameras, but maybe we can check the theory part (switch SX40 to SX70) regarding image quality:

- same sensor size - no effect (FYI - smaller than many smartphones)

- sensor generation - ?

- higher resolution - positive effect

- bigger zoom range and slower aperture - negative effect

- image processing - ?

My guess is that image quality will be slightly better, but maybe you will not recognize it at all. This was the reson why I suggested camera with bigger sensor.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +2 more
InkedMarie
InkedMarie Senior Member • Posts: 1,992

Jayster18 wrote:

robbo2 wrote:

Thank you for the feedback, especially with regards to the P950. I ended up snagging a FZ80 on Amazon for just a under $300, but I haven't opened it yet and am now thinking I would be better off with a P950. My greatest concern about the P950 is the weight. I am hoping it is not too large. Knowing I can get a refurbished P950 for under $500 makes it even more attractive--so long as the weight is not too great.

I had considered the FZ300 due to the f/2.8 aperture, but I don't think I will be happy with its limited focal range.

If it matters, I was worried about the P950, weight wise but it’s been a non issue. I just checked the Nikon refurbished page but they have the 900 for $500 and 1000 for $900. No 950 but keep looking.  If you’re okay with used, MPB has three of the P050’s.

Marie

InkedMarie's gear list:InkedMarie's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Nikon Coolpix P950 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +1 more

The FZ80 is much smaller than the P950. I think both of those cameras will give you less noise at higher ISO's than the SX40. I had the FZ70, which supposedly had the same lens as the FZ80. I thought it was a little soft at full zoom. I think the P950 will be sharper at full zoom. One of the biggest differences will be in the optical viewfinder (OVF). The Nikon P950 and P1000 have much, much better OVF's. That's one reason why I sold my P900. Also, the P950 and P1000 shoot RAW files, not just JPEGs.  The FZ80 will be easy to carry around and will probably take decent shots. It has a pretty good burst mode, too.

The P950 weighs 2.2 pounds (about a kilogram).

The  FZ80 weighs under 1.4 pounds.

The SX40 weighs just over 1.3 pounds.

InkedMarie wrote:

Jayster18 wrote:

robbo2 wrote:

Thank you for the feedback, especially with regards to the P950. I ended up snagging a FZ80 on Amazon for just a under $300, but I haven't opened it yet and am now thinking I would be better off with a P950. My greatest concern about the P950 is the weight. I am hoping it is not too large. Knowing I can get a refurbished P950 for under $500 makes it even more attractive--so long as the weight is not too great.

If it matters, I was worried about the P950, weight wise but it’s been a non issue. I just checked the Nikon refurbished page but they have the 900 for $500 and 1000 for $900. No 950 but keep looking. If you’re okay with used, MPB has three of the P050’s.

Marie

Thank you!  I appreciate hearing from someone who has actually used the P950.  Have you travelled with it?

It's funny. I checked Nikon's website about five hours ago and didn't see any refurbished products.  I now see the refurbished P900 and the P1000.  They are both tempting.  The P1000 is still a bit more than I would like to spend, and I'm wondering whether I'm better off waiting for Nikon to post a refurbished P950.  I haven't had any experience buying used camera equipment and have some concerns about ensuring I receive undamaged equipment so I think I would stick with new or refurbished.  However, I would like to check out MPB, but I'm not familiar with that site.  Can you please post a link or the full name?

Thanks again,

robbo2 wrote:

The FZ80 is much smaller than the P950. I think both of those cameras will give you less noise at higher ISO's than the SX40. I had the FZ70, which supposedly had the same lens as the FZ80. I thought it was a little soft at full zoom. I think the P950 will be sharper at full zoom. One of the biggest differences will be in the optical viewfinder (OVF). The Nikon P950 and P1000 have much, much better OVF's. That's one reason why I sold my P900. Also, the P950 and P1000 shoot RAW files, not just JPEGs. The FZ80 will be easy to carry around and will probably take decent shots. It has a pretty good burst mode, too.

The P950 weighs 2.2 pounds (about a kilogram).

The FZ80 weighs under 1.4 pounds.

The SX40 weighs just over 1.3 pounds.

That's re-assuring to know that both the FZ80 and the P950 will be a true upgrade/improvement over the SX40.  I've heard about the FZ80 being a little soft at full zoom.  I need to hold a 2.2 weight in one hand a 1.3-1.4 weight in the other to compare.  

Martin_99 wrote:

- same sensor size - no effect (FYI - smaller than many smartphones)

- sensor generation - ?

- higher resolution - positive effect

- bigger zoom range and slower aperture - negative effect

- image processing - ?

My guess is that image quality will be slightly better, but maybe you will not recognize it at all. This was the reson why I suggested camera with bigger sensor.

Right now, I take a lot of photos with my iPhoto 12 Pro Max, but only if I don't need to further than the 2.5x optical zoom.  If/when I need further reach, I reach for the SX40 or my SX260, both of which have much longer optical zoom.  So which yields better IQ--longer optical zoom but with smaller sensor or digital zoom with larger sensor?

InkedMarie
InkedMarie Senior Member • Posts: 1,992

Jayster18 wrote:

InkedMarie wrote:

If it matters, I was worried about the P950, weight wise but it’s been a non issue. I just checked the Nikon refurbished page but they have the 900 for $500 and 1000 for $900. No 950 but keep looking. If you’re okay with used, MPB has three of the P050’s.

Marie

Thank you! I appreciate hearing from someone who has actually used the P950. Have you travelled with it?

It's funny. I checked Nikon's website about five hours ago and didn't see any refurbished products. I now see the refurbished P900 and the P1000. They are both tempting. The P1000 is still a bit more than I would like to spend, and I'm wondering whether I'm better off waiting for Nikon to post a refurbished P950. I haven't had any experience buying used camera equipment and have some concerns about ensuring I receive undamaged equipment so I think I would stick with new or refurbished. However, I would like to check out MPB, but I'm not familiar with that site. Can you please post a link or the full name?

Thanks again,

The only traveling we do are day trips and yes, I’ve taken it. 
I never thought about used til I found DPR. I rarely buy new now. Reputable places to buy used is KEH, where I have purchased most of my gear, MPB.com, B&H’ and Adorama used section and I’ve heard good things about used photo pro.com. I wouldn’t buy anything less than a good rating (some have names for ratings, others use numbers) for a camera and one step up for a lens. All my gear arrived better than I was expecting.

Marie

InkedMarie's gear list:InkedMarie's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Nikon Coolpix P950 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +1 more

InkedMarie wrote:

The only traveling we do are day trips and yes, I’ve taken it.
I never thought about used til I found DPR. I rarely buy new now. Reputable places to buy used is KEH, where I have purchased most of my gear, MPB.com, B&H’ and Adorama used section and I’ve heard good things about used photo pro.com. I wouldn’t buy anything less than a good rating (some have names for ratings, others use numbers) for a camera and one step up for a lens. All my gear arrived better than I was expecting.

Marie

Thanks again.  I'll check out MPB.com.  I'm familiar with Adorama and B&H so I suppose there's no harm in me checking out their used gear.

After reading countless reviews and comparing specs, my head is now completely spinning.  Originally, I wanted to keep the cost below $1,000 and preferably no more than $600 or so.  However, when cost is eliminated from the equation, it seems that almost universally people consistently put the Panasonic LUMIX FZ2500, the Panasonic LUMIX FZ1000 ii, and the Sony Cyber-Shot RX10 IV in the top three of the super-zoom bridge camera category.  This has me rethinking whether I should eliminate the cost issue, especially since I haven't bought a new camera in about 8 years, maybe longer, and since I expect to use whatever I buy for the next 10 years.

Being so used to the 24-840mm focal length of the SX40, I am concerned that I'll find the 25-400mm focal length of the FZ1000 and the 25-480mm focal length of the FZ2500 too short for my needs.  It seems to me that even though the RX10 IV's 24-600mm still isn't quite what I'm used to, it gets me much closer to what I have now in terms of focal length than the FZ1000 ii or the FZ2500 and, compared to my SX40, has the advantage of a 1" sensor.  So, here are my questions at this point:

1. Historically, I have avoided using digital zoom on all my point and shoot cameras because the image quality with digital zoom is vastly inferior.  However, all my current point and shoot cameras have a 1/2.3" sensor and, at this point, are at least 10 years old (based on release date of the camera).  With the RX10 IV's 1" sensor, 20.1MP, and and any other advancements, will I be able to use digital zoom to get photos equivalent to 840mm in focal length of at least comparable quality to what I have now with the SX40's optical zoom of 840mm,  1/2.3" sensor, and 12,1MP?
  2. I very much enjoy macro shooting, especially of plants and flowers, and playing with shallow depth of field.  How are the RX10 IV's macro abilities?
  3. If money were no object, would you get the Sony RX10 IV over any other super-zoom bridge camera given the information I provided in my original post and this one?  If not, what super-zoom would you get and why (again, assuming money were no object)?

Thanks again for your input!

Ontarian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,159

Jayster18 wrote:

After reading countless reviews and comparing specs, my head is now completely spinning. Originally, I wanted to keep the cost below $1,000 and preferably no more than $600 or so. However, when cost is eliminated from the equation, it seems that almost universally people consistently put the Panasonic LUMIX FZ2500, the Panasonic LUMIX FZ1000 ii, and the Sony Cyber-Shot RX10 IV in the top three of the super-zoom bridge camera category. This has me rethinking whether I should eliminate the cost issue, especially since I haven't bought a new camera in about 8 years, maybe longer, and since I expect to use whatever I buy for the next 10 years.

Being so used to the 24-840mm focal length of the SX40, I am concerned that I'll find the 25-400mm focal length of the FZ1000 and the 25-480mm focal length of the FZ2500 too short for my needs. It seems to me that even though the RX10 IV's 24-600mm still isn't quite what I'm used to, it gets me much closer to what I have now in terms of focal length than the FZ1000 ii or the FZ2500 and, compared to my SX40, has the advantage of a 1" sensor. So, here are my questions at this point:

1. Historically, I have avoided using digital zoom on all my point and shoot cameras because the image quality with digital zoom is vastly inferior. However, all my current point and shoot cameras have a 1/2.3" sensor and, at this point, are at least 10 years old (based on release date of the camera). With the RX10 IV's 1" sensor, 20.1MP, and and any other advancements, will I be able to use digital zoom to get photos equivalent to 840mm in focal length of at least comparable quality to what I have now with the SX40's optical zoom of 840mm, 1/2.3" sensor, and 12,1MP?
  2. I very much enjoy macro shooting, especially of plants and flowers, and playing with shallow depth of field. How are the RX10 IV's macro abilities?
  3. If money were no object, would you get the Sony RX10 IV over any other super-zoom bridge camera given the information I provided in my original post and this one? If not, what super-zoom would you get and why (again, assuming money were no object)?

Thanks again for your input!

1. Bought the RX10 iv about three months ago and have never used the digital zoom , but have on a previous Canon P&S. Found the IQ quickly deteriorated using it.
  2. Have not tried macros but have seen posts showing excellent results with the RX10.
  3. Spent 3-4 months exploring the options from APSC though M4/3 to bridge cameras, and decided the RX10 iv best met my needs concerning weight, flexibility, focal length, IQ and control options.  It was above my anticipated budget, but I know I would not have been satisfied with less expensive options .

I am completely satisfied with the RX10.  Now just need to learn how to get the best out of it, and hone my skills.

Don

Ontarian's gear list:Ontarian's gear list
Sony RX10 IV

Ontarian wrote:

Bought the RX10 iv about three months ago and have never used the digital zoom , but have on a previous Canon P&S. Found the IQ quickly deteriorated using it.

1. Have not tried macros but have seen posts showing excellent results with the RX10.
  2. Spent 3-4 months exploring the options from APSC though M4/3 to bridge cameras, and decided the RX10 iv best met my needs concerning weight, flexibility, focal length, IQ and control options. It was above my anticipated budget, but I know I would not have been satisfied with less expensive options .

I am completely satisfied with the RX10. Now just need to learn how to get the best out of it, and hone my skills.

Don

Thanks, Don.  One of my concerns has been the weight and size of the camera.  I want something that I can fit into a carry-on  for plane travel (certainly don't want to check a $1,500+ camera in my luggage) without cause the carry-on bag to be too heavy or bulky.  I also want something that will be easy to carry all day long and on long walks.  With that in mind, how have you found the RX10 iv's size and weight?

Ontarian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,159

Jayster18 wrote:

Thanks, Don. One of my concerns has been the weight and size of the camera. I want something that I can fit into a carry-on for plane travel (certainly don't want to check a $1,500+ camera in my luggage) without cause the carry-on bag to be too heavy or bulky. I also want something that will be easy to carry all day long and on long walks. With that in mind, how have you found the RX10 iv's size and weight?

The answer to that is rather subjective.  I had a Canon 60D and four lenses, a 10-20, a 17-70. a 50, and the longest being a 70-300 DO.  I was happy with the IQ of all of them, but often missed a shot because of having the wrong lens on.   I also wanted more reach for birding.  I borrowed a Tamron 150-600 and didn't like it at all.  Slow to focus and most importantly a beast to carry and shoot with.  I borrowed a 100-400 II and it performed very well, but was still a lot heavier than I wanted.  The cost was $$$.

I looked into M4/3, but to get a good one with a decent long lens, the cost was getting up there and so was the weight.  I would also have to by a couple of shorter FL lenses.

Someone mentioned the RX10 and other bridge cameras.  I tried the Nikon 950 but the ergomonics and IQ, especially noise, rule it out.  A local camera shop finally got the RX10 in after six weeks of waiting and they let me use it for two days.  I found the IQ was better than my Canon ASPC, I could crop more, it focused faster and had 25% more reach.  It also weighed 25% less than my Canon with any lens but the plastic 50mm, and 25% less than the 70-300 DO.  I was sold.

Still learning with it and still waiting to travel.

Don

Ontarian's gear list:Ontarian's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
rsn Contributing Member • Posts: 784
Think outside the box (camera)

So I have a suggestion which won't get your mojo going right away but I'll still put it forward.

You have cameras with all the whistles and bells so why duplicate great cameras you already have. I'm a Canon guy with a Canon 5D mk4 and 8 lenses, three of them L, others being very good third party lenses. In the past I owned the 5D mk2 and prior to that two Rebels.

My experience as I got older was to bring a camera and two lenses along on vacation trips, winery tours, ship cruises and work experiences in the Yukon. But I found when I took the camera along leaving the hotel or RV or ships bedroom, I'd only take my camera and one lens. First it was a zoom, the 28 - 135mm, then later instead of the zoom, my 50 mm f1.4. I soon realized that one camera/one lens was the way to go. And I moved from the 50mm to a 35mm, easier to shoot inside shots.

With this combo - one camera/one lens - yes, I did miss some shots. But I shot much more than when taking two lenses along. No juggling of lenses, decisions about the right mm length, etc. etc.

Eventually I decided to go with the Fujifilm fixed prime lens range finder styled X100f, part of the 100 series. The latest is the X100v, but the last two iterations of the 100 series will do you right.

I'll add one video review of this camera and I genuinely think you will have more fun with this camera than anything that is your basic camera/zoom combo. Many people who use this camera have stopped shooting in RAW and are JPEG only with the X100 series. There are film simulations that are a good jumping point for "recipes" that users have developed. You can download a free app - Fuji Weekly - which will provide you with 100 recipes for Fuji cameras on your smart or iPhone.

Mattias Burling is a Fuji reviewer so you aren't just listening to a f^nb^y rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih8ovQml8JQ

rsn's gear list:rsn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +11 more

Others have some good ideas. Here are mine.

The SX40 had not bad picture quality for a small sensor superzoom camera in 2012. I had the even longer zoomed SX50 for a couple of years. I liked it except for the small OVF.

I have the RX10 IV now. It's a different kind of beast. It zooms optically out to 600 mm and out to 1200 with enhanced digital zoom. I think it's better than the average digital zoom, but that's just my opinion.

It's built sturdy. It takes pictures so fast. It's probably the best superzoom.

If you are happy with your image quality with the SX40, consider the Nikon P950.  It's much bigger than the SX40 but its OVF is much, much better. I just checked the prices on Amazon and, wow, it's expensive now. However, if you can find one for $800 or less (new) or $700 or less refurbished, I think it's a good deal. The zoom range is more than double that of the SX40.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide on.

Re: Think outside the box (camera)

rsn wrote:

So I have a suggestion which won't get your mojo going right away but I'll still put it forward.

You have cameras with all the whistles and bells so why duplicate great cameras you already have. I'm a Canon guy with a Canon 5D mk4 and 8 lenses, three of them L, others being very good third party lenses. In the past I owned the 5D mk2 and prior to that two Rebels.

My experience as I got older was to bring a camera and two lenses along on vacation trips, winery tours, ship cruises and work experiences in the Yukon. But I found when I took the camera along leaving the hotel or RV or ships bedroom, I'd only take my camera and one lens. First it was a zoom, the 28 - 135mm, then later instead of the zoom, my 50 mm f1.4. I soon realized that one camera/one lens was the way to go. And I moved from the 50mm to a 35mm, easier to shoot inside shots.

With this combo - one camera/one lens - yes, I did miss some shots. But I shot much more than when taking two lenses along. No juggling of lenses, decisions about the right mm length, etc. etc.

Eventually I decided to go with the Fujifilm fixed prime lens range finder styled X100f, part of the 100 series. The latest is the X100v, but the last two iterations of the 100 series will do you right.

I'll add one video review of this camera and I genuinely think you will have more fun with this camera than anything that is your basic camera/zoom combo. Many people who use this camera have stopped shooting in RAW and are JPEG only with the X100 series. There are film simulations that are a good jumping point for "recipes" that users have developed. You can download a free app - Fuji Weekly - which will provide you with 100 recipes for Fuji cameras on your smart or iPhone.

Mattias Burling is a Fuji reviewer so you aren't just listening to a f^nb^y rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih8ovQml8JQ

The video makes that Fuji look quite impressive.  However, I suspect that is more to do with who is behind the lens operating the shutter than the camera itself.     It's ironic that you mention bringing only two lenses with you.  The last time I traveled with my Canon 7D, I think I just brought along a Tamron 28-300 (or something similar).  But I really don't want to bring a DSLR or anything with an interchangeable lens overseas.  If I weren't considering buying something new, I would travel with my SX40 and the G16, which is what I brought to Italy in 2013.  At this point, I'm just looking for something that is faster on the start-up and focusing and that has better IQ than the SX40.  I still might travel with the superzoom and bring the G16 or my S95 for any lowlight shots.  (I think I brought the G16 because it used the same battery as the SX40, but I could be confusing the G16 with my G12--one of them uses the same battery as the SX40).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads