My First Ever Roll Of Film Developed By me. With Ilford HP5 Plus , Kodak D76, Scanned by Plustek

Started 8 months ago | Photos
Sourov
Sourov Regular Member • Posts: 304
My First Ever Roll Of Film Developed By me. With Ilford HP5 Plus , Kodak D76, Scanned by Plustek

Ilford HP5 Plus 400.

Canon 17-40 Ef L F4

Shot at box speed

Standard development time with Kodak D76

White vinegar as a Stopper

Tetenan Rapid Fixer

Standard Development Time.

Rain Drops

Ravine of Reunion Island

My Other Half

-- hide signature --

Sourov Deb

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,830
Re: My First Ever Roll Of Film Developed By me. With Ilford HP5 Plus , Kodak D76, Scanned by Plustek

Good work.  My only suggestion.  You are working with plenty of light.  Try FP4, even Pan F.  Pan F might even develop well at 1:2 dilution.

Rob Tupper
Rob Tupper Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: My First Ever Roll Of Film Developed By me. With Ilford HP5 Plus , Kodak D76, Scanned by Plustek

Gesture wrote:

Good work. My only suggestion. You are working with plenty of light. Try FP4, even Pan F. Pan F might even develop well at 1:2 dilution.

Problem there is not you are only thinking about grain.  HP5 has an entirely different look and palette than Pan F.

Rob Tupper's gear list:Rob Tupper's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 2,982

Great photos -- and more importantly than that, congrats on making it through the whole process! I think some film photographers are intimidated by the process of development, and I really think they are missing out. Good work trying it and great work on the photos!

I do agree that if you are working with a lot of sunlight, you can probably do with a 100-speed film. Grain would be finer (which may or may not be a concern -- me, I love grain) and you can use slower shutter speeds and/or wider apertures.

Great work and welcome to the wonderful world of DIY film developing!

Aaron

-- hide signature --
Sourov
OP Sourov Regular Member • Posts: 304

Thank you folks. I must say, I was sweating from beginning till the end.

That feeloof relief was wondering.

-- hide signature --

Sourov Deb

Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 2,982

Sourov wrote:

Hah! To me there is little finer than that moment when you pull the film out of the tank, unroll a bit and see images. It seemed like magic when I first did it, oh, 30 years ago, and it's still magic today. I always have to take that little peek, and I always think -- "What do you know, it worked!"

Aaron

-- hide signature --
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,830

Yes. Negatives have an aesthetic-and thrill-of their own.

Sourov

Gesture wrote:

Yes. Negatives have an aesthetic-and thrill-of their own.

Without a doubt. Many times in between I said to myself, ok , I think I effed up . During the agitation, the tank felt loose, I thought the light leaked via water reflection etc. 😂

It's something.

-- hide signature --

Sourov Deb

Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,952

Sourov wrote:

Ilford HP5 Plus 400.

Canon 17-40 Ef L F4

Shot at box speed

Tetenan Rapid Fixer

Rain Drops

Ravine of Reunion Island

My Other Half

Very nice.

Good contrast, no evidence of dust or watermarks - you would seem to be a natural!

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/
Please respect a BY-NC-ND cc licence on all my public internet images

Sourov

Bob Janes wrote:

Sourov wrote:

Ilford HP5 Plus 400.

Canon 17-40 Ef L F4

Shot at box speed

Tetenan Rapid Fixer

Rain Drops

Ravine of Reunion Island

My Other Half

Very nice.

Good contrast, no evidence of dust or watermarks - you would seem to be a natural!

That's very nice of you to say that. My wife told me that I was sooooooo much concentrated during the development process, that, I didn't even almost blink. She had to remind me to breathe.

Lol

-- hide signature --

Sourov Deb

Bob Janes

Sourov wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

Sourov wrote:

Ilford HP5 Plus 400.

Canon 17-40 Ef L F4

Shot at box speed

Tetenan Rapid Fixer

Rain Drops

Ravine of Reunion Island

My Other Half

Very nice.

That's very nice of you to say that. My wife told me that I was sooooooo much concentrated during the development process, that, I didn't even almost blink. She had to remind me to breathe.

Lol

You say you used a Plustek scanner - which model?

-- hide signature --

Hello to Jason Isaacs!

Sourov

Bob Janes wrote:

Sourov wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

Sourov wrote:

Ilford HP5 Plus 400.

Canon 17-40 Ef L F4

Shot at box speed

Tetenan Rapid Fixer

Rain Drops

Ravine of Reunion Island

My Other Half

Very nice.

Lol

It's a Plustek Opticfilm 8100. Pretty much a base cheaper model. But serves me well.

Here is a Scan of Fuji c200 film. I am happy with the results 😊.

https://flic.kr/p/2mhryt1

Ps. Great images in your smugmug website 😊

-- hide signature --

Sourov Deb

Bob Janes

Sourov wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

Sourov wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

Sourov wrote:

Ilford HP5 Plus 400.

Canon 17-40 Ef L F4

Shot at box speed

Tetenan Rapid Fixer

Rain Drops

Ravine of Reunion Island

My Other Half

Very nice.

Lol

It's a Plustek Opticfilm 8100. Pretty much a base cheaper model. But serves me well.

You are very kind.

I recently got the Plustek 135i, which I think is the same sensor as your scanner, but with a motorised advance...

-- hide signature --

Hello to Jason Isaacs!

Sourov

Bob Janes wrote:

Sourov wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

Sourov wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

Sourov wrote:

Ilford HP5 Plus 400.

Canon 17-40 Ef L F4

Shot at box speed

Tetenan Rapid Fixer

Rain Drops

Ravine of Reunion Island

My Other Half

Very nice.

Lol

You are very kind.

I recently got the Plustek 135i, which I think is the same sensor as your scanner, but with a motorised advance..

I recently scanned about 650+ agfachrome slides for someone. And after scanning 300th slide, I told myself, "Why didn't you get a 135i You Checp Bas....."

Good god it was painfully long..... Really long ..

-- hide signature --

Sourov Deb

Bob Janes

Sourov wrote:

I recently scanned about 650+ agfachrome slides for someone. And after scanning 300th slide, I told myself, "Why didn't you get a 135i You Checp Bas....."

If it makes you feel any better, it would still have been 50 passes on the 135i...

-- hide signature --

Hello to Jason Isaacs!

Tomm111 Senior Member • Posts: 1,779

Sourov wrote:

Thank you folks. I must say, I was sweating from beginning till the end.

Hee I have been developing filmfor over 50 years, I still do quick wash after fixer remover/hypoclearing agent and look at the film, I am not kool enough to wait for the photo flo.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +18 more
Sourov

Bob Janes wrote:

Sourov wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, it would still have been 50 passes on the 135i...

Really! It's pretty quick, no?

-- hide signature --

Sourov Deb

Bob Janes

Sourov wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

Sourov wrote:

Really! It's pretty quick, no?

Faster for negatives than slides - you only get to do 4 slides at a time, so the full 650 would have been over 160 loads...

-- hide signature --

Hello to Jason Isaacs!

Ulrik Christiansen
Ulrik Christiansen Senior Member • Posts: 2,494

Sourov wrote:

Ilford HP5 Plus 400.

Canon 17-40 Ef L F4

Shot at box speed

Tetenan Rapid Fixer

Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Ulrik Christiansen's gear list:Ulrik Christiansen's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,657

Congratulations! Very nice job indeed.

After 50 years since I developed my first roll of Verichrome out of a 126 Instamatic cartridge, the excitement with each new roll never ceases. Maybe someday you'll get to experience the other amazing part - watching a wet print materialize before your eyes in a tray under a safelight. Those frames are perfect - they'd virtual print themselves. Even if you don't have a fancy darkroom or can find a community darkroom to try at least once, but be prepared - it's highly addictive when you come over to the "dark" side.

Mike

-- hide signature --

The one thing everyone can agree on is that film photography has its negatives. It even has its positives and internegatives.

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads