Maybe Nikon's waiting for the Z9 hype to die down before sending DSLRs out with a bang

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Craftsman70 Contributing Member • Posts: 668
Re: Maybe Nikon's waiting for the Z9 hype to die down before sending DSLRs out with a bang

Droster wrote:

Except nobody’s saying Nikon’s DSLRs are also-ran. Their main competitor is not competing on this hill anymore and the title of best DSLRs in their respective formats are very much solidified.

The arms race is happening on the other hill.

To a certain extent, Nikon is competing against the trends of the day and their own products.  They need to put out products that attract new customers (or at least net new sales) in order to stay a company.  I'm sure the last typewriter manufacturer was the king of their hill as well but that didn't get them anywhere.

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +14 more
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,829
Wishful Thinking

FuhTeng wrote:

fpapp wrote:

FuhTeng wrote:

And, importantly, Nikon says "this is it. Our last F-mount camera. Get it while you can. It has everything we can throw at F-mount in it."

I would buy it, and I would say to Nikon: "Thank you, this is my last Nikon camera! The last Nikon camera I'll be buying new anyway"

And because they've gotten that one last purchase from you, after your years of purchases, I bet they'd be okay with that. While continuing to bombard you with Z marketing.

This is all wishful thinking FuhTeng. Nikon is rocketing down the Z path and not looking back. To be successful and competitive with Sony and Canon they need to continue developing Z-mount lenses so Nikon has a complete system offering that rivals them.

If Nikon did offer one last DSLR they'd be unlikely to announce it as the last model. Who would buy into such a camera except long time DSLR shooters who already have all the lenses they need. No one looking for a new system - first time and young buyers - would buy into a dying format.

I wouldn't have bought the D850 a year ago for $500 off if I thought then that Nikon would drop the DSLR. A year ago many of us believed a new D880 was coming.

I'm beginning to realize that the 2 DSLRs I have are the last ones I'll own or buy. With any luck, Nikon will offer a MILC between the Z7II and the Z9 for a price I can justify. Then I'll evaluate the appeal of using my fine F-mount lenses on that. If not, I'll be looking at selling all of my Nikon gear and evaluating all of the available MILC systems.

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,829
Maybe Nikon's waiting for the Z9 to die with a bang

T O Shooter wrote:

I think you're dreaming. Which is okay.

My thought exactly. It's just wishful thinking.

Like "Nikon is waiting for the Z9 to die..."

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,067
Re: Maybe Nikon's waiting for the Z9 hype to die down before sending DSLRs out with a bang

shuncheung wrote:

Right. While I don’t quite believe in those exaggerated Z9 preorder figures, Nikon will sell a lot of them, and not many people will still have budget left for another camera, either Z or DSLR, for a while.

I bought my first Nikon SLR in 1977. When I bought my D850 and 500 PF in January 2019, I figured that those would be my last F-mount purchases.

Same here.  I added the 19mm T/S to that list.  But yeah.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-E3 +39 more
Droster Senior Member • Posts: 1,825

Craftsman70 wrote:

Droster wrote:

Except nobody’s saying Nikon’s DSLRs are also-ran. Their main competitor is not competing on this hill anymore and the title of best DSLRs in their respective formats are very much solidified.

The arms race is happening on the other hill.

To a certain extent, Nikon is competing against the trends of the day and their own products. They need to put out products that attract new customers (or at least net new sales) in order to stay a company. I'm sure the last typewriter manufacturer was the king of their hill as well but that didn't get them anywhere.

And that's where the Z mount comes in to take over and carry on that fight.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 +9 more
AWG_Pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,759

AWG_Pics wrote:

When I bought a D850 last week to compliment my D5 and D500, I did it thinking they are all end of the DSLR line products from Nikon. (D6 in my opinion was not such a big improvement over D5.) I would be surprised if another DSLR comes out of Nikon.

But I have been surprised before.

Today I took the D850 out with the old late 1970's 400 f2.8 Nikon lens and am completely satisfied with the results in crappy light for BIF. And no, AF-fine tune was not needed -- it rarely is. I am sure my Sigma 40 mm Art will also be fine for landscapes when the rain abates.

Z? Whatever. I am not needing it for anything.

AWG_Pics's gear list:AWG_Pics's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 +14 more
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,108
Why Would Nikon Want...

...the Z9 hype to die down? They've invested everything in the development and rollout of that camera. And now they're going to just stand by and wait for the enthusiasm to calm so they can roll out a DSLR. Think about it. That would send entirely the wrong message. It makes no sense.

If the pre-order rumors are anything close to accurate, photographers are more excited about the Z9 than any Nikon body since the D850. If anything, Nikon will leverage that enthusiasm by making an announcement - perhaps by the end of this calendar year - that the Z8 is in development and coming in 2022. Reassuring photographers that Z9 capability will be designed into downmarket products is the #1 thing Nikon can do to leverage the Z9 hype. It's how they retain their remaining D5/D850/D500 users who want to move to mirrorless but will only do so for the right product. Send a clear message that their long-awaited replacement is coming.

While they're at it, dropping some hints that a Z900 is on the way would make me very happy. And shouldn't that be Nikon's #1 priority? 

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
shuncheung Veteran Member • Posts: 3,934
Re: Why Would Nikon Want...

Bill Ferris wrote:

If the pre-order rumors are anything close to accurate, photographers are more excited about the Z9 than any Nikon body since the D850. If anything, Nikon will leverage that enthusiasm by making an announcement - perhaps by the end of this calendar year - that the Z8 is in development and coming in 2022. Reassuring photographers that Z9 capability will be designed into downmarket products is the #1 thing Nikon can do to leverage the Z9 hype.

There is only a month and half left in 2021, and Nikon won't start shipping the Z9 until at least mid December. There is no better way to stop their own Z9's momentum to announce some "Z8" is coming with most of Z9's features but less expensive. Or announce another DSLR money loser when the world has moved to mirrorless. Either move would be a major shot in their own foot.

The only new DSLR Nikon may announce in the future are those anniversary model, special edition type, ALA Leica. But even that is getting unlikely. Nikon already have the retro Zfc. Perhaps that will make an FX version.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,833

shuncheung wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

If the pre-order rumors are anything close to accurate, photographers are more excited about the Z9 than any Nikon body since the D850. If anything, Nikon will leverage that enthusiasm by making an announcement - perhaps by the end of this calendar year - that the Z8 is in development and coming in 2022. Reassuring photographers that Z9 capability will be designed into downmarket products is the #1 thing Nikon can do to leverage the Z9 hype.

There is only a month and half left in 2021, and Nikon won't start shipping the Z9 until at least mid December. There is no better way to stop their own Z9's momentum to announce some "Z8" is coming with most of Z9's features but less expensive. Or announce another DSLR money loser when the world has moved to mirrorless. Either move would be a major shot in their own foot.

The world hasn't moved to mirrorless, most especially Nikon's world. Nikon and the other manufacturers may have transitioned to ML, but the number of DSLRs in use drastically outweigh ML bodies of Dx or Fx construction. At this point, even if Nikon were so inclined, DSLRs are such a mature product and the f mount lens system is so expansive, that they would be foolish to even throw them a sideways glance right now. Nikon is still years (and years) from matching the 200 f2, 300 2.8, 500 f4, 600 f4, 800 f5.6, 300 Pf and 500 Pf in Zee mount. Throw in 105 1.4 and a few other shorter lengths and you can add some more years.

In the Nikon ecosystem, the Z9 is the first ML worth a look for someone considering switching systems and shoots a variety of subjects including things that move. FW release after FW release, and you still hear "when are we getting another one? " There's most likely one running in the Zee thread now.

So while you may want to justify your purchase by dissing DSLRs, until the Z9 is in stores, and it is what's promised, and what it's hyped to be by ambassadors and other reviewers, you have nothing to justify your comments. I could see if you were talking Sony or even Canon, but Nikon has nothing in the market right now that touches a D850, D500, D5. Nothing.

And I may buy a Z9. Or Alpha 1. But on this date, nothing changes what I said above.

The only new DSLR Nikon may announce in the future are those anniversary model, special edition type, ALA Leica. But even that is getting unlikely. Nikon already have the retro Zfc. Perhaps that will make an FX version.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Camillo Contributing Member • Posts: 882

FuhTeng wrote:

The sensor of the Z9 is the key, we all know this. That rapid readout is astonishing. Sure, let the Z9 be the new Nikon flagship. But would Nikon really let DSLRs wither on the vine? The entire F-mount history of the company just go out silently after the D6? I don't believe it.

And I love my D850.

What if Nikon's simply waiting for the Z9 hype to settle down before finally unveiling their last FX DSLR (and I really hope they just come out and say it is the last, rather than just disappearing into the night like Samsung).

They already have the pieces, they already have the userbase to buy it, so let's make a super DSLR, what the D780 wishes it could be -

D6 AF (no other DSLR coming so let's just spread that cost out over another body) with all customization

Z7 II sensor (Z9 sensor will be in enormous demand for months, Z7 II is fabulous for everything but fast action and high-resolution video)

D850 body with whatever D6 usability tools will improve it like customizability and rapid settings swaps

Perhaps even that hybrid OVF/EVF I've seen rumored for years and years.

Call it the D900 and price it at $3500 or even $3800. I bet it'd do just fine.

I think every month that goes by without a D500 replacement means there's less chance of an F-mount D500 replacement. Perhaps an APS-C-sized slice of the Z9 sensor will be in a Z90 but I'm skeptical of that too.

I try no to post here anymore for the very reason others like Thom Hogan have stopped doing so also. Heres my thoughts:

Mirrorless main astonishing point is the AF speed and accuracy. I don't presume to know if this is possible but what if Nikon makes a DSLR with the same AF speed and accuracy?

I believe that if that happens people will upgrade DSLRS in mass. However Nikon and Canon really want to get people to believe in a digital revolution as in the days of the DSLR when introduced. Meaning new lenses, new cameras for everyone naturally for them equalling for sales.

But yeah I don't think Nikon will dump DSLRS because of the heritage and theres a chance they may enhance AF accuracy to close to or equal to mirrorless because its just too good a business also because of the heritage it has.

Camillo's gear list:Camillo's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Phase One Capture One Pro
Fullframer Senior Member • Posts: 1,030

T O Shooter wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

The world hasn't moved to mirrorless, most especially Nikon's world. Nikon and the other manufacturers may have transitioned to ML, but the number of DSLRs in use drastically outweigh ML bodies of Dx or Fx construction. At this point, even if Nikon were so inclined, DSLRs are such a mature product and the f mount lens system is so expansive, that they would be foolish to even throw them a sideways glance right now. Nikon is still years (and years) from matching the 200 f2, 300 2.8, 500 f4, 600 f4, 800 f5.6, 300 Pf and 500 Pf in Zee mount. Throw in 105 1.4 and a few other shorter lengths and you can add some more years.

In the Nikon ecosystem, the Z9 is the first ML worth a look for someone considering switching systems and shoots a variety of subjects including things that move. FW release after FW release, and you still hear "when are we getting another one? " There's most likely one running in the Zee thread now.

So while you may want to justify your purchase by dissing DSLRs, until the Z9 is in stores, and it is what's promised, and what it's hyped to be by ambassadors and other reviewers, you have nothing to justify your comments. I could see if you were talking Sony or even Canon, but Nikon has nothing in the market right now that touches a D850, D500, D5. Nothing.

Exactly.  If they prefer the lag in the Z7 view finder for fast moving sports or it's autofocus that is still not as good as the D850's for fast moving objects.  Much reduced battery life vs the DSLR.  have to carry 3 batteries to last what 1 battery in my DSLR.     But to them that's a step forward, lol.     Video or live view picture taking is superior in the Mirrorless, I don't shoot video or take photos from the LCD screen.

And I may buy a Z9. Or Alpha 1. But on this date, nothing changes what I said above.

Me too, down the road a  Z9 or enhanced version of it.  I have to play around with and it's view finder.

Camillo wrote:

FuhTeng wrote:

The sensor of the Z9 is the key, we all know this. That rapid readout is astonishing. Sure, let the Z9 be the new Nikon flagship. But would Nikon really let DSLRs wither on the vine? The entire F-mount history of the company just go out silently after the D6? I don't believe it.

And I love my D850.

What if Nikon's simply waiting for the Z9 hype to settle down before finally unveiling their last FX DSLR (and I really hope they just come out and say it is the last, rather than just disappearing into the night like Samsung).

They already have the pieces, they already have the userbase to buy it, so let's make a super DSLR, what the D780 wishes it could be -

D6 AF (no other DSLR coming so let's just spread that cost out over another body) with all customization

Z7 II sensor (Z9 sensor will be in enormous demand for months, Z7 II is fabulous for everything but fast action and high-resolution video)

D850 body with whatever D6 usability tools will improve it like customizability and rapid settings swaps

Perhaps even that hybrid OVF/EVF I've seen rumored for years and years.

Call it the D900 and price it at $3500 or even $3800. I bet it'd do just fine.

I think every month that goes by without a D500 replacement means there's less chance of an F-mount D500 replacement. Perhaps an APS-C-sized slice of the Z9 sensor will be in a Z90 but I'm skeptical of that too.

I try no to post here anymore for the very reason others like Thom Hogan have stopped doing so also. Heres my thoughts:

Mirrorless main astonishing point is the AF speed and accuracy. I don't presume to know if this is possible but what if Nikon makes a DSLR with the same AF speed and accuracy?

FYI.. For fast moving action the Nikon Z mount autofocus is not as good or accurate in keepers as the D850/D5/D6.   Until the Z9, I'd have to see some in depth tests.

I believe that if that happens people will upgrade DSLRS in mass. However Nikon and Canon really want to get people to believe in a digital revolution as in the days of the DSLR when introduced. Meaning new lenses, new cameras for everyone naturally for them equalling for sales.

But yeah I don't think Nikon will dump DSLRS because of the heritage and theres a chance they may enhance AF accuracy to close to or equal to mirrorless because its just too good a business also because of the heritage it has.

AWG_Pics wrote:

AWG_Pics wrote:

When I bought a D850 last week to compliment my D5 and D500, I did it thinking they are all end of the DSLR line products from Nikon. (D6 in my opinion was not such a big improvement over D5.) I would be surprised if another DSLR comes out of Nikon.

Today I took the D850 out with the old late 1970's 400 f2.8 Nikon lens and am completely satisfied with the results in crappy light for BIF. And no, AF-fine tune was not needed -- it rarely is. I am sure my Sigma 40 mm Art will also be fine for landscapes when the rain abates.

Nice.  Until such times.   Most of these people will not get any better as a photographer.  D850 is beyond most of their capabilities anyway.  It's all about the latest and greatest.  LOL

FrankG Senior Member • Posts: 2,553

AWG_Pics wrote:

AWG_Pics wrote:

Perhaps you mean an old 1990's model ??

Frank

FrankG's gear list:FrankG's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z9
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 6,812

shuncheung wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

The thing is hype like this has a way of dieing fast. Why? Well because most nikon users won't buy this because of its price size and weight. The bigger market will be in a Z8 or whatever nikon calls it, but essentially a z7ii style body but with pro controls - without the missing buttons like the focus mode button, the 10 pin remote terminal at the front so it doesn't interfere with l bracket use, better AF, less or no blackout, so on and so forth (that z9 horizontal and vertical tilting screen is a must!). I think it is unlikely that masses of people who want a Z9 will suddenly not wish that style of body just because a Z8 is on it's way. The Z9 body is massive and weighty, if you want that type of camera you already know and go for it.

T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,833

primeshooter wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

The thing is hype like this has a way of dieing fast. Why? Well because most nikon users won't buy this because of its price size and weight. The bigger market will be in a Z8 or whatever nikon calls it, but essentially a z7ii style body but with pro controls - without the missing buttons like the focus mode button, the 10 pin remote terminal at the front so it doesn't interfere with l bracket use, better AF, less or no blackout, so on and so forth (that z9 horizontal and vertical tilting screen is a must!). I think it is unlikely that masses of people who want a Z9 will suddenly not wish that style of body just because a Z8 is on it's way. The Z9 body is massive and weighty, if you want that type of camera you already know and go for it.

I think there's going to be a rude surprise for a lot of fellows with a pent up want for a good Zee body, who have now pre-ordered a Z9.  Many are the same fellows who rushed to the Z6/Z7 to get away from the DSLRs that they called "bricks", wanting the "smaller form factor" and lighter weight.

I suspect there will be a few Z9s for sale once they realize what they bought.  I grip everything, so I'm not used to or require something small, but when you pick up my D850 gripped with big battery or the D4s or the D500 gripped with big battery, one certainly realize what I have in hand.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,108

primeshooter wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

Exactly. Nikon only benefits from the Z9 by developing and releasing downmarket products that make the most desirable features & functionality of the Z9 available to enthusiasts.

The sooner they get on with that, the better. No D4 thru D6 shooter who's been waiting for the Z9 is going to pass on it because a non-gripped Z8 is announced. Not. One. If a D850 shooter who pre-ordered a Z9 cancels to get in line for a Z8, Nikon still gets a multi-thousand dollar sale. Plus they'll get the same sale from the thousands of D850 shooters who didn't pre-order a Z9 but can't wait to get in line for the Z8. If Nikon announces a Z900 is in development, the line of D500 and D7500 shooters getting in line for that will be long and enthusiastic. Professionals who pre-ordered the Z9 may join them in that line to get a second body having a similar user interface & functionality but lighter in weight and better at filling the frame when photographing distant subjects.

Any way we slice it, Nikon benefits from priming the customer enthusiasm pump and announcing downmarket products build around Z9 features & functionality as soon as possible. That only results in more people being excited about what's coming from Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
AWG_Pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,759

FrankG wrote:

AWG_Pics wrote:

AWG_Pics wrote:

Perhaps you mean an old 1990's model ??

Frank

Yes. I just looked it up again on this site: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#400

It was built between July of 1994 and January of 1998. Thanks for the reminder.

AWG_Pics's gear list:AWG_Pics's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 +14 more

T O Shooter wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

I think there's going to be a rude surprise for a lot of fellows with a pent up want for a good Zee body, who have now pre-ordered a Z9. Many are the same fellows who rushed to the Z6/Z7 to get away from the DSLRs that they called "bricks", wanting the "smaller form factor" and lighter weight.

I suspect there will be a few Z9s for sale once they realize what they bought. I grip everything, so I'm not used to or require something small, but when you pick up my D850 gripped with big battery or the D4s or the D500 gripped with big battery, one certainly realize what I have in hand.

You might be right.  I grip half of my cameras.  I use a gripped D850 for larger lens and portrait shoots.  And non gripped one when I want to go lighter, lol.

mainoo Regular Member • Posts: 471

Bill Ferris wrote:

Any way we slice it, Nikon benefits from priming the customer enthusiasm pump and announcing downmarket products build around Z9 features & functionality as soon as possible. That only results in more people being excited about what's coming from Nikon.

No, not as soon as possible. Nikon's nest bet is to thoroughly soak up the Z9 market before releasing anything further. I predict the following timeline

Dec 2021.  Nikon Z9 - if the demand stories are true, it'll take a year for everyone who wants one to get one. More people will jump on board if the camera lives up to the hype.

Dec 2022   Nikon Z8 - slimmed down version of Z9  (same form factor) with key features in place but priced at USD 3K+.

Dec 2023.   Nikon Z6/7 III - same form factor - AF finally fixed and some features from Z9 (if they are smart, they'll keep the LCD) and priced same as now.

Dec 2024 Nikon ZX - they'll be working on this now to ensure that they retain the advantage they have over the rest of the field. Then rinse and repeat.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads