iPhone 13 Pro vs Huawei P40 Pro vs Leica Leitz Phone 1, Jpeg and RAW comparison

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Ather Mehboob Junior Member • Posts: 33
iPhone 13 Pro vs Huawei P40 Pro vs Leica Leitz Phone 1, Jpeg and RAW comparison

I was curious to see the difference in. sooc jpeg vs RAW among these camera phones.

I am uploading jpeg +RAW from iPhone, Leica, and the high-resolution AI shot from Huawei + jpeg. I

feel Huawei high res gives the best resolution among these (for stationary subjects) cameras. Leica 1 inch type sensor has its own advantages when images are processed from RAW.

The focus point is the pillar on the left side.

iPhone jpeg

iPhone RAW

Leica Phone 1 jPeg (GCAM)

Leica Phone 1 RAW

Huawei P40 Pro jPeg

Huawei P40 Pro High res AI image

firoze
firoze Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: iPhone 13 Pro vs Huawei P40 Pro vs Leica Leitz Phone 1, Jpeg and RAW comparison

Thanks for posting these. I think the Leitz 1 has by far the most natural colour rendition, the iPhone the least good of the three. There is also more "depth" in the Leitz images.

firoze's gear list:firoze's gear list
Sony RX100 Leica X Vario Leica V-Lux (Typ 114)
Ken Prager Regular Member • Posts: 424
Re: iPhone 13 Pro vs Huawei P40 Pro vs Leica Leitz Phone 1, Jpeg and RAW comparison

Thank you so much for doing this! 👍

I like the images from Leitz Phone 1 best! How did the image quality of the lenses compare at different focal lengths? Since the Leitz Phone 1 only has one lens, how is its IQ using digital zoom compared to the lenses of the other phones?

How did the handling of the phones compare?

Thanks again! 😉

OP Ather Mehboob Junior Member • Posts: 33

Ken Prager wrote:

Thank you so much for doing this! 👍

I like the images from Leitz Phone 1 best! How did the image quality of the lenses compare at different focal lengths? Since the Leitz Phone 1 only has one lens, how is its IQ using digital zoom compared to the lenses of the other phones?

How did the handling of the phones compare?

Thanks again! 😉

Ken,  Leitz 1 is best used at its focal length of 19 mm, Digitally zooming does degrade quality. Probably at 28 mm digital zoom level its quality will be about the same as iPhone image from its wide-angle lens. The absence of tele lense will be an issue if you use it quite often. Leitz camera is best for landscapes, street shooting, architecture, and group pictures.

Ather, thank you! That's what I was concerned about ...

firoze

Ather Mehboob wrote:

Ken, Leitz 1 is best used at its focal length of 19 mm, Digitally zooming does degrade quality. Probably at 28 mm digital zoom level its quality will be about the same as iPhone image from its wide-angle lens. The absence of tele lense will be an issue if you use it quite often. Leitz camera is best for landscapes, street shooting, architecture, and group pictures.

Ather, have you tried the Leitz Phone at approx 50mm digital zoom? Is the quality noticeably degraded?

firoze wrote:

Ather Mehboob wrote:

Ken, Leitz 1 is best used at its focal length of 19 mm, Digitally zooming does degrade quality. Probably at 28 mm digital zoom level its quality will be about the same as iPhone image from its wide-angle lens. The absence of tele lense will be an issue if you use it quite often. Leitz camera is best for landscapes, street shooting, architecture, and group pictures.

Ather, have you tried the Leitz Phone at approx 50mm digital zoom? Is the quality noticeably degraded?

Firoze, I won't go beyond 30 or 35mm on Leitz 1 digital zoom as quality gets degraded so much that all the benefit of a larger sensor and more megapixels is lost. I personally try to stay between the 19 mm and 24 mm range. Think of it as a nice wide super wide to a wide-angle lens.

firoze

Ather Mehboob wrote:

firoze wrote:

Firoze, I won't go beyond 30 or 35mm on Leitz 1 digital zoom as quality gets degraded so much that all the benefit of a larger sensor and more megapixels is lost. I personally try to stay between the 19 mm and 24 mm range. Think of it as a nice wide super wide to a wide-angle lens.

Thanks Ather, I too suspected approx 35mm would be the very max one could stretch the zoom to.

Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 891

In the same size, Huawei and Leica offer almost identical quality and detail level, colors are different, but it's easy to fix. Huawei no need to develop photo from RAW to get spectacular looking photos and have telephoto lens and UWA, so i don't see any reason to buy Leitz Phone 1. Iphone in this comparasion is no match for any these phones.

P40 PRO

Leica

Drzewoid wrote:

In the same size, Huawei and Leica offer almost identical quality and detail level, colors are different, but it's easy to fix. Huawei no need to develop photo from RAW to get spectacular looking photos and have telephoto lens and UWA, so i don't see any reason to buy Leitz Phone 1. Iphone in this comparasion is no match for any these phones.

P40 PRO

Leica

Resolution wise , Huawei P 40 pro's 50 MP AI image has way more resolution and detail in the image. Where Leica shines is the color gradations ( Check the shades of green, even if I saturate/adjust the Huawei image it likely won't give all these gradations/hues of green.

Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,629

For the iPhone JPEG I'd suggest using an App like Metapho to see how it was processed and mention that. For example "Deep Fusion". To save time I downloaded it and it doesn't say "Deeply Fused" (or "Night Mode", perhaps more obviously).
Also ProRaw on the iPhones is quite different to Raw on the iPhones, as it includes computational imaging data, but few programs can use that and just treat it as a standard Raw file.

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
louvre New Member • Posts: 2

Wow! Thanks for posting this. It's shocking to see how much better the Huawei phone is. The resolution and optical sharpness is out of this world. Too bad it's banned in the US. I wish Apple could deliver that kind quality. I returned my iPhone 13 Pro because the image quality in lower light conditions is worse than that of the previous generation iPhones, even on the RAW files. Especially the video quality was shockingly bad in low light, definitely worse than my older iPhone. The Huawei has everything I would want, I'd buy it in a second if it was an option.

louvre wrote:

Wow! Thanks for posting this. It's shocking to see how much better the Huawei phone is. The resolution and optical sharpness is out of this world. Too bad it's banned in the US. I wish Apple could deliver that kind quality. I returned my iPhone 13 Pro because the image quality in lower light conditions is worse than that of the previous generation iPhones, even on the RAW files. Especially the video quality was shockingly bad in low light, definitely worse than my older iPhone. The Huawei has everything I would want, I'd buy it in a second if it was an option.

Louvre, yes as much as I wanted the iphone to perform well,  it couldn't keep up with Huawei or Leitz in terms of detail and resolution ..

Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 891

Huawei was number one in global smartphone market in 2020 - Apple could not compete with huawei, so USA have to impose sanctions. Imagine how good P50 PRO could be with 1 inch IMX800 sensor with RYYB array. We all lost for that sanctions, this is sad.

Drzewoid, I don’t believe Huawei was sanctioned due to competition. Samsung is also a major competitor to Apple and they haven’t been sanctioned. There are also many other industries China competes with in the USA which aren’t sanctioned.

Drzewoid wrote:

Huawei was number one in global smartphone market in 2020 - Apple could not compete with huawei, so USA have to impose sanctions. Imagine how good P50 PRO could be with 1 inch IMX800 sensor with RYYB array. We all lost for that sanctions, this is sad.

I can only imagine how great a 1-inch type sensor with an RYYB array could have been!

JaczZ Forum Member • Posts: 96

This comparison is eye opening and wonderfully done. Always wonder how each phone compares with the other, and using the gsmarena review samples achieve that somewhat, but they are taken with different dates and lighting conditions. This is perfect - thank you!

By the way, you are really lucky to have all 3 phones to play with!

JaczZ wrote:

This comparison is eye opening and wonderfully done. Always wonder how each phone compares with the other, and using the gsmarena review samples achieve that somewhat, but they are taken with different dates and lighting conditions. This is perfect - thank you!

By the way, you are really lucky to have all 3 phones to play with!

I am glad that this comparison was helpful. I do have a collection of camera phones going back to the Nokia Lumia  1020 and Panasonic CM1. I don't like to sell my cell phones

Eddie Rizk Senior Member • Posts: 1,223

Ather Mehboob wrote:

I was curious to see the difference in. sooc jpeg vs RAW among these camera phones.

I am uploading jpeg +RAW from iPhone, Leica, and the high-resolution AI shot from Huawei + jpeg. I

feel Huawei high res gives the best resolution among these (for stationary subjects) cameras. Leica 1 inch type sensor has its own advantages when images are processed from RAW.

The focus point is the pillar on the left side.

Has Apple regressed?  I think the JPEGs from my 12 PM look clearer than that

I have to post with quotes here, from my phone , to compare.

iPhone jpeg

iPhone RAW

Leica Phone 1 jPeg (GCAM)

Leica Phone 1 RAW

Huawei P40 Pro jPeg

Huawei P40 Pro High res AI image

I do have to say that the texture in the clouds, from the OP looks better with the iPhone 13 JPEGs than with any of the others, but the 13 seems to lack clarity.

-- hide signature --

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Eddie Rizk
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Eddie Rizk Senior Member • Posts: 1,223

I think I agree with myself.  The 12 looks better than the 13.

-- hide signature --

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Eddie Rizk
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads