Best,
Mike

Mikel10's gear list:Mikel10's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro Fujifilm GF 250mm F4
Blufftonian
Blufftonian Senior Member • Posts: 1,697
Re: Sherman's Fox Squirrel. Osceola Co. FL 3 Nov 2021

Nice shots Alan.

How odd that we both posted fox squirrel shots so close to each other!

Blufftonian's gear list:Blufftonian's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +8 more
OP ATD22 Contributing Member • Posts: 720

Yes  it is.  Honestly, I had not looked at the existing postings before I posted mine. All I can say is great minds think alike.

Al

Thanks.

Blufftonian

ATD22 wrote:

…All I can say is great minds think alike.

Al

I am in complete agreement!

Interestingly your Florida variety appear to have some red color in their coats, and of course many/most of these squirrels have the reddish coats from which they get their “fox” name. Here in the Hilton Head area every one I’ve seen has been shades of black, grey and white.

Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +8 more
A c M Contributing Member • Posts: 569

Blufftonian wrote:

ATD22 wrote:

…All I can say is great minds think alike.

Al

I am in complete agreement!

Interestingly your Florida variety appear to have some red color in their coats, and of course many/most of these squirrels have the reddish coats from which they get their “fox” name. Here in the Hilton Head area every one I’ve seen has been shades of black, grey and white.

And both sets of photos taken with a Nikon D500.  Imagine that?

Interesting to see species new to me.  All we have in central Texas are Ground Squirrels and the Eastern (Red) Fox Squirrel.  I enjoyed view both sets of photos!

A c M's gear list:A c M's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
PentUp
PentUp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,578

Wonderful pictures Alan.

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +11 more

Thank you.

Thanks.  I do remember the red squirrels from my days as a teenager in West Texas.

Al

Blufftonian

A c M wrote:

Interesting to see species new to me. All we have in central Texas are Ground Squirrels and the Eastern (Red) Fox Squirrel. I enjoyed view both sets of photos!

Current thinking is that these geographic variations/subspecies of fox squirrels, like Mangrove, Sherman's, Southeastern,  Bachman's, Big Cypress, Bryant's, etc. are all the same species and should be simply classified as sciurus niger or Eastern Fox Squirrel.

Fox squirrels live in most of the eastern half of the US and into Canada although they are missing from New England.  Their coloration varies widely although western ones tend to show more red in their coats while southern ones tend more to grey and black.  There are also solid black individuals.

Blufftonian wrote:

A c M wrote:

Interesting to see species new to me. All we have in central Texas are Ground Squirrels and the Eastern (Red) Fox Squirrel. I enjoyed view both sets of photos!

Current thinking is that these geographic variations/subspecies of fox squirrels, like Mangrove, Sherman's, Southeastern, Bachman's, Big Cypress, Bryant's, etc. are all the same species and should be simply classified as sciurus niger or Eastern Fox Squirrel.

Fox squirrels live in most of the eastern half of the US and into Canada although they are missing from New England. Their coloration varies widely although western ones tend to show more red in their coats while southern ones tend more to grey and black. There are also solid black individuals.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
windoze
windoze Veteran Member • Posts: 9,565

awesome captures!  he looks so different from our squirrels.

TFS

Troy

windoze's gear list:windoze's gear list
Sony RX10 IV

A c M wrote:

Blufftonian wrote:

A c M wrote:

Current thinking is that these geographic variations/subspecies of fox squirrels, like Mangrove, Sherman's, Southeastern, Bachman's, Big Cypress, Bryant's, etc. are all the same species and should be simply classified as sciurus niger or Eastern Fox Squirrel.

Fox squirrels live in most of the eastern half of the US and into Canada although they are missing from New England. Their coloration varies widely although western ones tend to show more red in their coats while southern ones tend more to grey and black. There are also solid black individuals.

I found those photos you posted of the S.C. Fox squirrel very interesting for the distinctive black and white coloration.  I hope you didn't take an offensive since I responded to only one of the two threads I saw on Fox Squirrels.  I don't post much on here (or on any social media) and I apologize for any violations of protocol.

Blufftonian

A c M wrote:

A c M wrote:

Blufftonian wrote:

A c M wrote:

I found those photos you posted of the S.C. Fox squirrel very interesting for the distinctive black and white coloration. I hope you didn't take an offensive since I responded to only one of the two threads I saw on Fox Squirrels. I don't post much on here (or on any social media) and I apologize for any violations of protocol.

I see no “violations of protocol” or absolutely anything I, or anyone else, could possibly take offense with.

We’re all free to post as frequently, or as infrequently, as we like.

Best wishes,

Kevin.

No offence taken.  Glad you enjoyed the images.

Al

Thank you.

Thanks.  They are unique.

ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 23,070

Very nice set Alan

ANAYV