Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
JpGomez Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Re: Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

Impulses wrote:

JpGomez wrote:

Impulses wrote:

The Sony also has a shorter MFD than any of the small 3rd party 35mm alternatives (pretty much the same as the GM) and that's a useful creative advantage.

This. MFD of Sony 35/1.8 is my favorite feature. I've owned (non-macro) primes before nothing can close focuses like Sony 35. I can shoot with just this lens all day. FOV, size, speed, AF perf, & MFD makes very versatile one lens setup.

OTOH If I had dedicated macro lens, I'll likely settle with Samyang 35/1.8.

I actually just bought a dedicated macro lens (figure I might as well have one after so many years & lenses in the kit...) and I still value having a short MFD on most my wides and/or at least on one of my short teles, it's just useful for loads of different shots from food/drinks, to flowers, to other random stuff.

The macro is probably not leaving the house much outside of specific occasions where I know I'll be using it for sure... I think it might actually be my heaviest lens and it's not even a particularly heavy macro, it's also manual tho which is why I'd save it for dedicated occasions.

Valid point, macro lens are very specialized. Having short MFD on a normal lens we carry around is pretty invaluable.

-- hide signature --

The best gear is the one you have at that moment.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgomez/

JpGomez's gear list:JpGomez's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE +2 more
Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 5,876

JpGomez wrote:

Impulses wrote:

The Sony also has a shorter MFD than any of the small 3rd party 35mm alternatives (pretty much the same as the GM) and that's a useful creative advantage.

This. MFD of Sony 35/1.8 is my favorite feature. I've owned (non-macro) primes before nothing can close focuses like Sony 35.

The Tamron 35 2.8 will focus down to 15 cm (1:2) compared to the Sony 35 1.8's 22 cm, so something canfocus closer than the Sony... 

If close focusing is important, then that's the one. 2.8 aperture, size, slowish focusing and high distortion (before correction) are its minuses.

BTW, the Samyang 35 1.8 will go down to 29 cm.

Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 3,221

Rol Lei Nut wrote:

JpGomez wrote:

Impulses wrote:

This. MFD of Sony 35/1.8 is my favorite feature. I've owned (non-macro) primes before nothing can close focuses like Sony 35.

The Tamron 35 2.8 will focus down to 15 cm (1:2) compared to the Sony 35 1.8's 22 cm, so something canfocus closer than the Sony...

This is probably main reason (together with price) to get Tamron.

If close focusing is important, then that's the one. 2.8 aperture, size, slowish focusing and high distortion (before correction) are its minuses.

High distortion is not true for 35mm, only for 20 and 24mm version. See eg. opticallimits test lab, 35mm is almost distortion free.

https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1114-tamron35f28?start=1

I would also highlight great image quality, with very low aberations.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +2 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 5,777

Martin_99 wrote:

Rol Lei Nut wrote:

JpGomez wrote:

Impulses wrote:

This is probably main reason (together with price) to get Tamron.

High distortion is not true for 35mm, only for 20 and 24mm version. See eg. opticallimits test lab, 35mm is almost distortion free.

https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1114-tamron35f28?start=1

I would also highlight great image quality, with very low aberations.

The Tamron F2.8 is definitely better optically than the F1.8's and the other F2.8's at the same apertures. It is not very good at 1:2 compared to any actual macro lens, but if you just want portraits of small objects it is fine. I prefer the wider 20mm for that.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +97 more
JpGomez Contributing Member • Posts: 539

Rol Lei Nut wrote:

JpGomez wrote:

Impulses wrote:

I stand corrected, Tamron 35 2.8 can focus closer.

But I meant all the primes I've owned and currently own, FE35 close focus the most.

To add, I also have Samyang 35/2.8 to get the smallest setup I can run with. I never liked the size of Tamron 35/2.8.

Interesting.. both can actually close focus. I guess it comes down to budget and personal preference.

If I didn't own FE35, I definitely go for Samyang. Have their USB dock already.

-- hide signature --

The best gear is the one you have at that moment.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgomez/

JpGomez's gear list:JpGomez's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE +2 more
Adam Palmer Contributing Member • Posts: 867

I rented the sony for a week but bought the Samyang. No regrets.

-- hide signature --
 Adam Palmer's gear list:Adam Palmer's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Sony a7R III Sony a1 Sony a7 IV +17 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Forum Pro • Posts: 10,334

brick33308 wrote:

I've narrowed down my choices for a 35mm lens to use for street work with the A7iv I've got on order. Does anyone have an opinion why I should get the Sony over the Samyang?

I spent a lot of time recently looking at 35mm lenses.  Ended up with an adapted Tamron 35/1.4 for landscape (a whale) and a Samyang 35/1.8 for the small light prime.  For stills and non-action shots, there is little to choose between the Samyang and Sony, maybe even comes down to copy variation.  I have an average copy of the Samyang and Rol has a golden one.  I’m quite happy.

If I had been buying only one 35mm for something like street, I’d take the Sigma 35/2 every time.  It’s optically better than the other two, both of which have LoCA wide open.

deednets posted a lot of shots with a Sigma 35/2 recently - have a look at those.

I have a folder of test shots with my Samyang, if that might help.  An A7R4 is pretty punishing as a lens test, if you like peeping.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +30 more
newdom Regular Member • Posts: 455

brick33308 wrote:

I've narrowed down my choices for a 35mm lens to use for street work with the A7iv I've got on order. Does anyone have an opinion why I should get the Sony over the Samyang?

I've had both of these lenses at the same time for comparison. TBH they're very similar lenses, given very similar performance, with slight pros and cons over each other.

___

Sony:

+ Good MFD - 22cm/0.24x

+ Very little focus breathing, great for video

+ Better AF on older bodies (I have an A7Rii, I got more keepers with the Sony)

- Expensive

- Build quality OK, not G quality

- Sharpness OK but not great

___

Samyang:

+ Cheap

+ Lighter, Smaller (63m vs 73cm, 210g vs 281g)

+ More complex lens construction, should be better corrected (Aspherical: 2 vs 1, Low Dispersion: 2 vs 0)

+ Super sharp, IF you get a good copy

+ AF still very good for a 3rd party lens

+ Useful programmable switch, so you can turn manual focus ring into aperture ring

+ Shares filter size with rest of tiny range

- Meh build quality. Feels cheap but think this is deliberate design for lightness

- Copy variation. Samyang is notorious for high copy variation, although they're getting better this still suffers to a lesser degree. I've had two copies - one was incredibly sharp with zero CA/fringing, second was noticeably less sharp with lots of fringing. Got a third on the way!

___

I don't think you can go wrong with either, they're both great small, light f1.8 'general purpose' lenses. For my eyes the Samyang is much better value for money and is better optically (if you get a good copy), whereas the Sony has a bit better AF, more useful MFD and no focus breathing if you're into video.

newdom's gear list:newdom's gear list
Sony a7R II Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +8 more
pollup Senior Member • Posts: 1,304

brick33308 wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

Not so much speed as accuracy. Comparing some test images where I used AF-S the Samyang's focus was off in a few. The very low amount of breathing on the Sony also makes focusing look better.

I don't follow. Isn't accuracy a function of the AF function of the camera? The lens simply needs to quickly move to the focus point determined by the camera I would think. Is that incorrect?

It's correct.

But it's not simple, that's the thing, one lens might take more time to do that than another. Or it might not be as precise as another lens, there is always some error associated with this.

Examples:

- say if the camera tells the lens: focus at 0.305 meters, and the lens does 0.304, well that's a small error, it could matter sometimes.

- the lens might focus to 0.300 quickly, and then take a long time to reach the 0.305. It's really down to the motors and the algorithms inside the lens.

pollup's gear list:pollup's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Canon EOS 550D +6 more
brick33308
OP brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,245

newdom wrote:

- Copy variation. Samyang is notorious for high copy variation, although they're getting better this still suffers to a lesser degree. I've had two copies - one was incredibly sharp with zero CA/fringing, second was noticeably less sharp with lots of fringing. Got a third on the way!

thanks! the copy variations you mention - was it this 35/1.8 lens specifically?

newdom Regular Member • Posts: 455

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

Samyang in general

Apparently the older lenses even if good tended to go out of alignment much faster than higher quality sony/zeiss/sigma lenses, and there was a significant copy variation from new as well.  Sony and Zeiss all suffer from this anyway to varying degrees - some significant - but for sure they were better built than the Samyangs of old.  Recent Samyangs appear to getting better and better.  I've had 2x35/1.8, 1x75/1.8, 1x24/1.8, 1x85/1.4 and they were all superbly sharp except for one copy of the 35 (which had physical damage, so good chance it had been dropped/knocked in it's lifetime).

newdom's gear list:newdom's gear list
Sony a7R II Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +8 more
brick33308

newdom wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

Samyang in general

Apparently the older lenses even if good tended to go out of alignment much faster than higher quality sony/zeiss/sigma lenses, and there was a significant copy variation from new as well. Sony and Zeiss all suffer from this anyway to varying degrees - some significant - but for sure they were better built than the Samyangs of old. Recent Samyangs appear to getting better and better. I've had 2x35/1.8, 1x75/1.8, 1x24/1.8, 1x85/1.4 and they were all superbly sharp except for one copy of the 35 (which had physical damage, so good chance it had been dropped/knocked in it's lifetime).

I think I got excited and made a mistake. I pulled the trigger on the Samyang 351.8 even though the new A7iv won't arrive until first couple of weeks of January, and by that time my return period to B&H will have expired. Not sure what I should do if there's a decent chance I won't get a good copy.

ahaslett

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

Samyang in general

Apparently the older lenses even if good tended to go out of alignment much faster than higher quality sony/zeiss/sigma lenses, and there was a significant copy variation from new as well. Sony and Zeiss all suffer from this anyway to varying degrees - some significant - but for sure they were better built than the Samyangs of old. Recent Samyangs appear to getting better and better. I've had 2x35/1.8, 1x75/1.8, 1x24/1.8, 1x85/1.4 and they were all superbly sharp except for one copy of the 35 (which had physical damage, so good chance it had been dropped/knocked in it's lifetime).

I think I got excited and made a mistake. I pulled the trigger on the Samyang 351.8 even though the new A7iv won't arrive until first couple of weeks of January, and by that time my return period to B&H will have expired. Not sure what I should do if there's a decent chance I won't get a good copy.

I'd try and borrow an FE mount body to test the lens.  Maybe another member lives close enough.  Afraid I live in the UK.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +30 more
Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,432

brick33308 wrote:

My reason to get the Sony is focus speed and accuracy. So wonderful when the images are in focus (better auto focus = more well focused images).

Has three Samyang lenses. Two got kicked out of alignment after slight bumps. Initially pretty good but no longer so. The third one is treated as carefully as a newborn baby.

Adam Palmer Contributing Member • Posts: 867

newdom wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

I've had both of these lenses at the same time for comparison. TBH they're very similar lenses, given very similar performance, with slight pros and cons over each other.

___

Sony:

+ Good MFD - 22cm/0.24x

- Expensive

___

Samyang:

+ Cheap

+ More complex lens construction, should be better corrected (Aspherical: 2 vs 1, Low Dispersion: 2 vs 0)

+ Useful programmable switch, so you can turn manual focus ring into aperture ring

- Meh build quality. Feels cheap but think this is deliberate design for lightness

___

I don't think you can go wrong with either, they're both great small, light f1.8 'general purpose' lenses. For my eyes the Samyang is much better value for money and is better optically (if you get a good copy), whereas the Sony has a bit better AF, more useful MFD and no focus breathing if you're into video.

I think I got a good one because mine is really good too.

-- hide signature --
 Adam Palmer's gear list:Adam Palmer's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Sony a7R III Sony a1 Sony a7 IV +17 more
ahaslett

Adam Palmer wrote:

newdom wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

___

Sony:

+ Good MFD - 22cm/0.24x

- Expensive

___

Samyang:

+ Cheap

___

I think I got a good one because mine is really good too.

Mine matches the less good review copies.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

brick33308

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

Samyang in general

Update: spoke to B&W and I have until end of January to return the lens if I don't like it. Hopefully I'll have the A7iv by then, test the lens and be happy with it.

Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 8,993

brick33308 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

Samyang in general

Update: spoke to B&W and I have until end of January to return the lens if I don't like it. Hopefully I'll have the A7iv by then, test the lens and be happy with it.

Yeah B&H, Adorama, and Amazon all do extended return periods this time of year, good luck with your A7 IV wait! I suppose you could always return it closer to the end of the window if there's still no signs of the body shipping, Google the upside down or four corner tests for some easier/quicker tests than brick wall hunting.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +28 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 8,993

Tristimulus wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

My reason to get the Sony is focus speed and accuracy. So wonderful when the images are in focus (better auto focus = more well focused images).

Has three Samyang lenses. Two got kicked out of alignment after slight bumps. Initially pretty good but no longer so. The third one is treated as carefully as a newborn baby.

Which three were that? Just curious if they were amongst their order or newer stuff...

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +28 more
Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,432

Impulses wrote:

Tristimulus wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Which three were that? Just curious if they were amongst their order or newer stuff...

None of the later Samyang lenses.

Samyang do improve at a slow pace, prices increase too.

Do not forget that early on photographers choose Leica cameras becausw they were cheap. Do not know where Samyang will go, but would personally be a bit catious now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads