When will we be able to autofocus screwdriver lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,493
When will we be able to autofocus screwdriver lenses?

The FTZ II came out, but much to my disappointment, it still can't autofocus a Nikon AF or AF-D "screwdriver" lens.

Sony's LA-EA5 adapter has a motor for focusing their screwdriver A mount lenses on E bodies, in addition to a motor for the aperture. They did that, but still beat Nikon on weight, size, and price.

If I stick that on a Techart Sony E to Nikon Z adapter, I can autofocus screwdriver Sony (and Minolta) A mount lenses on my Z.

Techart and Megadapt have adapters with autofocus motors for Leica M lenses, so I can autofocus those on the Z, too.

The only lenses I own that I can't autofocus are my AF and AF-D Nikkors.

Come on, Nikon, give us an FTZ equivalent of a Sony LA-EA5. Pretty please.

(OK, rant over)

-- hide signature --

Christine Fleischer 1947-2014.
My soulmate. There are no other words.
-----
Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
----
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 Nikon Z7 +48 more
ANSWER:
Vince P
Vince P Senior Member • Posts: 2,333
Re: When will we be able to autofocus screwdriver lenses?

Isn't the issue that the Sony has a lot more room to play with as it has such a small lens mount and is actually stepping up to the Minolta mount.

Vince P's gear list:Vince P's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Panasonic GH5S Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 +79 more
DanishMacro Regular Member • Posts: 186

With the reveal of the FTZ II, we have further indication that this is Nikons strategy - probably to push users to buy new lenses.

There could be a technical reason, that would either make it impossible, or very expensive to make an adapter that is screwdrive compatible.

DanishMacro's gear list:DanishMacro's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron 70-210mm F4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +7 more
OP Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,493
It's not an issue of space

Vince P wrote:

Isn't the issue that the Sony has a lot more room to play with as it has such a small lens mount and is actually stepping up to the Minolta mount.

No, that's not really the issue. The optical path is rectangular, the space above and below the rectangle on the giant Z mount is huge. There aren't any f/0.95 lenses to avoid occluding. I don't recall there even being any f1.2 AF Nikkors.

-- hide signature --

-----
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
----
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

OP Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,493
There are no technical reasons

DanishMacro wrote:

With the reveal of the FTZ II, we have further indication that this is Nikons strategy - probably to push users to buy new lenses.

That's my bet.

There could be a technical reason, that would either make it impossible, or very expensive to make an adapter that is screwdrive compatible.

There aren't really any reasons. Sony did it with minimal diameter increase, managed to avoid lumps like the one Nikon has for their aperture motor, came in considerably lighter, and beat Nikon on cost.

If Sony is beating you on cost, you are doing something wrong.

-- hide signature --

-----
----
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

CliveTJ Regular Member • Posts: 419

If it’s a great commercial proposition a 3rd party will do it.

CliveTJ's gear list:CliveTJ's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-24mm F2.8 +5 more
kamerakiri Regular Member • Posts: 271

"When will we be able to auto focus screwdriver lenses?"

Perhaps never. Nikon does not intend to make any such adapter right now.

syberman7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,487

The screwdriver AF system is from the Cambrian epoch, or maybe older. Its noisy, sloppy, imprecise, slow, from another era. Best to use such a system on a camera and lens of the same era so that all the expectations align.

syberman7's gear list:syberman7's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Z6User
Z6User Contributing Member • Posts: 694

syberman7 wrote:

The screwdriver AF system is from the Cambrian epoch, or maybe older. Its noisy, sloppy, imprecise, slow, from another era. Best to use such a system on a camera of the same era so that all the expectations align.

No. There are plenty of situations where AF is helpful, and speed is not necessary. For portraits or interior photography for example, you don’t need acquisition speed, but AF is so much easier than manual focus, especially in dim lighting.

Incidentally the Sony adapter is about the same price as the FTZ, in the UK anyway.

Z6User's gear list:Z6User's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +3 more
Droster Senior Member • Posts: 1,705

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

The FTZ II came out, but much to my disappointment, it still can't autofocus a Nikon AF or AF-D "screwdriver" lens.

Sony's LA-EA5 adapter has a motor for focusing their screwdriver A mount lenses on E bodies, in addition to a motor for the aperture. They did that, but still beat Nikon on weight, size, and price.

If I stick that on a Techart Sony E to Nikon Z adapter, I can autofocus screwdriver Sony (and Minolta) A mount lenses on my Z.

Techart and Megadapt have adapters with autofocus motors for Leica M lenses, so I can autofocus those on the Z, too.

(OK, rant over)

The a7 was released in 2013 and the LA-EA5 is 2020. That's a seven year gap

So to answer your question.. four years later?

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 +9 more
DanishMacro Regular Member • Posts: 186
Re: There are no technical reasons

There aren't really any reasons. Sony did it with minimal diameter increase, managed to avoid lumps like the one Nikon has for their aperture motor, came in considerably lighter, and beat Nikon on cost.

If Sony is beating you on cost, you are doing something wrong.

It always seemed to me, that the pricepoint of the FTZ was aimed to:

1) Increase the percieved value of the different kits that include it.

2) Push people to buy new lenses instead: The price of an FTZ is half of what a new Nikon Z 50mm 1.8 S in my location.

The profit margin on that thing bought separately is probably pretty insane.

Sony's strategy seems different: Their mount is open to third parties, Nikon's is not. It makes sense that Sony would go further in compatability support.

DanishMacro's gear list:DanishMacro's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron 70-210mm F4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +7 more
syberman7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,487

Z6User wrote:

syberman7 wrote:

The screwdriver AF system is from the Cambrian epoch, or maybe older. Its noisy, sloppy, imprecise, slow, from another era. Best to use such a system on a camera of the same era so that all the expectations align.

No. There are plenty of situations where AF is helpful, and speed is not necessary.

But the screwdriver AF will not get you precise focus. Its not just about speed. I even saw a video in the last few days where someone complained about the D6 with AFS lens not getting precise focus on the eye. D lenses are even less predictable. The focus protocol for D lenses is to drive the focus motor rapidly to approximate focus. And don't take my word for it. Search and read Bobn2 on F mount AF protocols.

For portraits or interior photography for example, you don’t need acquisition speed, but AF is so much easier than manual focus, especially in dim lighting.

Incidentally the Sony adapter is about the same price as the FTZ, in the UK anyway.

syberman7's gear list:syberman7's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
MCLV Regular Member • Posts: 481

DanishMacro wrote:

I think that it's a business decision. Either they simply don't want to release it in order to push people into newer lenses. Or they found out that it wouldn't work well with their current AF algorithms and they don't want to release a product with limited functionality. Or they found out that they would be able to get it working but it would result in an overhaul of AF algorithms and the total effort is not worth it.

I guess that screwdriver AF is not as precise and might not like frequent incremental updates of position. If current Z AF system depends on this approach, Nikon would need to develop and maintain a separate AF system for screwdriver lenses. And they might not wanted to introduce such an old legacy burden into their new system

cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 6,443

You need to realise there are a huge number of caveat's with this item . It will only AF certain screw lenses and not at max frame rate  perhaps 10fps and is dependant on each lens as to the differences and only works on a few of the later bodies. the FTZ works with all lenses that have a focussing motor and all bodies, on the Z9 these work at 120fps

Have you actually tried that. Do you have any A mount Sony lenses.

(OK, rant over)

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,999

I doubt Nikon is going to do this. They want to sell new lenses - where is the financial incentive?

I think the only way this is ever going to happen is if a third party such as Techart create one. They are about to release a Contax G to Nikon Z AF adapter which implements a screwdrive AF system.

Maybe if there is enough interest they will create one for Nikon screwdrive AF lenses - who knows, start a campaign. I am sure there is more interest in bringing AF to old NIkon lenses than Contax G lenses.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Nikon Z6 Sony a6400 Sony a7C Sony a7 IV Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +18 more
MCLV Regular Member • Posts: 481
Lose-lose situation for Nikon?

What if Nikon has two choices?

1. Receive customer complaints for not providing such adapter
  2. Invest effort and money in such adapter and still receive customer complaints due to its performance

I think that as long as the adapter would have "Nikon" written on it, people's expectation would be that it works well.

In my opinion, the chances that Nikon will release it are getting smaller with each passing month and each announced Z lens. Maybe it can happen once Nikon engineers get bored and it could be introduced at some F mount anniversary.

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 5,763

Hi,

The incentive? They will not sell me a Z body without one. I have too many AF prime lenses to replace. No way I am doing that. And I'm not going to manually focus an AF lens. Their focusing rate is way too fast for that. That's what the manual focus primes are for.

I'd even accept it if it requires central focusing point only. That's how I've used my AF lenses all along anyway. The F4 only had the one point. And the F5 and D1 series only had five.

And, I am not alone when it comes to not buying a Z body for this reason. Nikon sold me on always having backwards compatibility with regards to lens systems. That had me buying into the F4 when it was new. And I require that they stick to that. Or else no more money from me.

Not that this has seemed to occur to Nikon Imaging. And since I spend far more on the industrial side of Nikon than the imaging side, not much of a difference to their corporate bottom line.

There is one Z they might one day come out with that I'd buy regardless of AF lens support. That's a Z based S. But I'm not holding my breath. And , if they should retro revisit the S, and they don't have an S mount adapter, someone else will surely make one. Or I'll do it myself.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Pentax 645D Nikon Df +21 more
z2122
z2122 Senior Member • Posts: 1,802

I think this will not happen -  Nikon have to look forward and they are not willing to compromise their Z lenses sales by enabling screwdriver lenses to the Z system.

There are DSLRs like the D750 that you can get cheap...

-- hide signature --

catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +9 more
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 6,642

syberman7 wrote:

Z6User wrote:

syberman7 wrote:

No. There are plenty of situations where AF is helpful, and speed is not necessary.

But the screwdriver AF will not get you precise focus. Its not just about speed. I even saw a video in the last few days where someone complained about the D6 with AFS lens not getting precise focus on the eye. D lenses are even less predictable. The focus protocol for D lenses is to drive the focus motor rapidly to approximate focus. And don't take my word for it. Search and read Bobn2 on F mount AF protocols.

For portraits or interior photography for example, you don’t need acquisition speed, but AF is so much easier than manual focus, especially in dim lighting.

All those weddings I've shot with the 85mm 1.4D nailing focus on the eye every time eh. So imprecise...Keep talking...I've used the 85mm 1.4G and found it no more accurate than the D and the focus transitions not as nice / nor it's bokeh.

primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 6,642

inasir1971 wrote:

I doubt Nikon is going to do this. They want to sell new lenses - where is the financial incentive?

Lock current f mount DSLR shooters into the Z mount system - sell them a body, don't give them a reason to go anywhere else, etc.

I think the only way this is ever going to happen is if a third party such as Techart create one. They are about to release a Contax G to Nikon Z AF adapter which implements a screwdrive AF system.

Maybe if there is enough interest they will create one for Nikon screwdrive AF lenses - who knows, start a campaign. I am sure there is more interest in bringing AF to old NIkon lenses than Contax G lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads