Throwback to the original Alpha camera - Sony A100

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Snapppy
Snapppy New Member • Posts: 10
Throwback to the original Alpha camera - Sony A100

Hey all,

Dropping by to say I made a video today recapping (briefly) the history of the Sony A100, sharing some pics, and talking about my experiences with it.

I own two that I bought a few months ago. An IR converted one and regular. I own a few Minolta lenses for them. 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7, 24-105 and 70-210 3.5-4.5. The primes are the best. I'm amazed at what lenses you can get and for how cheap.

All-around a very cool camera and neat piece of history - also performs beautifully!

Let me know your thoughts and what you're shooting with. If there are any A-mount lenses I need to try out that aren't too expensive.

Nikon Coolpix A100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441
Re: Throwback to the original Alpha camera - Sony A100

FYI: the original Alpha camera was the Minolta A-7000. The A100 was just Sony's first Alpha camera.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +93 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 16,319

QuietOC wrote:

FYI: the original Alpha camera was the Minolta A-7000. The A100 was just Sony's first Alpha camera.

Yes.

Called Maxxum 7000 in the US and AF 7000 in other markets, the Japanese name for it was α 7000.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,270

Thanks for posting. Nice video and narration.  I'm not a lawyer or engineer, unfortunately.

Renato1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,382

Thanks, I enjoyed the video.

The only thing I didn't like about the Sony A100 was its pop-up flash. Pictures I took using it were not as good as with the predecessor Konica Minolta 5D, as it very often didn't get exposure right.

I also recollect complaints here that the A100 didn't have the Minolta colours present in the earlier two DSLRs and Minolta's numerous bridge cameras.

And I also remember positive comments back then

a.  that it didn't have the First Frame Black problem of the earlier two KM cameras so that one didn't have to worry about it dying, and

b.  from memory - that it didn't have an anti-aliasing filter, thus giving it amongst the sharpest pictures at the time.

Regards,

Renato

Tjaika Regular Member • Posts: 272

Nice video.  I kept my old A100.  The A99II is on service and I should take some fall-color pictures with the A100 I guess.

I remember Nordstjernen had a thread called "the noise loving thread" or so.  The a100 had noise, but it was pleasant and filmlike.

Tjaika's gear list:Tjaika's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +9 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 52,718

My first ICL digital camera was an A100. I produced great photos as long as you kept the ISO below 800. By ISO 800 the noise was blotchy and unpleasant to look at.

But in good light the colors did pop.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
felix from the suburbs
felix from the suburbs Senior Member • Posts: 1,511

Thanks for the video. Brought back a few memories as the A100 was my first DSLR.  For me, it was a nice landscape camera. I used it for a few years but, in my case, due anything over ISO 400 being problematic and an inconsistent flash exposure,  I eventually traded it in. Sometimes I think I should have kept it, but the reality is that it would likely never be used by me again. Better that it went to a good home.

felix from the suburbs's gear list:felix from the suburbs's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Canon PowerShot SX710 Nikon D90 Sony Alpha DSLR-A500 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads