Any real-world feedback on the Lumix Vario 45-200mm v.II?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
MiguelATF
MiguelATF Regular Member • Posts: 459
Any real-world feedback on the Lumix Vario 45-200mm v.II?

I know that the first version (v.I, which originally was introduced in 2010) of this lens generally didn't get great responses, from many users and a few reviewers. The 2nd version (v.II) of the lens came out in late 2017 and, supposedly, had identical components - but a theoretically much improved O.I.S. system (Power OIS vs. the earlier Mega OIS), which allowed users of a number of newer Lumix bodies to make use of Panasonic's 'Dual OIS' system (combining both the lens's OIS + the camera's built-in IBIS, in a way that the earlier Mega OIS equipped lenses were unable to).

I'm wondering if anyone who's actually used or shot with the newer version of this lens - coupled with one of the newer Lumix bodies - could share their 'real-world' impressions of the lens?

Both Panasonic and Olympus have a history of occasionally producing some 'kit' or less expensive 'consumer' lenses which punch far above their weight, metaphorically speaking; I'm wondering if, in its 2nd iteration, how this lens has fared among the relatively small number of photographers who have actually used it?

-- hide signature --

"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed."
~Garry Winogrand~
Ipernity: http://www.ipernity.com/home/1647950
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/migueltejadaflores/
Blog: http://migueltejadaflores.wordpress.com

MiguelATF's gear list:MiguelATF's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Olympus PEN E-P5 +11 more
Allan Brown
Allan Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,113
Re: Any real-world feedback on the Lumix Vario 45-200mm v.II?

MiguelATF wrote:

I know that the first version (v.I, which originally was introduced in 2010) of this lens generally didn't get great responses, from many users and a few reviewers.

I have the original version of this lens and find it to be quite good.

Most of the people here and, some reviewers, tested this lens when it first became available and with the original OIS.

This OIS and the subsequent firmware update for the OIS was not good enough for the lens at 200mm. This, plus that camera bodies of the time did not have IBIS or had the primitive 2 axis IBIS, did not help at all. This is why many say that the lens is very soft above 150mm and useless at 200mm.

When you pair this lens with a camera with 5 axis IBIS - in my case, the Oly EM5 II, the results are very good.

I have pointed this out many times but it falls on deaf ears and people do not want to know.

Here is a photo that I have posted several times. It is an OOC JPEG at 200mm wide open at f5.6. Look at the grass at the back - very sharp across the frame.

Had I shot raw and processed in DXO, the results would be even better.

So, to answer your question, the improved OIS of the newer version should work very well with the compatible Panasonic bodies. The lens will be almost as good with the 5 axis IBIS Olympus bodies as in my case.

Allan

Panny 45-200 MkI 200mm @ f5.6 wide open, OOC jpeg

MiguelATF
OP MiguelATF Regular Member • Posts: 459

Allan Brown wrote:

MiguelATF wrote:

I know that the first version (v.I, which originally was introduced in 2010) of this lens generally didn't get great responses, from many users and a few reviewers.

Most of the people here and, some reviewers, tested this lens when it first became available and with the original OIS.

This OIS and the subsequent firmware update for the OIS was not good enough for the lens at 200mm. This, plus that camera bodies of the time did not have IBIS or had the primitive 2 axis IBIS, did not help at all. This is why many say that the lens is very soft above 150mm and useless at 200mm.

When you pair this lens with a camera with 5 axis IBIS - in my case, the Oly EM5 II, the results are very good.

I have pointed this out many times but it falls on deaf ears and people do not want to know.

Here is a photo that I have posted several times. It is an OOC JPEG at 200mm wide open at f5.6. Look at the grass at the back - very sharp across the frame.

Had I shot raw and processed in DXO, the results would be even better.

So, to answer your question, the improved OIS of the newer version should work very well with the compatible Panasonic bodies. The lens will be almost as good with the 5 axis IBIS Olympus bodies as in my case.

Allan

Panny 45-200 MkI 200mm @ f5.6 wide open, OOC jpeg

Good points, Allan. Thanks for your reply.

And your sample (motocross) photo is quite cool - and, for me at least, a good argument in favour of the lens.

-- hide signature --

~Garry Winogrand~

Fujifilm X30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Olympus PEN E-P5 +11 more
Isabel Cutler
Isabel Cutler Forum Pro • Posts: 18,833
Re: I have version 1....

...and I want to thank you for mentioning it.  It hasn't been on either my Panasonic or Olympus body for a few years, but I just realized using it might be like a weight vacation from the Panasonic 100-400!

It was the second micro43 lens I bought for my EPL1 many years ago and I generally liked it.  I felt it wasn't as bad as many people had said.

Having the 200 (actually 400) mm reach is nice.  The Panasonic 35-100 is an excellent lens and I can crop severely with that and still get detail!

Here's a shot I just got in harsh afternoon light through my double paned window. I don't think it's bad at all. I shot in shutter priority.  ISO 1600 is the ISO beyond which I don't like to go with this camera if I want to retain feather detail.

Isabel

-- hide signature --

"If you're not prepared to be wrong you'll never come up with anything original" Sir Ken Robinson
http://www.pBase.com/isabel95
https://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/

Isabel Cutler's gear list:Isabel Cutler's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 7D Sony a7 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +2 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,287

MiguelATF wrote:

I know that the first version (v.I, which originally was introduced in 2010) of this lens generally didn't get great responses, from many users and a few reviewers. The 2nd version (v.II) of the lens came out in late 2017 and, supposedly, had identical components - but a theoretically much improved O.I.S. system (Power OIS vs. the earlier Mega OIS), which allowed users of a number of newer Lumix bodies to make use of Panasonic's 'Dual OIS' system (combining both the lens's OIS + the camera's built-in IBIS, in a way that the earlier Mega OIS equipped lenses were unable to).

Dual IS has nothing to do with Power OIS or Mega OIS. It is solely depending on whether Panny would like to replace the existing model, or would allow DUAL IS through firmware.

Around similar time Panny released 14~42PZ and 45~175PZ, both are Power OIS lenses. When DUAL was introduced, Panny had a plan to give DUAL IS to both lenses by firmware update. 45~175PZ had received its update a few years ago but nothing for 14~42PZ yet.

The cheapy 45~150 is a Mega OIS lens, through a firmware update among the earliest batch of DUAL IS updates, it is now DUAL IS 2 compatible lens.

The premium class 12,~35 f/2.8 is a DUAL IS compatible lens, but Panny rolled out the mk-Ii for DUAL IS 2.

Therefore, it is just the lens road map of Panny, nothing to do with Mega or Power OIS.

I'm wondering if anyone who's actually used or shot with the newer version of this lens - coupled with one of the newer Lumix bodies - could share their 'real-world' impressions of the lens?

I have mk-I for 11 years, never happy with its IQ. Since the optical formula of mk-II is the same as mk-I, no interest to follow its upgrading just for DUAL IS.

Been advised to shoot mk-I at f/7.1 or slower for the best sharpness, yes but still not good as the cheaper 45~150. The beauty of 45-150 is not only it is DUAL IS, cheaper, smaller but also can capture sharp image on wide open. f/5.6 vs f/7.1~f/8 is a different game.

TBH, on the long end, 14~140 f/3.5-5.6 (I use the mk-I) indeed is the best of these 3 @140/150 range.

Both Panasonic and Olympus have a history of occasionally producing some 'kit' or less expensive 'consumer' lenses which punch far above their weight, metaphorically speaking; I'm wondering if, in its 2nd iteration, how this lens has fared among the relatively small number of photographers who have actually used it?

If you can do with 140/150/175, I would put this lens to the last of your list.

-- hide signature --

~Garry Winogrand~

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download my image and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic G85 +11 more
tpani
tpani Regular Member • Posts: 322

There is likely variation in the quality of the 45-200mm, and the image stabilization does not at all explain many/most of the complaints people have had about this lens.

I had the lens for a number of years, from 2010 until about 2014. At 200 mm, stopping down to f/8 or f/9 (at the cost of increased exposure times, and increased camera shake) improved the sharpness enough for me to be satisfied. I avoided shooting it wide open at 200mm. So, clearly, the question in my case was not about image stabilization. (I eventually replaced the 45-200mm by the 35-100mm f/4-5.6 (which is very sharp, one of the best non-expensive m43 lenses I know), and the 75-300mm (which is much better wide open at the longest focal length than my 45-200mm was, and better wide open than the 45-200mm stopped down to f/8 or f/9.)

tpani's gear list:tpani's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +10 more
Firmware Regular Member • Posts: 420

MiguelATF wrote:

I can only comment on the Mk1, though I undestand the Mk2 is the same plus weather sealing and a new paint job.

I was never that impressed (a Leica it is not) but, for a lens for travel that costs very little (essentially free in a deal I got) and is light, it's not bad at all.

This is as good as I've been able to get with the lens in terms of sharpnes; my technique might not be the best, however. I also don't know how much sample varaition exists.

it always seemed sharper at the wider end to me but might just have been my version.

Panasonic 45-200, 1/500, f5.6 @ 200mm

Panasonic 45-200,  1/250, f5.0, 45mm.

Allan Brown

tpani wrote:

There is likely variation in the quality of the 45-200mm, and the image stabilization does not at all explain many/most of the complaints people have had about this lens.

I had the lens for a number of years, from 2010 until about 2014. At 200 mm, stopping down to f/8 or f/9 (at the cost of increased exposure times, and increased camera shake) improved the sharpness enough for me to be satisfied. I avoided shooting it wide open at 200mm. So, clearly, the question in my case was not about image stabilization. (I eventually replaced the 45-200mm by the 35-100mm f/4-5.6 (which is very sharp, one of the best non-expensive m43 lenses I know), and the 75-300mm (which is much better wide open at the longest focal length than my 45-200mm was, and better wide open than the 45-200mm stopped down to f/8 or f/9.)

Well, perhaps there is some variation in the IQ of the lens but that is true of many lenses - even the Leica branded ones.

My copy of the 45-200 also improves slightly as I stop down but I get sharp images when wide open at 200mm on a regular basis.

I still say that stabilization is the main cause of softness. The few reports that I have seen for the MkII version say that it is sharp. The only real difference between the two versions is the OIS, since the glass is the same,

I also have the 35-100 f4-5.6. It is very sharp and very good IQ but it does not go to 200mm. This is a point that many miss - all the other suggestions for lenses that are supposedly better than the 45-200, none of them have that range. If you want that range, which is very useful, there aren't many choices and, all of them are very expensive.

If only Panasonic would make a f4-5.6 version of the 50-200 lens.

Allan

Allan Brown

Firmware wrote:

MiguelATF wrote:

I can only comment on the Mk1, though I undestand the Mk2 is the same plus weather sealing and a new paint job.

I was never that impressed (a Leica it is not) but, for a lens for travel that costs very little (essentially free in a deal I got) and is light, it's not bad at all.

This is as good as I've been able to get with the lens in terms of sharpnes; my technique might not be the best, however. I also don't know how much sample varaition exists.

it always seemed sharper at the wider end to me but might just have been my version.

Panasonic 45-200, 1/250, f5.0, 45mm.

The images are quite sharp, however, the first one at 200mm is spoilt a bit by the thin DOF. Also, the focus point is on the front legs and not the face. I expect you did not have a chance for a second shot with that guy.

Yes, the lens is sharper at the wide end.

What software did you use to process them? I get far better results from DXO PL4 compared to Lightroom.

Allan

Allan Brown wrote:

Firmware wrote:

MiguelATF wrote:

Panasonic 45-200, 1/250, f5.0, 45mm.

The images are quite sharp, however, the first one at 200mm is spoilt a bit by the thin DOF. Also, the focus point is on the front legs and not the face.

I never seemed to get anything sharper at 200mm - even looking at where it is focussed.

I hadn't actually planned to be where I was for photography and this was a chance opportunity with a couple of 'kit' lenses and an well-worn GX8 that I usually carried most places. I never really liked using that lens at maximum length and pretty much everything else I have image-wise is below 150mm.

I expect you did not have a chance for a second shot with that guy.

Indeed, he appeared over the rise at a fair clip and seemd to have a bit of a pupose about him....

Yes, the lens is sharper at the wide end.

What software did you use to process them? I get far better results from DXO PL4 compared to Lightroom.

DXO PL5 Elite.

Allan

MiguelATF

To REFOCUS this thread a little - and I am the OP (Original Poster) - while I appreciate the many comments, both positive and critical, about the original Mk.1 version of the lens, nonetheless I still really hope to elicit feedback or comments from folks who may have actually used the NEWER VERSION (v.II) of this lens.

Apart from a very small handful of professional reviews, there have been almost no detailed user accounts of it, over the past few years since Mk II was released.

If anyone out there has a 2nd generation copy - or has access to one - it would be great to hear some impressions

-- hide signature --

~Garry Winogrand~

Robbob67 Contributing Member • Posts: 640

MiguelATF wrote:

To REFOCUS this thread a little - and I am the OP (Original Poster) - while I appreciate the many comments, both positive and critical, about the original Mk.1 version of the lens, nonetheless I still really hope to elicit feedback or comments from folks who may have actually used the NEWER VERSION (v.II) of this lens.

Apart from a very small handful of professional reviews, there have been almost no detailed user accounts of it, over the past few years since Mk II was released.

If anyone out there has a 2nd generation copy - or has access to one - it would be great to hear some impressions

I would also be interested to hear about it. It is on my shopping list as my first choice for a tele zoom.
I know the 45-150 delivers reasonable results, but the extra 50mm would come in useful.

Robbob67's gear list:Robbob67's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,317
Legendary original Panasonic 45-200mm

Allan Brown wrote:

You are not the first one to come to appreciate the legendary original Panasonic 45-200mm.

Here are 2 photographers who write about the Panasonic 45-200mm a few years ago. The first one initially thought it wasn't good, but then discovered problems with his technique in using the lens. After that he was much more satisfied with the results.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/01/raised-expectations.html

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/08/zooms-vs-primes.html

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 7,242
Re: Legendary original Panasonic 45-200mm

Henry Richardson wrote:

Allan Brown wrote:

You are not the first one to come to appreciate the legendary original Panasonic 45-200mm.

Here are 2 photographers who write about the Panasonic 45-200mm a few years ago. The first one initially thought it wasn't good, but then discovered problems with his technique in using the lens. After that he was much more satisfied with the results.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/01/raised-expectations.html

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/08/zooms-vs-primes.html

Also it's important to note that the early m43 cameras had neither electronic shutter nor anti-shock.

H'mm, I must test mine again - after a 11 year hiatus with it. !!!

My original tests with the Panasonic G1 attached always produced VERY soft results anywhere near the 200mm mark - even when on a sturdy tripod.

The other problem with it was that it took a few milliseconds for the OIS in the lens to settle. So if you moved it very quickly and didn't pause briefly before hitting the shutter, you could at times get some strange optical results. Again please note my tests were all done with the original G1.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +1 more
MiguelATF
Re: Legendary original Panasonic 45-200mm

Henry Richardson wrote:

Allan Brown wrote:

Thank you for posting these two links, Henry.  The two people who wrote them both happen to be brilliant and thoughtful photographers. Carl Weese is someone whose work I have appreciated and followed for years, and who has the rare gift of not only taking great pictures, but writing in eloquent detail about the process. And Ctein is, among other things, a consummately knowledgeable photographic nerd whose observations always contain illuminating nuggets.  Both of these links are worthwhile reading for me.

-- hide signature --

~Garry Winogrand~

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,317
shutter shock with old bodies

Adrian Harris wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Also it's important to note that the early m43 cameras had neither electronic shutter nor anti-shock.

H'mm, I must test mine again - after a 11 year hiatus with it. !!!

My original tests with the Panasonic G1 attached always produced VERY soft results anywhere near the 200mm mark - even when on a sturdy tripod.

The other problem with it was that it took a few milliseconds for the OIS in the lens to settle. So if you moved it very quickly and didn't pause briefly before hitting the shutter, you could at times get some strange optical results. Again please note my tests were all done with the original G1.

I suspect that shutter shock was likely often a problem years ago with this lens just like it was with several other lenses. Using the newer bodies with electronic shutters and much lower shock mechanical shutters may help a lot.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Lumix Vario 45-200mm v.II?

Thought I would bump this, as the question hasn't really been answered yet, and I would also like to know.

Re: Lumix Vario 45-200mm v.II?

Robbob67 wrote:

Thought I would bump this, as the question hasn't really been answered yet, and I would also like to know.

Presumably because few on the forum have it/have owned it?

As mentioned by another poster: "The Lumix G Vario 45-200mm f/4.0-5.6 II is optically equal to the 45-200mm that it is replacing." (Camerastuffrevew.com)

The only difference is an update to the electronics to work with dual is2, weather sealing and the paintwork, it would seem. So I guess a better buy than the mk 1 if price is similar and you want the lens.

Isabel Cutler
Isabel Cutler Forum Pro • Posts: 18,833
Re: 40-150?

Robbob67 wrote:

I would also be interested to hear about it. It is on my shopping list as my first choice for a tele zoom.
I know the 45-150 delivers reasonable results, but the extra 50mm would come in useful.

I have recently been thinking about the 40 to 150 f/2.8 too for its superb image quality, but have some concerns, among them the fact that it lacks image stabilization and it is a 2014 lens.  (I would think if Olympus hadn't been sold they might have been developing a Mark II version of the lens with stabilization. Its weight is surprisinglyly tolerable.  It's a lot more pricey than the cheaper f/4-5.6 version you may be thinking of, but that isn't a bad lens, in fact, it's been praised a lot - it's just not a low light lens.

I don't really NEED the 40-150 f/2.8 , but I should would love to have it.  I find the Panasonic 100-400 to be very heavy, don't like the stiff zoom control with extending barrel and f/6.3 when it zooms. It does, however, have excellent image quality.   A constant f/2.8 would be delightful.  I took the 100-400 to Costa Rica and with f/6.3 rain forest photography was nearly impossible.

You should watch some of the YouTube videos on the 40-150 f/2.8.

Isabel

-- hide signature --

"If you're not prepared to be wrong you'll never come up with anything original" Sir Ken Robinson
http://www.pBase.com/isabel95
https://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/

Isabel Cutler's gear list:Isabel Cutler's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 7D Sony a7 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +2 more
Re: Lumix Vario 45-200mm v.II?

Firmware wrote:

Robbob67 wrote:

Presumably because few on the forum have it/have owned it?

If that is the case, I am surprised. For £ per mm it seems like the obvious choice for anyone on a budget.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads