Fast prime improves S5 video AF?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
dwjnic Regular Member • Posts: 106
Fast prime improves S5 video AF?

I know the answer for stills but as somebody who is not a video shooter and new to contrast only af, will a fast prime noticeably improve the AF on the S5 over and above the kits lens in an indoor environment. I am assuming yes but want to make sure before purchasing.

Also, assuming Panasonic is the better option for video AF over Sigma.

I am aware of limitations of the AF system for video but looking to maximise performance where possible.

Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,621
Re: Fast prime improves S5 video AF?

dwjnic wrote:

I know the answer for stills but as somebody who is not a video shooter and new to contrast only af, will a fast prime noticeably improve the AF on the S5 over and above the kits lens in an indoor environment. I am assuming yes but want to make sure before purchasing.

I am aware of limitations of the AF system for video but looking to maximise performance where possible.

In general, as far as I have seen from tests online, and from reports here, the consensus seems that native panasonic lenses have better autofocus than sigma L-Mount lenses.

A lot of people in this forum like / love the Sigma lenses for photos. It seems that the biggest issue with them is in AF-C for video.

One of the nice things about the Panasonic f/1.8 primes that are coming out is that they are all pretty much the same size, so it should make it easier to re-balance a gimbal when switching primes, or using a follow focus, or a matte box.

Also, the Panasonic primes have minimal focus breathing. I assume (but can't swear that they have the ability to be switched from focus-by-wire focus throw to Linear focus throw.

I don't really know about primes vs zooms in terms of dealing with contrast-detect autofocus.

The lackluster AF-C performance in video is a bummer. But the Canon R6 and the Sony a7 IV are out and I don't really feel the need to switch. The R6 is probably more tempting because of the full frame 4K 60 and the great autofocus, but the lack of waveforms and overheating issues makes it kind of a non-starter for me.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more
l92 Regular Member • Posts: 101

dwjnic wrote:

If anything. Shallow depth of field with fast primes makes the S5 hunt even more in video AF. I had the Lumix 85mm and it was way worse than the kit 20-60.

Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,621

l92 wrote:

dwjnic wrote:

If anything. Shallow depth of field with fast primes makes the S5 hunt even more in video AF. I had the Lumix 85mm and it was way worse than the kit 20-60.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I knew that lenses with big apertures (like f/1.4) will generally be slower to focus on pretty much ALL cameras (dslr or mirrorless).

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads