I wish Sony would make a stills only camera.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Jared Weber
Jared Weber Contributing Member • Posts: 840
I wish Sony would make a stills only camera.

Who else doesn’t shoot video using their camera? Would it make sense for Sony to have a full frame camera catered to stills only shooters?

Sony could get rid of all the fancy video features and focus the camera purely on photography. I would love to see Sony do this one day.

-- hide signature --
PAntunes Contributing Member • Posts: 996
Re: I wish Sony would make a stills only camera.

I really don't get this kind of posts... 
What is the idea? What do you think removing the video features would add?

techjedi
techjedi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,143

Jared Weber wrote:

Who else doesn’t shoot video using their camera? Would it make sense for Sony to have a full frame camera catered to stills only shooters?

Sony could get rid of all the fancy video features and focus the camera purely on photography. I would love to see Sony do this one day.

It wouldn't be cheaper.

It wouldn't have more stills features.

It wouldn't have any better stills quality.

It wouldn't sell well.

You can bet that if there was a profitable market for a stills only camera, all the big players would be selling one.

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VA +21 more
hungrylau Senior Member • Posts: 1,479

Doesn't Leica or some other brand make a stills only camera?
It's not Sony, it will never be Sony. They have always had video as a part of their camera division's DNA.

hungrylau's gear list:hungrylau's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 50 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Barugon Veteran Member • Posts: 9,289

Jared Weber wrote:

And then there's that situation where you think damn, I wish my camera could shoot some video.

pollup Senior Member • Posts: 1,308

techjedi wrote:

Jared Weber wrote:

It wouldn't be cheaper.

It wouldn't sell well.

You can bet that if there was a profitable market for a stills only camera, all the big players would be selling one.

Perfect reply.

Some people just don't understand what makes a camera cheap or expensive.

If you take the A1 and remove all its video features, it would cost Sony the exact same amount of money to manufacture.

It's the sensor that makes that camera so expensive and so good.

You wouldn't even save money on R&D by removing the video features, since they were pretty much copied/pasted from the A7Siii. So it was essentially free for Sony to add those video specs.

It's like he wants a firmware update that removes the ability to record video or what?

pollup's gear list:pollup's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Canon EOS 550D +6 more
BruceRH Senior Member • Posts: 2,925

Sticking with a tilt screen would be nice. I can ignore the video features but with a FAS, well, I can’t ignore that.

BruceRH's gear list:BruceRH's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus TG-6 Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 III +32 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188

BruceRH wrote:

Sticking with a tilt screen would be nice. I can ignore the video features but with a FAS, well, I can’t ignore that.

What really sucks is that Sony Can make a Tilt screen that also Flips and turns. They did it for the A77->A99ii. All they would have to do is move the flip mechanism to the side

It actually wouldnt be that hard to integrate a flip mechanism for the current Tilt screens.   Ah well.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 3,692

Jared Weber wrote:

The video features are effectively “free” - they have been developed for other cameras. So you don’t get a cheaper “stills-only” camera. In fact, it would cost more, because they would have to write a separate manual, make a box, give it a number, get the necessary approvals and licenses, and so forth. And those extra costs would be amortised over a small number of people who want this model.

Sorry, it just ain’t gonna happen.

Just pretend your camera has no video features. Redefine the movie button to something, like “magnify view”.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +5 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 22,715

Jared Weber wrote:

But you haven't said how much you'd be willing to pay for it. You and a relative handful of other people would probably be the only buyers, so expect it to cost a lot.

richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,321
Movie Button

AlephNull wrote:

Just pretend your camera has no video features. Redefine the movie button to something, like “magnify view”.

Unfortunately, the A7Rii does not provide other than movie configuration for this button.

-- hide signature --

Richard

sybersitizen wrote:

Jared Weber wrote:

But you haven't said how much you'd be willing to pay for it. You and a relative handful of other people would probably be the only buyers, so expect it to cost a lot.

The irony is beautiful.

It's obvious Jared just wants a cheaper camera, but if Sony were to listen to him, he would get an A7iv "stills only" version for $3500. That's about how much it would have to cost in order to make sense business wise since such a camera would cut more than half of the potential buyers.

Ironically, if you want the camera to be cheaper, you WANT it to have a lot of video features because it would attract more buyers and therefore could be produced in larger quantities which lowers the production cost through Economies of scale.

At the very least, you should celebrate that it has those features, because that's what allows Sony to keep the cost down.

Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Canon EOS 550D +6 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,253
photo centric Sony cameras have an "R" in their name

techjedi wrote:

Jared Weber wrote:

It wouldn't be cheaper.

It wouldn't sell well.

great summary.

Video is predominately a software question and somehow related to some HW topics like processing power and read out speed but that helps for photography as well.

While I am personally not really using the video functions I am all in for more functionality to give the users the maximum freedom of choice.

Nobody forces you to use features you don't like/need.

The new A7 IV is a boring update for photography and a really nice upgrade in video features. In case you don't like it get an A7R IV which is undoubtedly the better photography tool

Younger generations are more video centric.

We do have mostly photography centered cameras - they have an "R" in their name.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,773

Jared Weber wrote:

They have several. I think the latest full frame one is the A900.

If you want something newer, you would need to look to the Nikon Df. It's actually lower resolution, but a really great sensor, and a pretty great camera in general.

Neither of these have rear LCDs that move in any direction at all.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Nikon D200 NEX-5T Sony a7R II +38 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,253
price is irrelevant for cameras - what matters is T.C.O.

pollup wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Jared Weber wrote:

The irony is beautiful.

It's obvious Jared just wants a cheaper camera, but if Sony were to listen to him, he would get an A7iv "stills only" version for $3500. That's about how much it would have to cost in order to make sense business wise since such a camera would cut more than half of the potential buyers.

Ironically, if you want the camera to be cheaper, you WANT it to have a lot of video features because it would attract more buyers and therefore could be produced in larger quantities which lowers the production cost through Economies of scale.

At the very least, you should celebrate that it has those features, because that's what allows Sony to keep the cost down.

Total Cost Of Ownership - buying plus maintenance - income - selling price

The cost for buying stuff is only a small portion of the total price payed.

Sold all my canon gear for a good deal for the former purchasing price - good investment.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 3,692

hungrylau wrote:

Doesn't Leica or some other brand make a stills only camera?
It's not Sony, it will never be Sony. They have always had video as a part of their camera division's DNA.

The Leica M series remains, I believe, stills only. However, it’s also manual focus only, and was designed for rangefinder focus - I think the M10 introduced focus peaking. I would guess that the focusing is why it does not include video.

I suspect that Sony introducing a stills-only camera that was manual focus would be, um, very brave.

I think our OP wants to keep all the shiny bells and whistles, but just lose video.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +5 more
kamituel
kamituel Senior Member • Posts: 1,353

pollup wrote:

techjedi wrote:

Jared Weber wrote:

It wouldn't be cheaper.

It wouldn't sell well.

Perfect reply.

But... the OP did not say the desire for a stills-only camera comes from a hope it'd be cheaper. So I'm not sure - what are you referring to?

-- hide signature --
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 18,076
And no AF or auto anything

That's what I would like and also no rear screen. Why is simple, I'm selfish

You know the spooky part, it would cost more than what we have now. Go figure.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

http://www.birdsinaction.com
------------
I can always justify a need, but I can never justify a want.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R IV Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +8 more

kamituel wrote:

pollup wrote:

techjedi wrote:

Jared Weber wrote:

It wouldn't be cheaper.

It wouldn't sell well.

Perfect reply.

But... the OP did not say the desire for a stills-only camera comes from a hope it'd be cheaper. So I'm not sure - what are you referring to?

You have to read between the lines

It's obviously a money reason. Otherwise there's already a perfect stills camera: the Sony A1.

Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,581

Hi,

while I shared this view until some years ago I had to learn that the idea is based on a fundamental misconception that today's cameras would (still) have essentially "photographic genetics". They however don't but are essentially video devices , only in the housing of what used to be (more or less) still photo cam.

Of course the stills-extraction of the "video device" is improved over pure video cams but video still remains the core technology. IAW no photo device w/o video technology so not much sense in elimination of the (to many appealing) core-video-technology. So to say, the photocentric gets his/her device at a lower price because it appeals not only to them (lower R&D); larger selling numbers gets better returns and distributes R&D costs.

And for pure usage purposes, if one doesn't want video it can be disabled (though it might be interesting to connect menu entries to the position of the video-still-switch to get distinct menus for either of the working areas, not just greying out)

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads