Image Capture does not save created date.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Joe5 Regular Member • Posts: 172
Image Capture does not save created date.

Hi,

The last couple of times I downloaded photos from my iPhone X and later with an iPhone 13 Pro Max, I noticed that the date created, modified and added all showed the current date.

I have typically used Image Capture to save my photos to the hard drive. I then edit them in Light Room (used to used Aperture).

How do you either fix Image Capture or is there a better way to download photos to the hard drive?

Thanks,

Joe

Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,204
Re: Image Capture does not save created date.

Joe5 wrote:

Hi,

The last couple of times I downloaded photos from my iPhone X and later with an iPhone 13 Pro Max, I noticed that the date created, modified and added all showed the current date.

I have typically used Image Capture to save my photos to the hard drive. I then edit them in Light Room (used to used Aperture).

How do you either fix Image Capture or is there a better way to download photos to the hard drive?

Thanks,

Joe

Do you mean the file created date or the image created date? What were you intending to use it for?

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-S10
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 9,344

Greybeard2017 wrote:

Joe5 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Joe

Do you mean the file created date or the image created date? What were you intending to use it for?

Yes, there are numerous dates associated with image files. From the filesystem's (date created, date modified, added, etc) to the exif dates from the camera to IPTC dates as well. Generally the exif date is what matters, not the file date created. But it depends on what one is trying to do.

And I can't quite recall, but I think PNG files might lack that, so the type of image might matter too.

Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 19,632

You should be able to do what you need using exiftool.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +13 more
OP Joe5 Regular Member • Posts: 172

The majority of files are HEIC.

In the past, the date created used to be the date that the picture was taken. Now it is the date that I download the photo to my Mac.

Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 19,632

Joe5 wrote:

The majority of files are HEIC.

In the past, the date created used to be the date that the picture was taken. Now it is the date that I download the photo to my Mac.

https://macmost.com/how-to-change-file-creation-dates-to-match-photo-metadata.html

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +13 more
strawbale Senior Member • Posts: 1,945

Joe5 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Joe

It doesn't behave like that with my iPhone 7+ photos downloaded with Image Capture.

strawbale's gear list:strawbale's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800

I did a little searching on the internet and found that one of the recent updates to the Mac operating system caused this issue when saving to external drives. Today I downloaded photos I took in the last 2 weeks to the internal hard drive. The date created and modified are the dates that the pictures were taken. I was then able to move the photos to an external drive without issue.

Thanks for the responses,

Joe

strawbale Senior Member • Posts: 1,945

Joe5 wrote:

I did a little searching on the internet and found that one of the recent updates to the Mac operating system caused this issue when saving to external drives. Today I downloaded photos I took in the last 2 weeks to the internal hard drive. The date created and modified are the dates that the pictures were taken. I was then able to move the photos to an external drive without issue.

Joe

Good to know, thank you.

On which MacOS does this happen (for you)?

My last download from my iPhone 7+ straight to an external HDD dates from Oct 2nd and didn't have the problem you described. Will check next time I do one.

I did notice though, that Image Capture does sometimes download the same photos a second (or third or fourth) time when downloading from my iPhone 7+, but never from my iPad mini 3 & 5.

strawbale's gear list:strawbale's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800

strawbale wrote:

Joe5 wrote:

Joe

Good to know, thank you.

On which MacOS does this happen (for you)?

My last download from my iPhone 7+ straight to an external HDD dates from Oct 2nd and didn't have the problem you described. Will check next time I do one.

I did notice though, that Image Capture does sometimes download the same photos a second (or third or fourth) time when downloading from my iPhone 7+, but never from my iPad mini 3 & 5.

Sorry for the late reply, things have been rather hectic lately. I am currently running Big Sur, version 11.5.2. I did not have the issue before I updated to Big Sur.

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads