More from the sort-of reunion

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,081
More from the sort-of reunion

I recently posted some photos from a small get together in Phoenix of three friends from high school 55 years ago. I finally worked through the too many shots I took during their visit, so here is a second batch to compliment the previous post .

The bulk of the photos were taken at the Commemorative Air Force exhibit in Mesa, AZ, where a number of mostly WW II planes are on display. The star of the collection is a fully operational B17 bomber named Sentimental Journey. After squeezing through the interior of this plane I was delighted to find a number of inscriptions hand written in permanent marker on the inside of the bomb bay doors. I took a bunch of photos with my V2 and 6.7-13 lens, but didn't have the energy to get any lower to record more of them. but that is at the top of my list for my next visit, when I'll likely use a J5 and 18.5/1.8 lens.

I finished the reunion with a few people photos.

My friend ED, V3 with 32/1.2 in low light.

Our group of four (me at top left). V2, 10/2.8, SB-N7 with diffuser cap pointed up.

For the group shot I put a V2 with 10/2.8 on a tripod, along with an SB-N7 wearing a diffuser pointed straight up, and fired with the little wireless remote. Although it didn't put out much light with the very high ceiling it made for very nice lighting.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 2,466
Re: More from the sort-of reunion

Great photo of you and your friends. - and yes you have the lighting spot on as far as I am concerned

I didn't know you had the 32/1.2 - you got a great portrait of Ed with it !

The inscriptions on the plane I find really poignant - they look as if they could have been written yesterday - which they were, relatively. People forget so quickly.

RichDitch
OP RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,081

rich_cx139 wrote:

Great photo of you and your friends. - and yes you have the lighting spot on as far as I am concerned

I didn't know you had the 32/1.2 - you got a great portrait of Ed with it !

The inscriptions on the plane I find really poignant - they look as if they could have been written yesterday - which they were, relatively. People forget so quickly.

Thanks.

I was surprised at how even the flash lighting came out for the group shot. I rarely use flash, although 40-50 years ago I had a tiny manual Vivitar flash that I could hold over a small flower when doing macro work with a 55/3.5 macro lens. And I also did a directory of about 100 people where I worked in the late '70s, using a good TTL flash with an umbrella on a stand and a 105/2.5 lens. Here's a sample

I hesitated on buying the expensive 32/1.2, but when I found a clean example I figured I might not get another opportunity. It really is a nice lens, and I love it on a fully equipped V3.

We are quite moved by the testimonial inscriptions. I think these have been added to the B17 during its life as a living exhibit, by former flyers who have toured the B17. I suspect the bold crisp lettering has been done by one of the museum staff. In some places you can see what looks like an actual signature from the person whose information has been recorded.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #449

Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,175

The diffuser on the group shot worked out well. Is that you squeezing the remote trigger, Rich?

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
PORTRAIT
PORTRAIT Senior Member • Posts: 2,993

Looks like you had a great time Rich!

Marco

-- hide signature --

Photography= Art & Tech.
Marco Images© All Rights Reserved.
Please do not use them without prior permission.
https://photos.google.com/albums

PORTRAIT's gear list:PORTRAIT's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Fujifilm XQ1 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +7 more
RichDitch
OP RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,081

Sangster wrote:

The diffuser on the group shot worked out well. Is that you squeezing the remote trigger, Rich?

Thanks. Yes, that's me on the trigger, with the worst expression of the group. I guess I was half expecting the flash with remote wouldn't actually work as I had never used it that way before.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #449

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,648

fantastic

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads