lens has come out of the barrel (Helios 44M-4 f2)

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Juyal
Juyal Regular Member • Posts: 175
lens has come out of the barrel (Helios 44M-4 f2)

Kindly help.

My lens has come out of the (helicoid) barrel. Now I am unable to put it back when I twist/screw it anticlockwise. Its barrel is of screw type.

I brought a used Helios 44M-4 f2 lens first time. While I was examining the lens I twisted the lens (a few times) and unexpectedly it came out.

posting its pics. Thanks in advance.

Front lens

screw type barrel

inside of barrel

back of lens

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,850
Re: lens has come out of the barrel (Helios 44M-4 f2)

First contact the seller with the problem.  You might need to return it and get a refund (if it was sold as "in working" condition".

The lens has not been assembled properly, which is why it separated.  To get it back together, with a properly working distance scale and proper focus to infinity, will require more disassembly.

Juyal
OP Juyal Regular Member • Posts: 175

Aoi Usagi wrote:

First contact the seller with the problem. You might need to return it and get a refund (if it was sold as "in working" condition".

ok. thanks

The lens has not been assembled properly, which is why it separated. To get it back together, with a properly working distance scale and proper focus to infinity, will require more disassembly.

I am confused on this as after messing it I started seeing youtube for help and found a clip where this person unscrewed Helios lens just by twisting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euybmWDbb9g (jump to 12:43)

Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,850

Juyal wrote:

Aoi Usagi wrote:

First contact the seller with the problem. You might need to return it and get a refund (if it was sold as "in working" condition".

ok. thanks

The lens has not been assembled properly, which is why it separated. To get it back together, with a properly working distance scale and proper focus to infinity, will require more disassembly.

I am confused on this as after messing it I started seeing youtube for help and found a clip where this person unscrewed Helios lens just by twisting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euybmWDbb9g (jump to 12:43)

The difference between the lens in the video, and your lens, is that he only removed the optics and not the helicoid.  The helicoid will need proper adjustment for it to work again on your lens.

Juyal

Ok. Thanks very much. Will return it.

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 43,712

There is supposed to be a stop pin screwed into the barrel which prevents the helicoid from turning beyond its set range of focus close/far. This also prevents the barrel from being fully unscrewed.  This pin has been removed and as it is obviously missing.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

trungtran Senior Member • Posts: 1,566

A couple of screws are missing as well that hold the focus ring. You can see 2 screws still in place and 2 missing.

It take a bit of work for you to line everything back up and assuming the guides are still in place and not bent.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7 II Canon EOS M6
Juyal

Many thanks. I think I have brought a defective lens. Will of course return it.

Juyal

Yes, I saw them too but thought it was proper. Just a question. If in case I fix it up does it affect (fixing process) the quality of the image later on.

trungtran Senior Member • Posts: 1,566

Juyal wrote:

Yes, I saw them too but thought it was proper. Just a question. If in case I fix it up does it affect (fixing process) the quality of the image later on.

If you can put everything back together as original it should not impact IQ. The key is lining up the helicoids and guides. This is hard if you don't know how it is suppose to be in the first place. If you can find an online guide, that may help else it is trial and error.

Helicoids are probably the second hardest repair after cemented lens groups.

If you can return, probably best to do that.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7 II Canon EOS M6
Juyal

Thank you very much!

You literally saved me. I thought I could do it. After reading your feedback I am sure will return it.

aluma Regular Member • Posts: 122

There is an 8-way thread on the helicoid. Make marks on the parts and try to screw in different positions. The correct position is when, when screwing in, the marks of infinity and control risk coincide. But, obviously, they disassembled your lens and did not put two parts that prevent complete loosening. In this video, this detail can be seen at 10.34 on the lower right inside the case.

http://liveviewer.ru/2020/02/razborka-i-obsluzhivanie-gelios-44m/

P.S. I will add. You may need to remove the rear flange (by unscrewing three screws) to align the jumper arm and the diaphragm control stem. But be careful, there are small balls under the diaphragm ring and it is better not to touch the ring itself.

But with such a defect it is probably more correct to return the lens to the seller.

Juyal

Thank you very much for sharing this clip. I was exactly looking for this. Now everything is clear. 🙂🙂

Juyal

Tom Caldwell wrote:

There is supposed to be a stop pin screwed into the barrel which prevents the helicoid from turning beyond its set range of focus close/far. This also prevents the barrel from being fully unscrewed. This pin has been removed and as it is obviously missing.

Just one curiosity. Where does this "Stop pin" fits that you are talking about.

I have posted the pictures showing the red circles.  Kindly point out the exact location.

Thank you

Red mark 1

Red mark 2

aluma Regular Member • Posts: 122

Juyal

I'm sorry, I should have said right away.

These lenses were produced by different factories in several modifications, they differed mainly in internal mechanics. On the page on my link above, the first option, Helios 44M, at the bottom of the page there are links to others.

Here is for Helios 44M-4, from the 10th minute removes the fixing guides.

http://liveviewer.ru/2020/12/razbiraem-gelios-44m-4-i-obsluzhivaem-ego/

But in the USSR there could be different cases, it is quite possible and some kind of hybrid from different models. Look at others, you may find similar to yours.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads