Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

Started Oct 25, 2021 | Questions
luciano909 New Member • Posts: 11
Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?
1

I'm using a Sony RX10 IV. I’m finding that it is pretty easy to accidentally change the focal length. For example say if I have extended the camera to 600mm, I’m regularly accidentally knocking zoom lever and accidentally changing the focal length to something like 500mm. This is particularly the case when I’m using the camera with a shoulder strap. Is there a way to either fix the focal length or change the function of the zoom lever so it cannot accidentally be knocked?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 59,868
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?
3

No, it can't be locked. My advice, be more careful!

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 4,042
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?
3

luciano909 wrote:

I'm using a Sony RX10 IV. I’m finding that it is pretty easy to accidentally change the focal length. For example say if I have extended the camera to 600mm, I’m regularly accidentally knocking zoom lever and accidentally changing the focal length to something like 500mm. This is particularly the case when I’m using the camera with a shoulder strap. Is there a way to either fix the focal length or change the function of the zoom lever so it cannot accidentally be knocked?

You can swap the zoom control to the focus ring - now you are much less likely to accidentally alter the zoom. One of the first things I did when I got the camera.

 Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6700 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Sony a7C II +1 more
OP luciano909 New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

Horacecoker wrote:

luciano909 wrote:

I'm using a Sony RX10 IV. I’m finding that it is pretty easy to accidentally change the focal length. For example say if I have extended the camera to 600mm, I’m regularly accidentally knocking zoom lever and accidentally changing the focal length to something like 500mm. This is particularly the case when I’m using the camera with a shoulder strap. Is there a way to either fix the focal length or change the function of the zoom lever so it cannot accidentally be knocked?

You can swap the zoom control to the focus ring - now you are much less likely to accidentally alter the zoom. One of the first things I did when I got the camera.

Could you tell me how to do that please as that would solve problem? I can zoom using the focus ring, but this doesn't stop zooming the ability to zoom with the zoom lever.

Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 4,042
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

luciano909 wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

luciano909 wrote:

I'm using a Sony RX10 IV. I’m finding that it is pretty easy to accidentally change the focal length. For example say if I have extended the camera to 600mm, I’m regularly accidentally knocking zoom lever and accidentally changing the focal length to something like 500mm. This is particularly the case when I’m using the camera with a shoulder strap. Is there a way to either fix the focal length or change the function of the zoom lever so it cannot accidentally be knocked?

You can swap the zoom control to the focus ring - now you are much less likely to accidentally alter the zoom. One of the first things I did when I got the camera.

Could you tell me how to do that please as that would solve problem? I can zoom using the focus ring, but this doesn't stop zooming the ability to zoom with the zoom lever.

Camera tab 2 > page 9 > Lens Ring Setup > enter > select: FrontZoom/RearFocus.

This does change how the zoom lever operates.

 Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6700 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Sony a7C II +1 more
Kerusker
Kerusker Senior Member • Posts: 1,469
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

luciano909 wrote:

I can zoom using the focus ring, but this doesn't stop zooming the ability to zoom with the zoom lever.

I Think you can only protect the zoom lever mechanically. Therefore you have to file off the front such that it does not extend over the grip. If this isn't enough for protection, then you should glue a kind of shield in front of it fastened on the grip such that the zoom lever top  just extends the shield vertically (otherwise you can't operate the lever).

My half cent 

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

 Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,599
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?
1

luciano909 wrote:

I'm using a Sony RX10 IV. I’m finding that it is pretty easy to accidentally change the focal length. For example say if I have extended the camera to 600mm, I’m regularly accidentally knocking zoom lever and accidentally changing the focal length to something like 500mm. This is particularly the case when I’m using the camera with a shoulder strap. Is there a way to either fix the focal length or change the function of the zoom lever so it cannot accidentally be knocked?

Several good comments here so here is my summary:

Like others have said, you can not disable the zoom lever but, like Horace says, you can assign the zoom ring to the ring nearest to the body. This would prevent accidentally changing zoom by accidently touching the front ring. (certainly why I assign zoom to the focus ring closest to the body)

just my 0.02
Bert

 BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 4,042
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

BertIverson wrote:

luciano909 wrote:

I'm using a Sony RX10 IV. I’m finding that it is pretty easy to accidentally change the focal length. For example say if I have extended the camera to 600mm, I’m regularly accidentally knocking zoom lever and accidentally changing the focal length to something like 500mm. This is particularly the case when I’m using the camera with a shoulder strap. Is there a way to either fix the focal length or change the function of the zoom lever so it cannot accidentally be knocked?

Several good comments here so here is my summary:

Like others have said, you can not disable the zoom lever but, like Horace says, you can assign the zoom ring to the ring nearest to the body. This would prevent accidentally changing zoom by accidently touching the front ring. (certainly why I assign zoom to the focus ring closest to the body)

just my 0.02
Bert

It's actually the exact opposite of what you say. The default zoom ring position is the fatter ring closest to the body and being closest to the body is the reason it is easy to accidentally nudge when supporting the camera with the left hand. Swapping the zoom function over to the front focus ring, greatly reduces the chance of nudging it. It doesn't matter if you nudge the fatter ring next to the body when it's used for focus as when you are in auto-focus nothing happens.

 Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6700 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Sony a7C II +1 more
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,599
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

Horacecoker wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

luciano909 wrote:

I'm using a Sony RX10 IV. I’m finding that it is pretty easy to accidentally change the focal length. For example say if I have extended the camera to 600mm, I’m regularly accidentally knocking zoom lever and accidentally changing the focal length to something like 500mm. This is particularly the case when I’m using the camera with a shoulder strap. Is there a way to either fix the focal length or change the function of the zoom lever so it cannot accidentally be knocked?

Several good comments here so here is my summary:

Like others have said, you can not disable the zoom lever but, like Horace says, you can assign the zoom ring to the ring nearest to the body. This would prevent accidentally changing zoom by accidently touching the front ring. (certainly why I assign zoom to the focus ring closest to the body)

just my 0.02
Bert

It's actually the exact opposite of what you say. The default zoom ring position is the fatter ring closest to the body and being closest to the body is the reason it is easy to accidentally nudge when supporting the camera with the left hand. Swapping the zoom function over to the front focus ring, greatly reduces the chance of nudging it. It doesn't matter if you nudge the fatter ring next to the body when it's used for focus as when you are in auto-focus nothing happens.

OK I guess that make sense but I assume it depends on one's holding habits. My left hand index finger rests under the body away from both front rings even behind the aperture ring -- but that is just me.

Bert

 BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 59,868
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

BertIverson wrote:

OK I guess that make sense but I assume it depends on one's holding habits. My left hand index finger rests under the body away from both front rings even behind the aperture ring -- but that is just me.

Bert

H hold my RX10iv with my left hand around the zoom ring because I change it often.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,599
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

tbcass wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

OK I guess that make sense but I assume it depends on one's holding habits. My left hand index finger rests under the body away from both front rings even behind the aperture ring -- but that is just me.

Bert

H hold my RX10iv with my left hand around the zoom ring because I change it often.

I am pretty old and certainly used to zoom by rotating lenses but the RX10 zoom lever suits me fine and the ring does not offer faster zoom. So I use neither of the rings on my  RX10M4 -- AF and zoom lever for me.

To each his own for sure.

Cheers,
Bert

 BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 59,868
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

BertIverson wrote:

tbcass wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

OK I guess that make sense but I assume it depends on one's holding habits. My left hand index finger rests under the body away from both front rings even behind the aperture ring -- but that is just me.

Bert

H hold my RX10iv with my left hand around the zoom ring because I change it often.

I am pretty old and certainly used to zoom by rotating lenses but the RX10 zoom lever suits me fine and the ring does not offer faster zoom. So I use neither of the rings on my RX10M4 -- AF and zoom lever for me.

To each his own for sure.

Cheers,
Bert

I do use the lever as well for some things but when shooting sports I find the ring works better to zoom in or out as the athlete runs toward or away from me. The ring offers more precision.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,599
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

tbcass wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

tbcass wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

OK I guess that make sense but I assume it depends on one's holding habits. My left hand index finger rests under the body away from both front rings even behind the aperture ring -- but that is just me.

Bert

H hold my RX10iv with my left hand around the zoom ring because I change it often.

I am pretty old and certainly used to zoom by rotating lenses but the RX10 zoom lever suits me fine and the ring does not offer faster zoom. So I use neither of the rings on my RX10M4 -- AF and zoom lever for me.

To each his own for sure.

Cheers,
Bert

I do use the lever as well for some things but when shooting sports I find the ring works better to zoom in or out as the athlete runs toward or away from me. The ring offers more precision.

That makes sense. Maybe I should try using one of the rings but I am not big on zoom precision since I always end up cropping/rotating in post.

-- hide signature --

Bert

 BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
OrbeaBoy New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

Love that solution, I just purchased a used RX10IV and I’m in the process of customizing. Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads