Nikon z5 vs fuji xs10 price vs image quality and kit lenses

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Mieszko New Member • Posts: 6
Nikon z5 vs fuji xs10 price vs image quality and kit lenses

Hey guys. Im looking to get into photography and I have read a lot about apsc and full frame but dont have the possibility to try out different brands where I live so I have to take a chance based on reviews etc and sell again if I feel miserable with a system which is ok for me.

I want to get a great start with image quality compared to phones and most bang for the buck so I am looking for great offers these months before christmas in particular.

The Z5 is about 1400 dollars this month in my country down from 2000 with the kit lens compared to about 1400-1500 dollars for the xs10 with the kit lenses. I assume a kit lens is a good start for a beginner to try things out, as I dont know how much I want to invest into macro or landscape etc yet.

So the question, for about 1400 dollars and nikon z5 with the small kit lens vs xs 10 with either of the two kit lenses that typically follows, will I see a difference in image quality? If I want to lets say print and have some pictures on my wall in my house etc. Will it only be in low light or also just in general a greater quality difference that should lean me towards z5 with the good rebate in my country? They seem to both produce good looking jpegs for a starter which is also something I like.

Thanks in advance

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348
Full frame vs. APS-C

The comparable Nikon would be the Z50.  The two lens kit would be about $1200.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +7 more
Ringwraith69
Ringwraith69 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,127
Re: Nikon z5 vs fuji xs10 price vs image quality and kit lenses

From the Nikon world, the cameras comparable to the XS10 would be either the Z50 (the Z5 is full frame, not APS-C) or the new Z-fc.

I doubt there will be much difference in IQ between these two Nikons and the Fuji. Both brands are capable of producing excellent results and it's mostly a matter of personal taste which output you like best. Neither will disappoint.

I'm not familiar with Nikon's kit lenses for the Z-system. Fuji has built up a reputation for selling lenses in a kit with their bodies that surpass the quality usually found in kit lenses. I've used most Fuji kit lenses at one time or another and they always managed to surprise me in a positive way. But I consistently hear good things about Nikons Z-lenses, too.

-- hide signature --

(We are only immortal for a limited time)

Ringwraith69's gear list:Ringwraith69's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX10 II Sony RX10 IV Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX95 +36 more
PhotonBeam
PhotonBeam Regular Member • Posts: 293

Is there any way you can try them? The handling will be different between the two cameras.

Have you considered the lenses you may want in the future and the size/cost of the kit? I would personally look at picking up a prime lens for low light and to experiment with (it would complement the kit lens).

You may also want to compare the autofocus of the two cameras. Both should be sufficient, but the newer eye tracking autofocus systems look very nice. I find that good autofocus is one of the few features worth paying for.

They will both take fantastic images in the right hands. Both can produce large high quality prints.

-- hide signature --
 PhotonBeam's gear list:PhotonBeam's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
sunnycal
sunnycal Contributing Member • Posts: 636

I was recently looking for an aps-c body, I compared Z50 (not Z5) vs X-S10. Comparing side by side (for several days), Z50 was easy win for me mainly due to image quality of kit lenses and AF.

There is a YouTube channel which compares both side by side in several videos. Take a look at those.

sunnycal's gear list:sunnycal's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D810 Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +13 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 2,703

Mieszko wrote:

The Z5 is about 1400 dollars this month in my country down from 2000 with the kit lens compared to about 1400-1500 dollars for the xs10 with the kit lenses. I assume a kit lens is a good start for a beginner to try things out, as I dont know how much I want to invest into macro or landscape etc yet.

First: WELCOME to the DPR forums and the world of photography!

Good news: You'll be fine with both. Both are capable of producing excellent image quality and should make you happy.

A lot of first-time photographers are disappointed by their first foray into a "real" camera, but the problem isn't the equipment, it's the user. "Consumer" cameras (and phones) are geared towards making decisions and getting good-looking results, while interchangeable-lens cameras are all about giving the user more creative control -- but if you're still learning, the initial results you get may be disappointing.

My suggestion would be to reserve part of your budget for training -- a local Photo 101 course is good, and Nikon's Online School has some introductory classes that are very good. You want to learn the basics: Exposure (aperture and shutter speed), ISO, and how they affect your images, and of course composition (taking pictures that are interesting in the first place).

Beware of learning from YouTube -- anyone can declare themselves an expert, and one thing we often see here in the forums is that there are a LOT of YTers who don't know what they're talking about (because they didn't learn properly either). Today's cameras are highly complex but you need not get buried in the technical complexity. If you know the basics as outlined above, you can get good photos with any camera. (Great takes practice. (-:)

FWIW, I've been shooting semi-seriously for about 30 years. My digital camera is a Sony A6000, a fairly simple APS-C model that I bought six+ years ago and have yet to outgrow. I also have the kit lenses and rarely run into their limitations. Personally I prefer simplicity -- as little between me and the photo as possible. You can look at my flickr page below and decide if I'm worth listening to.

HTH!

Aaron

-- hide signature --
Greg Ohio Regular Member • Posts: 257

The Z5 has the clear advantage of the larger sensor. But, the basic kit lens included with it is a 24-50mm, basically wide-angle to normal, with no telephoto. It is also available with a 24-200mm, at a higher price.

The XS10 is available with several different kit lenses, all with greater range. The best of these, the 16-80mm, is equivalent to 24-120mm on a full frame camera. More than twice the telephoto range of the Z5's kit lens. The XS10 also has better videography features, and additional lenses are less expensive.

The decision for me would depend on whether my budget included the 24-200mm lens for the Z5.

BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348

Greg Ohio wrote:

The Z5 has the clear advantage of the larger sensor. But, the basic kit lens included with it is a 24-50mm, basically wide-angle to normal, with no telephoto. It is also available with a 24-200mm, at a higher price.

The XS10 is available with several different kit lenses, all with greater range. The best of these, the 16-80mm, is equivalent to 24-120mm on a full frame camera. More than twice the telephoto range of the Z5's kit lens. The XS10 also has better videography features, and additional lenses are less expensive.

The decision for me would depend on whether my budget included the 24-200mm lens for the Z5.

A Nikkor Z 24-120 f4 has been announced at $1100.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads