Why FilmPack?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,957
Why FilmPack?

I understand, I think, that DxO's FilmPack provides excellent emulation of different film emulsions.

My question is: if you never shot film, would you be interested?

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
RSTP14 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,177
Re: Why FilmPack?

Perhaps  because one may wish to achieve the look provided by a given emulsion without the hassle?

-- hide signature --

Roger

RSTP14's gear list:RSTP14's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 15,163

davidedric wrote:

I understand, I think, that DxO's FilmPack provides excellent emulation of different film emulsions.

It also adds a number of features to PhotoLab that have nothing to do with film emulations. In effect, having an FP licence turns on some advanced PhotoLab functions.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +19 more
Box Brownie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,673

Digital Nigel wrote:

davidedric wrote:

It also adds a number of features to PhotoLab that have nothing to do with film emulations. In effect, having an FP licence turns on some advanced PhotoLab functions.

Please could you elaborate on this part of your post, as in what is missing/non functional in PL Elite that is turned on by using FP that are nothing to do with the film emulations???

TIA

-- hide signature --
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 15,163

Box Brownie wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

davidedric wrote:

Please could you elaborate on this part of your post, as in what is missing/non functional in PL Elite that is turned on by using FP that are nothing to do with the film emulations???

TIA

From https://download-center.dxo.com/Support/docs/PhotoLab_v5/user-guide/PL5_manual_EN.pdf

o The DxO FilmPack Time Machine button opens the Time Machine window showing an illustrated history of photography related to events, sorted by decades, from the 19th century to the years 2010-2020.

o Style - Toning: Duplicates the Style - Toning palette in the Color palette. It allows you to apply a number of tonings.

o Filter: Simulates lens filters.

o DxO FilmPack Grain (PC) / Grain (Mac): Lets you apply a specific grain type from more than sixty films, color as well as B&W, and to set the size of the grain.

o Fine Contrast: adds the Fine Contrast slider to the Contrast sub-palette of DxO PhotoLab.

o Channel mixer for black and white (PC) / Channel mixer (Mac) (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): Lets you set and refine black & white conversion according to your taste by acting on the additive colors (RGB: red, green, and blue) as well as on the subtractive colors (CMY: cyan, magenta, and yellow).

o Creative vignetting (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): With this palette, you can modify the amount of light on the edges of an image in order to draw attention to a subject in the center.

o Blur (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): With this palette, you can create a blurry effect around your subject with Vignetting, and with Soft Focus, you can apply a diffusion effect to your images.

o Frame (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): Lets you place a frame around your image; different styles are available.

o Texture (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): Allows you to simulate scratches or tears on analog film negatives.

o Light leak (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): Lets you reproduce the effects of aging analog film negatives or problems related to accidental exposure of analog film to light

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +19 more
Box Brownie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,673

Digital Nigel wrote:

Box Brownie wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

davidedric wrote:

TIA

From https://download-center.dxo.com/Support/docs/PhotoLab_v5/user-guide/PL5_manual_EN.pdf

o The DxO FilmPack Time Machine button opens the Time Machine window showing an illustrated history of photography related to events, sorted by decades, from the 19th century to the years 2010-2020.

o Style - Toning: Duplicates the Style - Toning palette in the Color palette. It allows you to apply a number of tonings.

o Filter: Simulates lens filters.

o DxO FilmPack Grain (PC) / Grain (Mac): Lets you apply a specific grain type from more than sixty films, color as well as B&W, and to set the size of the grain.

o Fine Contrast: adds the Fine Contrast slider to the Contrast sub-palette of DxO PhotoLab.

o Channel mixer for black and white (PC) / Channel mixer (Mac) (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): Lets you set and refine black & white conversion according to your taste by acting on the additive colors (RGB: red, green, and blue) as well as on the subtractive colors (CMY: cyan, magenta, and yellow).

o Creative vignetting (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): With this palette, you can modify the amount of light on the edges of an image in order to draw attention to a subject in the center.

o Blur (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): With this palette, you can create a blurry effect around your subject with Vignetting, and with Soft Focus, you can apply a diffusion effect to your images.

o Frame (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): Lets you place a frame around your image; different styles are available.

o Texture (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): Allows you to simulate scratches or tears on analog film negatives.

o Light leak (available only in the ELITE Edition of DxO FilmPack): Lets you reproduce the effects of aging analog film negatives or problems related to accidental exposure of analog film to light

Thank you......will read up on those 'released' features/functions

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads