Advice on a new Compact P&S Camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Ted States New Member • Posts: 1
Advice on a new Compact P&S Camera

Hi all! I am looking for advice / help on purchasing a new P&S compact camera. I have had a Sony Cybershot G WX 220 for several years. It has produced great photos, but now, there appears to be dust ( or the like ) inside the lens, which produces 'dots', hence I am trying to replace it. This particular model is no longer available, so I went for what I thought would be the newer version - DSC -W830. Disappointment. The issue isn't the quality, but the startup / write time between taking the 1st photo and when it is ready to take the second - it is SO slow by comparison to my old camera. The question is simply, can anyone recommend a fast start-up / fast 'reload' compact P&S camera, for me to look into?  My Cyber G was ( if I recall ) around the $200 mark - some years ago - so I don't want to get into the $1000's  for a pocket camera. Neither does it have to be Sony, but if anyone has a camera they can recommend, I'd be glad to hear about it. Thanks!

Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 1,913
Re: Advice on a new Compact P&S Camera

Hi, man. Get the sony rx100 1, new or used. New it should be around $400, i think? There are several versions, but essentially it's the same camera, get whichever you can find around or on www.

The rx100 is like any other cybershot, only better and a bit(ok, a lot) thicker when compared to a W or G series cam.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Starny Senior Member • Posts: 1,053

Some of the better P&S cameras have really jumped up in price.  Most of the top models are now $800 - $1,300.

If you're not into Sony or Canon, check out some of the Panasonics.

I had a Panasonic LX10 (not the 100) for a short while and it was quite nice. The only reason I sold it was due to small size.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx10-lx15

Starny's gear list:Starny's gear list
Ricoh GR III
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 21,757

Ted States wrote:

... I have had a Sony Cybershot G WX 220 for several years. It has produced great photos, but now, there appears to be dust ( or the like ) inside the lens, which produces 'dots', hence I am trying to replace it. This particular model is no longer available, so I went for what I thought would be the newer version - DSC -W830. Disappointment. The issue isn't the quality, but the startup / write time between taking the 1st photo and when it is ready to take the second - it is SO slow by comparison to my old camera.

That's not all. The W830 seems to be a downgrade of the WX220 in almost every way:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-WX220-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-W830

Maybe you should just look for a lightly used WX220.

Foggy8 Forum Member • Posts: 85

Ted States wrote:

Hi all! I am looking for advice / help on purchasing a new P&S compact camera. I have had a Sony Cybershot G WX 220 for several years. It has produced great photos, but now, there appears to be dust ( or the like ) inside the lens, which produces 'dots', hence I am trying to replace it. This particular model is no longer available, so I went for what I thought would be the newer version - DSC -W830. Disappointment. The issue isn't the quality, but the startup / write time between taking the 1st photo and when it is ready to take the second - it is SO slow by comparison to my old camera. The question is simply, can anyone recommend a fast start-up / fast 'reload' compact P&S camera, for me to look into? My Cyber G was ( if I recall ) around the $200 mark - some years ago - so I don't want to get into the $1000's for a pocket camera. Neither does it have to be Sony, but if anyone has a camera they can recommend, I'd be glad to hear about it. Thanks!

It depends on how small and what kind of zoom range you want. There are a lot of good new and used cameras with a 1/1.7" or 1" sensor that are small and will give you great results.

SirLataxe
SirLataxe Veteran Member • Posts: 4,225

One of the most versatile and good value cameras of the small and multi-purpose compact P&S  type, with very good IQ for its type and a range of genuinely useful functions, is an Olympus TG model. The current model is a TG6 but any of TG 4, 5 or 6 perform well. TG4s can be had in very good condition 2nd hand from ebay and the like for not that much.

Since dust in the camera seems to be your main reason for wanting another camera, an Olympus TG might be a doubly worthy candidate. They are genuinely dust, water and shock proof.  I take mine on most days when I walk the dogs (every day) in all weathers and conditions, including those involving lots of rain, mud or sand.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-tg-6-review

There's also a range of useful accessories, including a ring flash and similar longer-light gubbins that are mounted around the lens and use the camera's built-in lights to provide fill-in light of various intensities without harsh shadows.

I had a TG4 for some years (which remains not just functional but smart-looking) and currently use a TG6 for it's increased abilities over the TG4 in "microscope" mode (used for extreme close-ups, including those given a deep DoF via focus stacking).

SirLataxe

Redhenry Contributing Member • Posts: 639

SirLataxe wrote:

One of the most versatile and good value cameras of the small and multi-purpose compact P&S type, with very good IQ for its type and a range of genuinely useful functions, is an Olympus TG model. The current model is a TG6 but any of TG 4, 5 or 6 perform well. TG4s can be had in very good condition 2nd hand from ebay and the like for not that much.

Ken Rockwell has been very enthusiastic about the TG range, too. Review is easy to find on his website, kenrockwell.com

Redhenry's gear list:Redhenry's gear list
Sony RX100 II Apple iPhone 13 Pro
Neverlost99
Neverlost99 Contributing Member • Posts: 882

I shopped a long time and went LX10.. very small and slippery is the ownly downside  I took it out last night in Asheville and it's a gem for 1" 1.4 20 mp

-- hide signature --

TJC

Neverlost99's gear list:Neverlost99's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX10 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Nikon Z 40mm F2
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 27,111

Starny wrote:

Some of the better P&S cameras have really jumped up in price. Most of the top models are now $800 - $1,300.

If you're not into Sony or Canon, check out some of the Panasonics.

I had a Panasonic LX10 (not the 100) for a short while and it was quite nice. The only reason I sold it was due to small size.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx10-lx15

Panny  LX100 i or ii  are great  options. I have the Leica version, excellent compact, large sensor, great controls and good lens.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more

Oh, so now the LX100 is a compact P&S? Have you ever seen a sony W series camera, they can fit inside a large wallet.

Sony Mavica FD-71

Actually... Good choice. They should be cheaper to get as well.

Sony Mavica FD-71
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 5,212

Hello...

Of all my cameras - I like the SD880 IMHO. 

Ted States wrote:

Hi all! I am looking for advice / help on purchasing a new P&S compact camera. I have had a Sony Cybershot G WX 220 for several years. It has produced great photos, but now, there appears to be dust ( or the like ) inside the lens, which produces 'dots', hence I am trying to replace it. This particular model is no longer available, so I went for what I thought would be the newer version - DSC -W830. Disappointment. The issue isn't the quality, but the startup / write time between taking the 1st photo and when it is ready to take the second - it is SO slow by comparison to my old camera. The question is simply, can anyone recommend a fast start-up / fast 'reload' compact P&S camera, for me to look into? My Cyber G was ( if I recall ) around the $200 mark - some years ago - so I don't want to get into the $1000's for a pocket camera. Neither does it have to be Sony, but if anyone has a camera they can recommend, I'd be glad to hear about it. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon PowerShot Zoom Canon EOS 7D Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
arrow501 Contributing Member • Posts: 926

What speed is the memory card you are using? If you are using an oldish card it could be the cause of the slow write times.

arrow501's gear list:arrow501's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300

The Canon SD990 is pocket-sized with a 1/1.7” sensor,  and has an optical view finder. Lens is 36-133mm (35mm equivalent). 
If you don’t care about an OVF then the Canon S90, S95, ….etc. series is good and has RAW capability.

Redhenry Contributing Member • Posts: 639

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Hello...

Of all my cameras - I like the SD880 IMHO.

The latest in that series is called, in the UK where I live, the Canon IXUS 285. I think it’s the ELPH 360 in the USA. Goes in a shirt pocket, reasonable zoom, adequate image quality, image stabilisation and doesn’t cost a fortune!

Redhenry's gear list:Redhenry's gear list
Sony RX100 II Apple iPhone 13 Pro
Starny Senior Member • Posts: 1,053

Neverlost99 wrote:

I shopped a long time and went LX10.. very small and slippery is the ownly downside I took it out last night in Asheville and it's a gem for 1" 1.4 20 mp

I said this in my reply (#3).

I really don't know why the LX10 does not get more vibe.

But like the RX100 VII, it just feels too small for my big hands.  And I completely agree, it is pretty slippery, especially in warmer weather.

Starny's gear list:Starny's gear list
Ricoh GR III
RichardSM Regular Member • Posts: 157

Ted States wrote:

I would say just use a smart phone if you have one there good enough for P&S use.

RichardSM's gear list:RichardSM's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot SX610 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +4 more

Some of these pocket compact cameras with huge zoom ranges are actually smaller than most of the new phones.

Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,776

Ted States wrote:

I have to agree with Rambow and think one of the earlier models of the Sony RX100 cameras would be a good choice.

Newer models may have updated features but the original RX100 M1 or any of the older models will still provide great images at a very reasonable price.

Smaug01
Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,039
Moved from Open Talk

(where you got some good feedback already)

I would probably get a previous generation Sony RX100; one with the faster lens, but with not as much zoom range. I've been reading a lot about how the eye-control focus is so great, and since I shoot a lot of people pictures, that would be a great feature.

Since it's previous generation, it would probably be a couple hundred bucks less than the latest one; maybe around $600-700?

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"A book breaks the shackles of time."
-Carl Sagan

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +37 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads