flying crane fly

Started 3 months ago | Photos
macrouser
macrouser Senior Member • Posts: 3,350
flying crane fly

I saw this just about 3 cm off the ground hovering above the leaf.  They do not hover well.  They jig up and down and side to side.  I had to see if auto focus would work to get it in the air.

Wings just starting the back stroke.

I really like that I can see how the wings have rotated down so they get lift on the back stroke.

To get the camera to auto focus on the fly, I set the focus limit switch to close focus only.  The focus mode is set to zone.  That is just a slightly smaller area than wide.  I also tried spot medium for a smaller area.

The camera is set so it will only take a photo if auto focus is in focus on something.   It is not always the thing that I want.

After touch down.

I used spot focus and tried to get the camera at 90 degrees to the fly so as much as possible was in focus.

I used on camera flash.

macrouser's gear list:macrouser's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R III Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
DWL-P Senior Member • Posts: 1,358
Re: flying crane fly

Great capture of a difficult subject, they are very big when spread out so you did well to get these images of a Spotted Crane fly, only ever seen one so far.

macrouser
OP macrouser Senior Member • Posts: 3,350

I have a lot of them in my garden.  I just never tried to get one with the wings moving before.  I just wanted to see if the camera could do it.

macrouser's gear list:macrouser's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R III Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 12,682

my only objection is that the bug is kind of lost in the grass blades, it probably needs heavy cropping to bring the bug closer. thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Nature is under no obligation to make sense to us!!!

TGelgen Regular Member • Posts: 237

Great catch!

TGelgen's gear list:TGelgen's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads