Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?
3

I'm looking for photos form new pixel series, because i'm interested to buy this phone, but first samples i found are not optimistic - looks like new pixel is not much better than older pixel. Zoom photos have lot of noise, they are not spectacular. Even main camera inside room also didn't impress me

Samples 1

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMUs1dVdb2_nZlAwd_4GrqDQWTadtt3S0gzO9pmSJHqKTH0CvM6ewQ7N5M51xPURQ?key=ZHpmMXBYYUE2aHVDbHVJaWxQYVhjTXZGV0Y1dTJB

Samples 2

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPTcPwyUrsJ0Q_TGGGv4wd9JZkJOOK_YmoO8RwdlGkn8Zv10PWSJxcbTKsf9dkgsQ?key=b1htRF9RWm9JcTdsVFBxcHllUXhCNnVmOE1EdUxR

Samples 3

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/93579933

Overall i think photo quality is above my P40 PRO, i expected much more from this phone. Ultra wide is poor, main camera is normal - not bad, but not revolutionary - just similar to older pixels and zoom is still below my expectations.

What You think?

Droo Regular Member • Posts: 264
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?

Not impressive, main really looks like the older Pixels which is pretty pathetic. I am more interested in DNG though. Do they have 50/48 MP stacked DNG?

elmar1 Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?
2

As far as what I read, these demo-phones do not have the latest software, so do probably not represent the latest camerasoftware as well. I'd wait for Monday until the review embargo will be lifted and we can see some real world photos etc.

 elmar1's gear list:elmar1's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Loxia 35
d altman
d altman Contributing Member • Posts: 542
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?

i was surprised by the aperture for all 3 lenses. the main camera i believe is at f/1.85 and the others even smaller. i can’t imagine getting good indoor shots with the telephoto or ultra wide. other smartphone cameras have slightly larger apertures for the main camera. we'll see.

 d altman's gear list:d altman's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Sony ZV-1 Ricoh GR IIIx Sony a9 Sigma fp +9 more
OP Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?

elmar1 wrote:

As far as what I read, these demo-phones do not have the latest software, so do probably not represent the latest camerasoftware as well. I'd wait for Monday until the review embargo will be lifted and we can see some real world photos etc.

Yes, i waiting for monday, but not that optimistic like before. Proably it will end by order Huawei P50 PRO

This is how 3,5x zoom works in this phone - insane 😁

elmar1 Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?

I currently got the p30 pro but the p50 pro wouldn't be an option due to non-working banking apps etc but it sure delivers great photos!

 elmar1's gear list:elmar1's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Loxia 35
YWG Senior Member • Posts: 1,317
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?

Drzewoid wrote:

I'm looking for photos form new pixel series, because i'm interested to buy this phone, but first samples i found are not optimistic - looks like new pixel is not much better than older pixel. Zoom photos have lot of noise, they are not spectacular. Even main camera inside room also didn't impress me

Overall i think photo quality is above my P40 PRO, i expected much more from this phone. Ultra wide is poor, main camera is normal - not bad, but not revolutionary - just similar to older pixels and zoom is still below my expectations.

What You think?

Very limited samples to review. I would say they don't look that much better than what I have now on my ancient S7...which is really disappointing. Will have to see what Monday yields as the embargo lifts. Sony is teasing something camera focused too.

I can't say I am surprised however. The S21, these Chinese phones with 1/1.28 to 1/1.5 sensors didn't look great either.

 YWG's gear list:YWG's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Canon PowerShot G5 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II
OP Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?

Drzewoid wrote:

Overall i think photo quality is above my P40 PRO*

*BELOW! My mistake 😅

OP Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?

elmar1 wrote:

I currently got the p30 pro but the p50 pro wouldn't be an option due to non-working banking apps etc but it sure delivers great photos!

Huawei released last time Curve Pay app. It works with most of banks and allow payments by NFC. You can check this.

OP Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?

YWG wrote:

Very limited samples to review. I would say they don't look that much better than what I have now on my ancient S7...which is really disappointing. Will have to see what Monday yields as the embargo lifts. Sony is teasing something camera focused too.

Yes, of course. I'm waiting still for real full reviews, but embargo is suspicious - if pixel 6 have realy great camera, why google is afraid to show us samples?

I can't say I am surprised however. The S21, these Chinese phones with 1/1.28 to 1/1.5 sensors didn't look great either.

Of course, but Samsung is not known from good quality photos. Pixel does.

dazed1 Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?
4

Really? judging an unreleased phone, rom in store photos, with camera lenses full of smudges most likely, with an non updated software?

https://mobile.twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1451643629139906573?s=20

Also that 3.5x shot is nothing impressive, this are   5x shots, and are really impressive,

MI11U 5x GCAM

MI11U 5x GCAM

teemodk Senior Member • Posts: 1,406
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?
1

To me it looks like the demo phone shot without any kind of HDR+ engaged. Might be disabled so the phone just shoot a single frame. If that's true, then the pictures are pretty okay.

Wait for the real thing, the hardware should be able to kill any other phone with the right firmware.

OP Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?
1

dazed1 wrote:

Really? judging an unreleased phone, rom in store photos, with camera lenses full of smudges most likely, with an non updated software?

Second set of samples was on updated software, and yes - i judge photo quality from photos which i see. Before i saw one picture from iphone 13 pro max and said their processing is still the same as 12 pro and oversharpend - i wasn't wrong.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1451643629139906573?s=20

Also that 3.5x shot is nothing impressive, this are 5x shots, and are really impressive,

Look again at my 3,5x sample Yes, yours 5x samples are great, but i can do the same with P40 PRO. Also i had MI10 PRO and MI11 Ultra - i really know what these cameras can do, and still using P40 PRO - i'm searching for phone with better camera than P40 PRO and currently that phone not exist.

I've always attacked by Xiaomi users who want prove me their xiami is the best, but they never use huawei, so... This samples are from P40 PRO and look similar to yours, but it's  not the best zoom from Huawei . Mate 30 PRO zoom is even better - i compared Mate 30 PRO zoom to MI10 PRO and i could zoom 3x photo to 5x size in Xiaomi and still have better photo quality and details(and of course much wider photo). GCAM in xiami improved zoom, but still not above Mate 30 PRO. This is why i think P50 PRO is unmatched zoom and i'm 90% sure im right. Sorry. PS. P40 PRO samples are in auto mode, not RAW, so can be even better

Panino Manino
Panino Manino Contributing Member • Posts: 580
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?
1

If there's noise it means there's little noise reduction and this would be seem by people here as a good thing.

But don't matter, 99% of people will just install GCam anyway, right?
Just install GCam and tweak it until it matches your tastes.

dazed1 Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?

Drzewoid wrote:

dazed1 wrote:

Really? judging an unreleased phone, rom in store photos, with camera lenses full of smudges most likely, with an non updated software?

Second set of samples was on updated software, and yes - i judge photo quality from photos which i see. Before i saw one picture from iphone 13 pro max and said their processing is still the same as 12 pro and oversharpend - i wasn't wrong.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1451643629139906573?s=20

Also that 3.5x shot is nothing impressive, this are 5x shots, and are really impressive,

Look again at my 3,5x sample Yes, yours 5x samples are great, but i can do the same with P40 PRO. Also i had MI10 PRO and MI11 Ultra - i really know what these cameras can do, and still using P40 PRO - i'm searching for phone with better camera than P40 PRO and currently that phone not exist.

I've always attacked by Xiaomi users who want prove me their xiami is the best, but they never use huawei, so... This samples are from P40 PRO and look similar to yours, but it's not the best zoom from Huawei . Mate 30 PRO zoom is even better - i compared Mate 30 PRO zoom to MI10 PRO and i could zoom 3x photo to 5x size in Xiaomi and still have better photo quality and details(and of course much wider photo). GCAM in xiami improved zoom, but still not above Mate 30 PRO. This is why i think P50 PRO is unmatched zoom and i'm 90% sure im right. Sorry. PS. P40 PRO samples are in auto mode, not RAW, so can be even better

I agree in the iPhone processing being just bad

About the Mate 30 pro, please man don't even think to compare 8MP 1/4.0 sensor with 1/2 48MP 5x optical its just not even worth discussing. Mi 10 is completely different phone vs Mi10U/Mi11U.

My friend has p40 pro, its good for sure one of the best, sadly when you put GCAM on this new big Samsung/Sony sensors its just not enough

OP Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?
2

iend has p40 pro, its good for sure one of the best, sadly when you put GCAM on this new big Samsung/Sony sensors its just not enough

You are right if we talk about standard 12 megapixel output from Huawei, but no if we talk about 50 MPIX AI mode. This photos are from P40 PRO - straight from camera without any RAW developing and additional editing. In right hands MI11 Ultra is powerfull photo tool, but Huawei gives me that all in auto mode.

OP Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?
2

dazed1 wrote:

I agree in the iPhone processing being just bad

About the Mate 30 pro, please man don't even think to compare 8MP 1/4.0 sensor with 1/2 48MP 5x optical its just not even worth discussing. Mi 10 is completely different phone vs Mi10U/Mi11U.

Really?

And now imagine P50 PRO WAY better 3,5x zoom

dazed1 Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?

Drzewoid wrote:

iend has p40 pro, its good for sure one of the best, sadly when you put GCAM on this new big Samsung/Sony sensors its just not enough

You are right if we talk about standard 12 megapixel output from Huawei, but no if we talk about 50 MPIX AI mode. This photos are from P40 PRO - straight from camera without any RAW developing and additional editing. In right hands MI11 Ultra is powerfull photo tool, but Huawei gives me that all in auto mode.

I have no doubt p40 pro has great sensor, great looking images

elmar1 Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?
2

I am sorry, but I don't get your point.. If you are considering other options like the Pixel 6 pro, why not wait what the final reviews are out and then compare? For me it seems that you are quite satisfied with the huawei phones, so I think your choice is made

 elmar1's gear list:elmar1's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Loxia 35
Panino Manino
Panino Manino Contributing Member • Posts: 580
Re: Google Pixel 6 PRO not as good as we thought?
1

I like @Drzewoid way of this this discussion.
You can have "a tool with GCam" or you can have "a good camera".

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads