ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2022

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Almazar80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,641
ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2022

I just purchased this program (updated from 2021).  It has some nice improvements but has a similar problem that plagued Ultimate 2021.  If the face detection and if the indexer is utilizing the face detection while the computer is idle, the program crashes at startup.  You can see this when the "initializing" message is displayed on the lower right corner of the program.  The program then hangs and then crashes.  In this case, I deleted the catalog and turned off face detection.  I also disabled Facial Recognition.  Now the program starts up properly.  Since facial recognition is one of the key improvements in this version, is there a way to enable these features and not have the program crash on startup?  I may have too many faces in my pictures collection, but but it should not crash.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 22,113
Re: ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2022

Almazar80 wrote:

I just purchased this program (updated from 2021). It has some nice improvements but has a similar problem that plagued Ultimate 2021. If the face detection and if the indexer is utilizing the face detection while the computer is idle, the program crashes at startup. You can see this when the "initializing" message is displayed on the lower right corner of the program. The program then hangs and then crashes. In this case, I deleted the catalog and turned off face detection. I also disabled Facial Recognition. Now the program starts up properly. Since facial recognition is one of the key improvements in this version, is there a way to enable these features and not have the program crash on startup? I may have too many faces in my pictures collection, but but it should not crash.

Have you contacted Customer support? (not the user's forum, real Cust support) As a Landscape and nature photographer, I'm not much of a face detection user so I don't know how it works or should work.  But a crash at any time is not an optimal way to handle a discrepancy.

They might already be aware of it and are working on a solution, or maybe there is a temporary work around.

Now is the time to report this kind of stuff, ACDSee tends to make that first update after the Holidays the one that corrects any errors and omission discovered after release whenever possible.

-- hide signature --
 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
OP Almazar80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,641

Thanks for the comments, though the 2021 version had a similar bug.  It displayed a box that you had to click and then the program crashed.  This year's version just crashes.  Well, I turned it off and it's stable.  I will report this crash again (the crash generates a memory dump).  We'll see if it is gone in next year's update.

hectorsm Regular Member • Posts: 281

For whatever reason, it hasn't affected me. I've been using the trail version for about 3 week now and I have not seen the issue you described so far.  I have 54,000 photos, many of them with people.

What are your PC specs?  I wonder if this feature is big on resources.

Hector

hectorsm's gear list:hectorsm's gear list
Nikon D600
RSTP14 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,163
-- hide signature --

Roger

RSTP14's gear list:RSTP14's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more

Thanks for replying.  I have a Ryzen 3900x with 64gb of memory.  The crashes were new with the 2021 version (Ultimate 2020 did not have this problem).  Following suggestions from users, I turned off the face detection on 2021 and the program was stable after that.  I installed 2022 and initially, the program worked fine.  A day or so later, it started crashing after startup.  After turning off the features I noted above (and after deleting the catalog that was generated), the program is stable again.  I'll have to induce a crash and mail acdsee the crash dump one of these days.  At the moment, the program is working well.

I do have jpegs and raws from various generations of cameras (more than 54K accumulated over the years).

hectorsm Regular Member • Posts: 281

Almazar80 wrote:

Thanks for replying. I have a Ryzen 3900x with 64gb of memory. The crashes were new with the 2021 version (Ultimate 2020 did not have this problem). Following suggestions from users, I turned off the face detection on 2021 and the program was stable after that. I installed 2022 and initially, the program worked fine. A day or so later, it started crashing after startup. After turning off the features I noted above (and after deleting the catalog that was generated), the program is stable again. I'll have to induce a crash and mail acdsee the crash dump one of these days. At the moment, the program is working well.

I do have jpegs and raws from various generations of cameras (more than 54K accumulated over the years).

Are you running Windows 7?  A fixed was provided very recently (Oct 6) for a very similar issue.  See post #7 below.  You'll need to redownload and install the new package. Even if you're not using Window 7, it might not hurt to try out the new patched version.

https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-category/acdsee-ultimate/57452-acdsee-ultimate-2022-freezes-in-people-and-media-mode

good luck,

Hector

hectorsm's gear list:hectorsm's gear list
Nikon D600

I rebuilt the catalog and turned on face detection, but not indexing while the computer is idle.  I disabled facial recognition.  So far, the program has worked without crashing at startup.  Thank you for your response.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads