Lightroom Focus point plug-in -- has anyone used this

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,287
Lightroom Focus point plug-in -- has anyone used this

https://lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/

I'm always skeptical of plug-ins from independents and smaller developers but wanted to know if anyone has used this before.

I do a lot of focus bracketing for my landscapes and urbex, and this would save me time (versus using NX Studio to figure out the foucus point, and then going back to ACR/Lightroom to tag photos as such).

I'm surprised this function isn't built into LR/LRClassic some how.

-- hide signature --

(If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread, so please PM me if you have a question.)

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z6 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +9 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 23,329
Re: Lightroom Focus point plug-in -- has anyone used this

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I'm always skeptical of plug-ins from independents and smaller developers but wanted to know if anyone has used this before.

I do a lot of focus bracketing for my landscapes and urbex, and this would save me time (versus using NX Studio to figure out the foucus point, and then going back to ACR/Lightroom to tag photos as such).

People were using it successfully last I remember. Says it works with LR5 and higher. I tried it with LR6 but didn't really like it so never tried it with LR7 or higher. There was nothing wrong with it, I just didn't want or need another plug-in for that.  If I need to see a focus point/s I use Canon's DPP.

Give it a try.

Is this a common thing? Do others like DXO, C1, etc have a built in AF point/s option?

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
OP sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,287

Zeee wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

People were using it successfully last I remember. Says it works with LR5 and higher. I tried it with LR6 but didn't really like it so never tried it with LR7 or higher. There was nothing wrong with it, I just didn't want or need another plug-in for that. If I need to see a focus point/s I use Canon's DPP.

Give it a try.

Is this a common thing? Do others like DXO, C1, etc have a built in AF point/s option?

I'm not sure about other apps, but I know the OEM app does, which makes sense, but there's a lot of flipping back and forth (as I sometimes use the focus point data in the keywording process).  I mean it's got to be stored in the RAW file somewhere and most mfrs have SDKs (which include the RAW file format I believe, I know Nikon does) so extracting it shouldn't be hard to implement for Adobe and others.

-- hide signature --

(If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread, so please PM me if you have a question.)

Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z6 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +9 more

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Zeee wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

People were using it successfully last I remember. Says it works with LR5 and higher. I tried it with LR6 but didn't really like it so never tried it with LR7 or higher. There was nothing wrong with it, I just didn't want or need another plug-in for that. If I need to see a focus point/s I use Canon's DPP.

Give it a try.

I'm not sure about other apps, but I know the OEM app does, which makes sense, but there's a lot of flipping back and forth (as I sometimes use the focus point data in the keywording process).

Yes if you check a lot then it's a valuable tool. Give it a try and let use know.

Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,518

I've had a version of that plug in since the days when I used Lightroom and that hasn't happened, in anger, for years.

It says in that link that it works with Lightroom V5 and later, whereas I'm sure I used it before V5 so perhaps it's been slightly updated.

On the other hand, the list of supported cameras makes me think otherwise. The only ones listed are all quite old. For example it lists Nikon's mirrorless offerings as V1, J1 etc. No mention of the Zs and they've been around for about four (?) years.

By all means download and try it, it did work for me, although only in the Library module, if my memory serves me correctly but don't be surprised if your version of Lightroom is too new.

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

Jestertheclown wrote:

I've had a version of that plug in since the days when I used Lightroom and that hasn't happened, in anger, for years.

It says in that link that it works with Lightroom V5 and later, whereas I'm sure I used it before V5 so perhaps it's been slightly updated.

On the other hand, the list of supported cameras makes me think otherwise. The only ones listed are all quite old. For example it lists Nikon's mirrorless offerings as V1, J1 etc. No mention of the Zs and they've been around for about four (?) years.

By all means download and try it, it did work for me, although only in the Library module, if my memory serves me correctly but don't be surprised if your version of Lightroom is too new.

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

Well, if it doesn't list the newer files I might not even try, because the codec is probably different and likely not supported if it sounds like they haven't updated it to feature any of the Z cameras, unless it uses LR to extract the EXIF data.

I mean NX is fine, it just requires me to flip back and forth when importing or tagging (keywording) photos, which luckily only needs to be done once.

-- hide signature --

lacogada Contributing Member • Posts: 829

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I but wanted to know if anyone has used this before.

I tried it probably 5 years ago but if I recall it was a hassle to use, as it did not stay on or enabled.

gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 2,215

I have had this installed since before the subscription model started. I only use it occasionally, but it certainly worked with the latest Lightroom Classic this summer sometime. I have a Canon RP which wasn't on their list of supported cameras the last time I checked, but it still works fine with it.

It was free. Download it and try it.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Gunnar Liland New Member • Posts: 9

I am using it now. Works fine

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Gunnar

Gunnar Liland's gear list:Gunnar Liland's gear list
Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
ppage
ppage Senior Member • Posts: 2,352

I used the plug-in for a few years but as I found myself doing more and more manual focussing for landscapes I didn't bother reinstalling it when I bought a new computer a couple of years ago and now I have a mirrorless camera which isn't supported.  But when I used it it worked very well.

OK thank you everyone for the input.  It sounds like it may not have been updated for the Z cameras (and thus the new codec) so it may not work.  I'll just keep using the NX studio for figuring out the focus point.

-- hide signature --

ppage wrote:

I used the plug-in for a few years but as I found myself doing more and more manual focussing for landscapes I didn't bother reinstalling it when I bought a new computer a couple of years ago and now I have a mirrorless camera which isn't supported. But when I used it it worked very well.

Don't know about other brands but with Canon and using AI Servo it can pretty much useless. That includes Canons DPP. If tracking an object like a bird and it swoops up it can still be on focus depending on how you set up Tracking Sensitivity.

This is when using single point or using expansion AF modes. If it's set to a negative value it will maintain focus for second to give you time to get the AF back the subject. At 10 or more fames per second it can be like a lifetime. Also in expansion mode Canon does not show any outer point/s that were activated to assist the centre point. It only shows the centre point, which is the primary AF point. It's not like a mini Zone AF as has been stated a few times. Expansion AF has nothing in common with Zone AF.

Of course this has changes that with the new mirrorless cameras have great Zone AF, which did use with my DLRS's. Both ML and DLSR show all active AF points in Zone AF.

The AF point is no where near the bird after the first shot during this burst sequence. All the frames are usable. These are just un-processed screen shots.

Zeee wrote:

ppage wrote:

I used the plug-in for a few years but as I found myself doing more and more manual focussing for landscapes I didn't bother reinstalling it when I bought a new computer a couple of years ago and now I have a mirrorless camera which isn't supported. But when I used it it worked very well.

Don't know about other brands but with Canon and using AI Servo it can pretty much useless. That includes Canons DPP. If tracking an object like a bird and it swoops up it can still be on focus depending on how you set up Tracking Sensitivity.

This is when using single point or using expansion AF modes. If it's set to a negative value it will maintain focus for second to give you time to get the AF back the subject. At 10 or more fames per second it can be like a lifetime. Also in expansion mode Canon does not show any outer point/s that were activated to assist the centre point. It only shows the centre point, which is the primary AF point. It's not like a mini Zone AF as has been stated a few times. Expansion AF has nothing in common with Zone AF.

Of course this has changes that with the new mirrorless cameras have great Zone AF, which did use with my DLRS's. Both ML and DLSR show all active AF points in Zone AF.

The AF point is no where near the bird after the first shot during this burst sequence. All the frames are usable. These are just un-processed screen shots.

I think I mixed up frames 2 and 3 but we get the point.

Just to add to this. Unfortunately Canon had all types of links to articles and blogs about all of this stuff. When they went to the R system they dropped them all. I wish I still had references.

Anyway, for Canon owners. Rudy Winston once said IS Servo work exactly the same way and One Shot does. So I tested it. I put my camera on One Shot, expansion AF. I picked a plain wall with no contrast.

I moved the AF point around. Sometimes the centre point only would illuminate and sometimes an outer point did. When that happened the centre also illuminated. The sequence was the outer point illuminated first followed by the centre point. This told me outer point kicked in to tell the centre it was are good to go for AF. Later in DPP you could see that the centre point and an outer point (usually only one) were both activated.

As I said in AI Servo it never shows which outer points were activated, only the centre point. I don't know why Canon set it up this way but we are supposed to trust it is doing its job. This confirmed to me when in expansion mode the centre point is still always the primary AF point.

In Zone AF it shows every AF that was active when the shot was taken. There is no primary AF point unless you set it up for initial AF. When it achieves AF it drops out as primary and becomes part of the AF cluster. Take your finger off the Shutter or BBF and the process repeats.

nor70 Regular Member • Posts: 263

There is a list of cameras that are supported by "Show Focus Points" on the web site,

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads