The EX ZR800 still works

Started 7 months ago | Photos
rube39 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,454
The EX ZR800 still works

Took these upon my return to Van Isle recently, on a cold and cloudy day at the govt. whorf. Glad to see the Casio still works, same as ever.

-- hide signature --

Rube

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 5,289
Re: The EX ZR800 still works

Hi Rube, good to see some more of Van Isle!

At first I thought your pics looked a bit dull, and wondered whether your camera’s time setting was correct, at about 11:15 a.m. GMT, which could be about 3:15 a.m. in BC. But then I realised my computer screen setting was low. When the screen was brightened, all three looked interesting shots. But I wonder about the purpose of the tall paired masts on the fishing boats?

My ZR800 is still going strong, although the zoom is beginning to get a bit ‘sticky’ and sometimes needs a couple of goes to get the right setting. However, I managed to get a ZR850 as a ‘spare’, for when the ZR800 finally gives up.

I also got a ZR5100 2 years ago, to complement the ZR5100 with a wider, slightly faster lens, tilting screen, and fairly similar controls and menus. And both Casios have ClearViewer attachments for eye level framing. It’s a lot lighter and less bulky than the Panasonic LX7 with 18mm accessory lens that I previously took on travels - and which doesn’t have the range of time lapse settings which the Casios have, that I use when travelling in vehicles through ’new’ cities, to log our route if I see something worth revisiting, and remind me of disparate neighbours, as here in Kyoto.

But, sadly, in succesive lockdowns over the last 18 months, most of my photography has been limited to garden flowers, and taken with an iPhone. ;-(

Cyril

Cyril Catt's gear list:Cyril Catt's gear list
Canon PowerShot TX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max +3 more
OP rube39 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,454

Cyril Catt wrote:

Hey Cyril, thanks for viewing and commenting.

I used to use the Casio (the last in a succession of Casios) a lot when we lived in Japan, and so I brought it back with me to our 'permanent place' on Van Isle. Because of the panic, we haven't been able to get into Canada for 2 years, and so the Casio remained unused, as we did not bring it with us to Northern Spain, where we now reside most of the year.

In Spain, the even smaller (but with a larger, 2/3 sensor) Fuji XQ2 serves the same function that the Casio did in Japan: that of a pocket walk around.

Our truck is even older than the ZR800!

Rube

rube39 wrote:

Cyril Catt wrote:

Hey Cyril, thanks for viewing and commenting.

I used to use the Casio (the last in a succession of Casios) a lot when we lived in Japan, and so I brought it back with me to our 'permanent place' on Van Isle. Because of the panic, we haven't been able to get into Canada for 2 years, and so the Casio remained unused, as we did not bring it with us to Northern Spain, where we now reside most of the year.

In Spain, the even smaller (but with a larger, 2/3 sensor) Fuji XQ2 serves the same function that the Casio did in Japan: that of a pocket walk around.

Our truck is even older than the ZR800!

Rube

I note that the XQ2's double sized sensor area comes with 75% of the number of effective pixels and a much wider aperture, so it should be better in dim light than the ZR800. But the ZR800 has much longer zoom reach and battery life.

The two seem designed for relatively different uses  so it's  hard to judge how the Casio's several forms of versatility with merged bursts using an inbuilt second processor, and its high speed and time lapse recordings compare.

Current XQ2's  seem for sale are at about double the price of my Casio when new, whilst there seem no ZR800s for sale today.

But with mobile phone cameras gaining wider and longer reach, and greater capability through IT , I think it's getting about time I traded in my current 6 y.o. phone. But I'd like to  work out some form of VF to enable eye level framing and overcome screen reflections and washouts - similar to the ClearViewer I have on my Casios.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 22,390

ZR 800 + Clearviewer still my day-to-day  camera.

I say: "When you find a winner, stick with it."

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

>>ZR 800 + Clearviewer still my day-to-day camera.

I say: "When you find a winner, stick with it."<<

My wife, who was once a professional photographer in Japan, currently uses our ZR800 has her main camera, citing its size and reach.

-- hide signature --

Rube

[rube39, you were replying to Erik Ohlson, not me]

rube39 wrote: >>ZR 800 + Clearviewer still my day-to-day camera.

I say: "When you find a winner, stick with it."<<

My wife, who was once a professional photographer in Japan, currently uses our ZR800 has her main camera, citing its size and reach.

...and it's my 'go to' "camera" for versatility over a wide range of situations.

But if I know I'm going to face cramped, dim, situations, the ZR5100 has advantages.

And for quick everyday 'note' shots, or for recording garden flowers etc., to send to others, the iPhone 6s+ is acceptable, but likely to be replaced by a newer version with better dim light capability. (I'll stay with an iPhone because my ageing brain is too slow to adapt to another system; and my technical advisors - son, grandsons - also have iPhones.)

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 6,285

Hello...

Beautiful photographs - thank you for sharing. 

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon PowerShot Zoom Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel T7 +4 more

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Hello...

Beautiful photographs - thank you for sharing.

Thank YOU for viewing and commenting.

-- hide signature --

Rube

kcdogger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,730

Surprised to find this thread. I have a brand new EX ZR800, bought as a back up for my EX ZR700 and never used. - maybe 3-5 clicks on it. Inspiring that they are still around and used. Gotta get mine out, I guess. They were great little cameras.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Olympus TG-6 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +29 more
kcdogger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,730

Erik - So glad to see you are still posting and shooting.  I got my Casios based upon your posts.  My EX ZR 800 is still brand new.  The EX ZR700 never did give out.

Peace.

Jphn

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Olympus TG-6 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads