Just For Fun: Assumption about the “Z” mount name origins.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
MIC37 Contributing Member • Posts: 693
Just For Fun: Assumption about the “Z” mount name origins.

I was trying to find a logical explanation for the use of the letter “Z” as the mount name.

Looks like the letter “Z” is “N” rotated 90° clockwise.

SushiRyu Regular Member • Posts: 203
Re: Just For Fun: Assumption about the “Z” mount name origins.

That’s cute! I just assumed it was because it hadn’t been used before. I’m sure at some point when Nikon had the F, Sony had had the E, and Canon was using EF all at the same time someone realized that maybe a new letter would be better than E, F, or a combination of those 2. Z is futuristic (like Gen Z, etc).

Can you imagine being in a focus group about which letter to use for a camera mount name?

SushiRyu's gear list:SushiRyu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon Z6 II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,535

MIC37 wrote:

I was trying to find a logical explanation for the use of the letter “Z” as the mount name.

If you think there's actually something to it... what's the explanation for the letter F for the mount name?  How about S for the rangefinder cameras?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-E3 +39 more
Edward_Thomas
Edward_Thomas Forum Member • Posts: 60
Sony was "A"

So Nikon picked "Z"

(Which is pronounced "Zee." You don't say "Ped" for "P," right? )

Re: Sony was "A"

Edward_Thomas wrote:

So Nikon picked "Z"

I don't know.  Have people started using "Dead" for D?  

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Edward_Thomas

michaeladawson wrote:

Edward_Thomas wrote:

So Nikon picked "Z"

I don't know. Have people started using "Dead" for D?

Exactly!

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 5,773

Hi,

I was thinking the same thing. I always figured then letters came from translated Japanese using the first letter of the English equivalent word.

Like Type K for the second series of F mount lenses.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Pentax 645D Nikon Df +21 more

Hi,

Zed is an older phonetic for the letter Z. We could update that and use Zebra. That's what I call it.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume

Hi,

The older phonetic for D was Dog. Delta is what's current.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer

Z6User
Z6User Contributing Member • Posts: 702

MIC37 wrote:

Z is the last letter of the alphabet, and it could be seen as the last mount, as it has the shortest flange to sensor distance.

Alternatively it’s their way to get the English speaking world fighting with itself. Zee. Zed. Zee. Zed. Neeekon. Nikon. Nighkon. Neeekon Zee. Nikon Zed. Nighkon Zee.

Z6User's gear list:Z6User's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +3 more
Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,548

Z, zed as we Canadians pronounce it, is the last letter of the Latin alphabet. It might be a statement from Nikon that this is the last mount someone need in the 35mm format. It is so large and good that no other mount is needed for 35mm Nikons any more.

Best to all, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

The older phonetic for D was Dog. Delta is what's current.

Stan

That is true Stan.  Perhaps, you may have missed my subtle dig at Nikon's DSLR product lineup.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

JohnNewman
JohnNewman Contributing Member • Posts: 945

Edward_Thomas wrote:

So Nikon picked "Z"

Or instead of being insular, you could consider most of the rest of the world may have an alternative view?

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/10/why-do-the-british-pronounce-z-as-zed/

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Nikon Z50 Nikon DX 18-140mm F3.5-6.3 VR Apple iPhone 13 Pro
Lance B
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 33,676

JohnNewman wrote:

Edward_Thomas wrote:

So Nikon picked "Z"

Or instead of being insular, you could consider most of the rest of the world may have an alternative view?

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/10/why-do-the-british-pronounce-z-as-zed/

Good find. Being Australian, we use Zed as well and find it nicer than Zee, which sounds farcical for a camera name, IMO.

The letters B = Bee, C = Cee, D = Dee etc mean to me that there is a lead on to the next letter coming after that particular letter. Zed at the end of the alphabet indicates the end of the alphabet.

As for why Nikon used it? Like another poster suggested, it is the end of the line for the mount, the last and final mount, the best mount. Although, I do like the idea of the "N" being turned 90 degrees clockwise and becoming "Z"

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Z6User
Z6User Contributing Member • Posts: 702

Lance B wrote:

JohnNewman wrote:

Edward_Thomas wrote:

So Nikon picked "Z"

Good find. Being Australian, we use Zed as well and find it nicer than Zee, which sounds farcical for a camera name, IMO.

The letters B = Bee, C = Cee, D = Dee etc mean to me that there is a lead on to the next letter coming after that particular letter. Zed at the end of the alphabet indicates the end of the alphabet.

As for why Nikon used it? Like another poster suggested, it is the end of the line for the mount, the last and final mount, the best mount. Although, I do like the idea of the "N" being turned 90 degrees clockwise and becoming "Z"

I prefer not think of the Z mount as indicating that Nikon has keeled over onto its side, and expired. Maybe that’s just me.

Z6User's gear list:Z6User's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +3 more

Z6User wrote:

I prefer not think of the Z mount as indicating that Nikon has keeled over onto its side, and expired. Maybe that’s just me.

I had the same thought but didn't post.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,000

MIC37 wrote:

"We can get a volume discount on the 'N's we use for 'Nikon'.. We just turn half of them 90 degrees and voila - instant cost savings! We'll be back in the black in no time!"

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Nikon Z6 Sony a6400 Sony a7C Sony a7 IV Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +18 more
Edward_Thomas

JohnNewman wrote:

Edward_Thomas wrote:

So Nikon picked "Z"

Not really a big fan of globalism... Now if I could get a half decent croissant in NE Oregon I might change my mind. But until then the rest of the world is unimportant, worthless and just wrong: it's "Zee."

Edward_Thomas

Z6User wrote:

Lance B wrote:

JohnNewman wrote:

Edward_Thomas wrote:

So Nikon picked "Z"

Nah, it's the last brand you'll try and the one you'll stick with so it's the last camera system you'll need...

Boudewijn van der Drift
Boudewijn van der Drift Contributing Member • Posts: 854

Edward_Thomas wrote:

So Nikon picked "Z"

That could be a language thing. When kids learn the alphabet, they are taught "Zee" in English, but "Zed" in others, including my own Dutch.

Nobody likes to be told the way they should pronounce letters when talking or thinking in their own language. So depending  language, the "Zed" is adopted or ignored.

Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list:Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads