*** Challenge 324: Colour ***

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Jocksa
OP Jocksa Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Re: Indaiatuba - SP - Brazil

straitouttahell wrote:

This satisfies the brief beautifully but the piece of colour that attracts my attention is the sunset, not the sunflower which feels like it should be the subject. With the permission of the photographer, I've done a 10 minute edit on the sunflower photograph in an attempt to swap the emphasis without changing anything else.

Please feel free to comment whether you agree or disagree.

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +3 more
I Beam Veteran Member • Posts: 3,538
Entry 2 - Dead Rose Head

I took this on Sunday. I went back on Monday looking for a more inspiring composition but by then it was shrivelled up.

Regards

Paul

Iain G Foulds
Iain G Foulds Veteran Member • Posts: 5,176

… The original image has greater depth- visual and emotional. The original is  more intriguing and interesting. The second seems flatter and more processed. The original is simply more original, and captured my attention immediately.

... Still, a fair rendition, and I expect more pleasant to most.

-- hide signature --

... “Photographers have been gaslighted by camera companies to obsess about every leaf on the trees, and have lost sight of the forest.” IGF

Iain G Foulds's gear list:Iain G Foulds's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma SD14 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
ken5678 Regular Member • Posts: 224

Jocksa wrote:

straitouttahell wrote:

This satisfies the brief beautifully but the piece of colour that attracts my attention is the sunset, not the sunflower which feels like it should be the subject. With the permission of the photographer, I've done a 10 minute edit on the sunflower photograph in an attempt to swap the emphasis without changing anything else.

a friendly suggestion, since you have already have an edit in work  ---give a similar, but less intense, pop to the sunflower(s) on the lower left.   see if it creates a bit more continuity to the big sunflower.

Jocksa

Iain G Foulds wrote:

… The original image has greater depth- visual and emotional. The original is more intriguing and interesting. The second seems flatter and more processed. The original is simply more original, and captured my attention immediately.

... Still, a fair rendition, and I expect more pleasant to most.

Thanks Iain (and Ken). The second is flatter, very little of the change is to the flower but rather to the background to stop it stealing the show, which I felt it did. My objective was to allow the eye to settle on the flower without the intensity of the sky pulling it away but it doesn't sound like it resonated with you.

Anyway, don't want it to overtake the main purpose of the thread, which is to get as many entries as possible.

Keep them coming, folks.

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +3 more
ellare Regular Member • Posts: 303

Jocksa,

What a wonderful eye as well as an expert exicution of photo editing. You taught me a valuable lession on this one. Thank you.

Elllare

-- hide signature --

contrast is essential

ellare's gear list:ellare's gear list
Nikon D50 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Nikon D7100 Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +4 more
Jocksa
3 days to go...

With the deadline for entry being Sunday, another from me just to bump the thread up the page. All entries welcome.

Leaf Triptych

-- hide signature --

straitouttahell
straitouttahell Contributing Member • Posts: 785

Jocksa wrote:

straitouttahell wrote:

Jocksa,

first off I want to reiterate how glad I am that you somehow found this photo interesting and wanted to give it your own interpretation. I also want to thank you for submitting your personal edit of it, it sure was interesting to see things with different eyes.

As per the photo, I shot it that way on purpose. I kind of wanted the OOF area to contend the focus of the viewer. In my personal view, it had to suggest that there's more hidden behind things than the aspect you can focus on at one time. But I understand perfectly that this might not please everybody's tastes, and I am grateful that you spent time to suggest a different thing.

straitouttahell's gear list:straitouttahell's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Olympus E-500 Olympus 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 +3 more
ken5678 Regular Member • Posts: 224
edible, but .....

of course you hope all your tomatoes ripen,  but will typically end up with some that didn't.    I think we'll figure out a way to cook something with these.

Jocksa

straitouttahell wrote:

Jocksa,

As per the photo, I shot it that way on purpose. I kind of wanted the OOF area to contend the focus of the viewer. In my personal view, it had to suggest that there's more hidden behind things than the aspect you can focus on at one time. But I understand perfectly that this might not please everybody's tastes, and I am grateful that you spent time to suggest a different thing.

On the contrary, firstly, thank you for agreeing to me editing it.

I mention quite often that I'm a technically minded person, and really what I mean by that is that the technicalities of photography come easy to me, but the artistic side, not so much. I produced an edit because your presentation was different and the easiest way to explain that was through a picture (a thousand words and all that).

One of the concepts that my photography is probably constrained by is having a subject and arranging lighting, focus and composition to make clear what the subject is. It's arguably formulaic, but I'm good with formulae. The idea of taking a photograph such that the subject might be the flower, or the sunset, or something implied, is an artistic level beyond me.

Anyway, I hope it hasn't distracted from the challenge itself. I joined this forum when covid prevented in-person interaction and I guess I treat it like a club night where discussion happens and ideas are exchanged around the structured activity of the evening.

3 days to go, keep 'em coming.

-- hide signature --

Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,544
Blue Plate Special
 Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Brev00
Red
Brev00
Bee Free

A second later, a bee flew into this scene.  Got the pic.  Has good color.  But, I think the bee became as important as the color.  No bee here to distract.

Damnerd
Damnerd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,695
Re: edible, but .....

Chow chow sweet relish.....

tripleC
tripleC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,625
Veggies
 tripleC's gear list:tripleC's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
tripleC
tripleC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,625
Bright Colors

Taken with a D5500 on Effects setting  Vivid

tripleC's gear list:tripleC's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
photoholiko Veteran Member • Posts: 3,438
Re: Paris in Red

Taken from a car waiting for the red light to turn green.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +35 more
Christanne Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re:Entry 1: Pokeweed

9/2021:  Pokeweed, at home.  A Curves adjustment layer and Unsharp Mask were used in Paint Shop Pro 2021.  Not quite in the challenge period but loved these colors.

Re: Entry 2: My Mugs

10/2021:  A pair of plastic mugs.   This shot and my third entry were done indoors, because by this time it was  cold, rainy, and soooo windy!

Re: Entry 3: V-8 Juice

10/2021:   Detail  of a plastic jug of V-8 juice.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads