Rubber ring to zoom 18–135 is completely loose

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
contax4ever Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Rubber ring to zoom 18–135 is completely loose

On my DT 18–135 mm F3.5–5.6 SAM I have to squeeze the ring tightly to operate the zoom. If not, the outside ring just spins freely around barrel. Is this failed adhesive or just loosening of the material? Any suggestions to fix? Thanks.

lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,464
Re: Rubber ring to zoom 18–135 is completely loose

contax4ever wrote:

On my DT 18–135 mm F3.5–5.6 SAM I have to squeeze the ring tightly to operate the zoom. If not, the outside ring just spins freely around barrel. Is this failed adhesive or just loosening of the material? Any suggestions to fix? Thanks.

Over time the rubber material stretches or loses elasticity. I've heard of people using their own adhesive (rubber cement, super glue, other adhesives) to get some "grippiness" back.

This service manual for the SAL18135 lens says the rubber zoom ring part # is 4-294-835-01. There also appears to be a rubber focus ring (part # 4-294-796-01).

If you're in the USA, Sony's official parts supplier is Encompass. Encompass says "This item is currently out of stock. 10/26/2021 or 6 days" for both parts (example). This doesn't sound good.

You can also try searching eBay for the part numbers. I did a brief search and didn't have much luck.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +31 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 16,297

If the rubber is not too loose, you may want to try roll one end up, apply a ring of double sided tape in the exposed area (there are several types of strong double sided tapes, ask at your local hardware store) then roll back the rubber ring over it and do the same at the other end.

If that does not work or can't be done, you then may need to remove the rubber ring, cut two mm or so , apply the tape to the lens and then glue the cut rubber over it.

Doing either of the above may not work but could be worth a try before you replace it.

OP contax4ever Contributing Member • Posts: 623

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. The part is so cheap; think I’ll check back periodically and hope to find it in stock.

SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,300

lehill wrote:

contax4ever wrote:

Over time the rubber material stretches or loses elasticity. I've heard of people using their own adhesive (rubber cement, super glue, other adhesives) to get some "grippiness" back.

This service manual for the SAL18135 lens says the rubber zoom ring part # is 4-294-835-01. There also appears to be a rubber focus ring (part # 4-294-796-01).

If you're in the USA, Sony's official parts supplier is Encompass. Encompass says "This item is currently out of stock. 10/26/2021 or 6 days" for both parts (example). This doesn't sound good.

You can also try searching eBay for the part numbers. I did a brief search and didn't have much luck.

Encompass seems pretty accurate on out of stock lead times vs. NLA. I have ordered out of stock parts from them before, and they shipped when they said they would ship. For the most part, I think out of stock from them are parts they don't, or no-longer, stock in their own warehouse, but know they can still get from Sony when they need them.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads