Can someone please advise me on a video/lighting situation please?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
simonharris Regular Member • Posts: 185
Can someone please advise me on a video/lighting situation please?

Hi All,

Although I work as a stills photographer, I dont do much video at all. I do have a basic grasp of video lighting but the situation I would like to show you is a bit out of my league....

here is a link to a youtube video where sculptor Anthony Howe is showing his latest, amazing kinetic Sculpture. It appears to have been shot at night or done post production, I dont know.

https://youtu.be/H8r_MC20AAM

In case you are weary of links, I shall describe it to you.  His stainless steel sculpture

is well light but the bit that interests me is that the background is pure black.  I mean black without any other speck of colour in it.  The result is stunning and I would love to know how this is done please.  Maybe green screen?

Any takers?

Kind regards,  Simon.

Whereabouts
Whereabouts Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Can someone please advise me on a video/lighting situation please?

It could have been shot in studio prior to moving it outside?

Not green-screen I don't think, the green reflections on the metal surface would be a nightmare to key.

It's definitely a controlled lighting environment, so either in studio or a nigh like you suggested. With the black background you can see the shadows of the sculpture from other parts of the sculpture casting hard shadows and the reflection of light off the metal is seen more as bright lines rather than outside where you can see colours of the sky and trees reflecting.

Cool sculpture.

As for what kinds of lights are being used, I'm not too sure about that. I'm seeing from the shadows one light, positioned just a bit higher than the sculpture to camera left. Other shadows seem to suggest the light is coming from below, I'm not sure if thats in addition to the other light or that the reflections off the metal are creating shadows also.

Whereabouts's gear list:Whereabouts's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR
OP simonharris Regular Member • Posts: 185

Thanks so much, that makes sense!

tcphoto1
tcphoto1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,336

Interesting pieces, the first segment looks to be shot on a lawn in open shade and the tree line in shadow. The next segment is in studio with likely a black fabric backdrop then the final back on the lawn in full daylight. I think that it's all about capturing the movement of the pieces and separating them from the background, not too difficult for most pros.

tcphoto1's gear list:tcphoto1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM +10 more
plumberdp69 Contributing Member • Posts: 768

My guess ...

Maybe using magic mask and alpha in Resolve?

plumberdp69's gear list:plumberdp69's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads