Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

Started 3 months ago | Questions
M West New Member • Posts: 11
Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

Morning,

Its been a while since I have shot digital seriously. About 10 years ago I had a fire sale and had to sell my D700. I have been playing around with random cameras the last few years and I have mostly been shooting with my F5. I enjoy film and would like to continue shooting it, but for now I think I want to refocus on actually shooting, not the developing.

A lot has happened in the digital world and not going to lie, I am a bit lost. I am not completely ignorant. Right now unless someone convinces me otherwise I am planning on sticking with Nikon D system.

With the D700, I loved it. It was my first professional camera and I really loved the heft and feel of it. I know everyone wants lighter cameras, but I enjoy the feel of knowing I could probably break a rock if I dropped the camera on it.

I am a dad so I kind of need a camera that can do it all. For the most part landscape and nature photography, followed by portraiture.

So I was going to create a list of possible options but in the end it seems the D750 is my main option.

So really my question would be, is there anything else I should be looking at outside the D750?

ANSWER:
Nikon D700 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,640
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

I've never stopped taking film (on an F601), still love it - but I have switched to a develop and scan service. Cost is OK if use rates aren't high.

About 3 years ago, Fx finally stopped being priced for pros and I was able to pick up a D750 with 24-120/4 cheap - the ultimate digital holdout, though I've used the better P&S for ages. Of course, you'd be looking at used now they're not really on sale. The camera consistently gives me no excuses to hide my poor technique, fabulous DR. I thought about getting a used D700 too, but felt I wanted more pixels since I already had roughly 12Mp with the film anyway, and was concerned about economic serviceability with the older D700.

In your place, the main things that would have me thinking wider than D-series bodies is whether you wanted smaller and lighter (MFT or aps-c), or else that video was a something you wanted. Plus OVF/EVF. Obviously the development money and hype is with mirrorless systems now, but that leaves Fx as a mature product set with lots of lens options at lots of price points. And, if you're able to stretch a bit on price, the D850 is staggeringly good value - the reviews consistently say it's the best dslr ever. The Z5 is the cheapest Nikon FF mirrorless.

The mirrorless versus dslr debate has done about a million laps here, and the pros and cons are pretty well known if you read here.

 JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,759
D750!

M West wrote:

So I was going to create a list of possible options but in the end it seems the D750 is my main option.

Well, I am a self-confessed D750 aficionado. My D750 does everything I want it to although I bought it mainly for its wonderful low-light performance and superlative autofocus.

They are very cheap nowadays if one buys secondhand which I think is now mandatory. File sizes are not so huge you have to invest in a supercomputer for the postprocessing.

So, I say, go with your first thought - the D750 - and enjoy.

By the way, I still do medium-format (6x6 and 645) film from time to time.

DJMusic Senior Member • Posts: 1,250
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

Welcome back! 

If you're getting back into digital and you don't have lenses to consider, the Z series cameras are quite amazing, particularly the "II" versions (e.g. Z6 II).  You get some nice features and lenses that are quite stunningly sharp.  You also get in-body stabilization in 5 axes of movement.

You also have options on DX vs FX in the Z mount, and all the new cameras have been generally well reviewed.  While the camera bodies are somewhat smaller, the lenses tend to be similar to their DSLR counterparts, so you might want to try a typical combo before making the decision on "heft".

I made the decision not to migrate from the D7200 DX to a FX Z series (original) since I have quite a bit of F-mount, full-frame glass, including my Tamron 24-70 G1 ($$$).  Much of my glass is Tamron, so there are limits on which lenses can work in fully automatic mode, even with the FTZ adapter or a firmware upgrade.

About the time I made that decision (1-2 days later), Nikon announced the D780, which I pre-ordered.  It's a fabulous camera.  It's probably the last DSLR in the prosumer range, and Nikon pulled out the stops.  It has the D5's autofocus in view-finder mode, and in live view it's a Z6 with 273 point autofocus.  The low-noise performance is top-notch, and you can use basically any F-mount glass, even that that use the in-body focus motor.  I'm 20,000+ images in in less than two years, and I've never regretted the decision.  I shoot RAW almost exclusively, and the flexibility of the camera is just amazing.  I shot a bit of JPEG before Adobe updated Lightroom for the D780 RAW, and those image files held up well to editing.

If you need the megapixels, the D850 is an outstanding camera, but there are newer, Z-inspired features the d780 has that are not available on the D850.   To be clear, you would not be unhappy with the D850, just consider the trade-offs.  The D750 is a great camera as well, but it is older tech, the low-noise performance is not as good, and you definitely take a feature hit compared to either the D780 or D850.

As a dad shooting sports, I'm sure you're painfully aware of lighting at indoor venues.  I have yet to have a scenario that the D780 could not handle.  Nikon got rid of the built-in flash, but I have missed it.  The native shooting ability of the D780 is just that good, and officials generally frown on flash at games. 

Best wishes as you make the transition back to digital.

 DJMusic's gear list:DJMusic's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +7 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,665
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

D810.  Or maybe Z6 IV.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,665
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

DJMusic wrote:

Welcome back!

If you're getting back into digital and you don't have lenses to consider, the Z series cameras are quite amazing, particularly the "II" versions (e.g. Z6 II). You get some nice features and lenses that are quite stunningly sharp. You also get in-body stabilization in 5 axes of movement.

You also have options on DX vs FX in the Z mount, and all the new cameras have been generally well reviewed. While the camera bodies are somewhat smaller, the lenses tend to be similar to their DSLR counterparts, so you might want to try a typical combo before making the decision on "heft".

I made the decision not to migrate from the D7200 DX to a FX Z series (original) since I have quite a bit of F-mount, full-frame glass, including my Tamron 24-70 G1 ($$$). Much of my glass is Tamron, so there are limits on which lenses can work in fully automatic mode, even with the FTZ adapter or a firmware upgrade.

About the time I made that decision (1-2 days later), Nikon announced the D780, which I pre-ordered. It's a fabulous camera. It's probably the last DSLR in the prosumer range, and Nikon pulled out the stops. It has the D5's autofocus in view-finder mode

No chance it has that.

, and in live view it's a Z6 with 273 point autofocus. The low-noise performance is top-notch, and you can use basically any F-mount glass, even that that use the in-body focus motor. I'm 20,000+ images in in less than two years, and I've never regretted the decision. I shoot RAW almost exclusively, and the flexibility of the camera is just amazing. I shot a bit of JPEG before Adobe updated Lightroom for the D780 RAW, and those image files held up well to editing.

If you need the megapixels, the D850 is an outstanding camera, but there are newer, Z-inspired features the d780 has that are not available on the D850. To be clear, you would not be unhappy with the D850, just consider the trade-offs. The D750 is a great camera as well, but it is older tech, the low-noise performance is not as good, and you definitely take a feature hit compared to either the D780 or D850.

As a dad shooting sports, I'm sure you're painfully aware of lighting at indoor venues. I have yet to have a scenario that the D780 could not handle. Nikon got rid of the built-in flash, but I have missed it. The native shooting ability of the D780 is just that good, and officials generally frown on flash at games.

Best wishes as you make the transition back to digital.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Robert Cohen
Robert Cohen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,471
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.
1

If you're going to get either a D750 or a D700, it'll be used.  Either would be very good, and obviously the D750 is going to be more advanced.  But if you liked the D700 that much, why don't you get another?  Then while you get re-established with digital you can contemplate what it might not do well enough for you.  (If anything.)  Once you are re-acquainted, if you find the D700 lacking you can probably sell it for approximately what you paid to buy it.

-- hide signature --

--Bob

 Robert Cohen's gear list:Robert Cohen's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +5 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 18,213
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

Personally, I'd rather have a D810 or even D800e than D750.   Those extra pixels are intoxicating.

Shoot a D810 at ISO 64 and you'll think you've been shooting medium format when you play with the files.

D8xx has faster shutter than D750.  1/8000th top versus 1/4000th, and perhaps more significant, a faster sync speed of 1/250th instead of 1/200th.  That can have a big effect when trying to use wide apertures in daylight with fill flash.

D750 has slightly better low-light autofocus than D800/810.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,934
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.
1

T O Shooter wrote:

DJMusic wrote:

Welcome back!

If you're getting back into digital and you don't have lenses to consider, the Z series cameras are quite amazing, particularly the "II" versions (e.g. Z6 II). You get some nice features and lenses that are quite stunningly sharp. You also get in-body stabilization in 5 axes of movement.

You also have options on DX vs FX in the Z mount, and all the new cameras have been generally well reviewed. While the camera bodies are somewhat smaller, the lenses tend to be similar to their DSLR counterparts, so you might want to try a typical combo before making the decision on "heft".

I made the decision not to migrate from the D7200 DX to a FX Z series (original) since I have quite a bit of F-mount, full-frame glass, including my Tamron 24-70 G1 ($$$). Much of my glass is Tamron, so there are limits on which lenses can work in fully automatic mode, even with the FTZ adapter or a firmware upgrade.

About the time I made that decision (1-2 days later), Nikon announced the D780, which I pre-ordered. It's a fabulous camera. It's probably the last DSLR in the prosumer range, and Nikon pulled out the stops. It has the D5's autofocus in view-finder mode

No chance it has that.

Agree with this comment. As good as the D780 no doubt is it does have I believe some algorithms and the higher resolution metering sensor for subject tracking (compared to D750) borrowed from the D5 - but its 51 point autofocus system is not the same as the professional 153 point autofocus system used in the D5. The two DSLRs that share the 153 point system with the D5 are the D850 and D500 and even then the D5 sits above those two because it has 'extra sauce' befitting Nikon's top professional model - so yes 'no chance it has that' is on the money!

, and in live view it's a Z6 with 273 point autofocus. The low-noise performance is top-notch, and you can use basically any F-mount glass, even that that use the in-body focus motor. I'm 20,000+ images in in less than two years, and I've never regretted the decision. I shoot RAW almost exclusively, and the flexibility of the camera is just amazing. I shot a bit of JPEG before Adobe updated Lightroom for the D780 RAW, and those image files held up well to editing.

If you need the megapixels, the D850 is an outstanding camera, but there are newer, Z-inspired features the d780 has that are not available on the D850. To be clear, you would not be unhappy with the D850, just consider the trade-offs. The D750 is a great camera as well, but it is older tech, the low-noise performance is not as good, and you definitely take a feature hit compared to either the D780 or D850.

As a dad shooting sports, I'm sure you're painfully aware of lighting at indoor venues. I have yet to have a scenario that the D780 could not handle. Nikon got rid of the built-in flash, but I have missed it. The native shooting ability of the D780 is just that good, and officials generally frown on flash at games.

Best wishes as you make the transition back to digital.

Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,842
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.
1

M West wrote:

Morning,

Its been a while since I have shot digital seriously. About 10 years ago I had a fire sale and had to sell my D700. I have been playing around with random cameras the last few years and I have mostly been shooting with my F5. I enjoy film and would like to continue shooting it, but for now I think I want to refocus on actually shooting, not the developing.

A lot has happened in the digital world and not going to lie, I am a bit lost. I am not completely ignorant. Right now unless someone convinces me otherwise I am planning on sticking with Nikon D system.

With the D700, I loved it. It was my first professional camera and I really loved the heft and feel of it. I know everyone wants lighter cameras, but I enjoy the feel of knowing I could probably break a rock if I dropped the camera on it.

I am a dad so I kind of need a camera that can do it all. For the most part landscape and nature photography, followed by portraiture.

So I was going to create a list of possible options but in the end it seems the D750 is my main option.

So really my question would be, is there anything else I should be looking at outside the D750?

If the price of the D780 is not out of your range, that’s what I would get. It’s quite a nice camera.

Newer processor, faster highest mechanical shutter speed, if you need it a way, way better live view implementation, the BSI sensor is a significant upgrade, I’m using the retain highlights metering option most of the time and just love processing those raw files.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

 Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M (Typ 262) Leica CL Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +12 more
I a n
I a n Regular Member • Posts: 137
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

I loved my D700 (my daughter uses it now). I recently made the transition to the D850. An easy move and it is a great camera. If you want to save some $ then look at a D800 or D810.

 I a n's gear list:I a n's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
DJMusic Senior Member • Posts: 1,250
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

T O Shooter wrote:

DJMusic wrote:

...

About the time I made that decision (1-2 days later), Nikon announced the D780, which I pre-ordered. It's a fabulous camera. It's probably the last DSLR in the prosumer range, and Nikon pulled out the stops. It has the D5's autofocus in view-finder mode

No chance it has that.

More precisely, the autofocus algorithm, not the same module. It's very good.  And before any further discussion ensues, yes there is a difference between the AF hardware and the algorithm.  Nikon D780 | 24.5 MP Full Frame DSLR Camera (nikonusa.com)

 DJMusic's gear list:DJMusic's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +7 more
OP M West New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

T O Shooter wrote:

D810. Or maybe Z6 IV.

There has been enough people out here mentioning the Z series that I really need to give it a look.

OP M West New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

Robert Cohen wrote:

But if you liked the D700 that much, why don't you get another? Then while you get re-established with digital you can contemplate what it might not do well enough for you. (If anything.) Once you are re-acquainted, if you find the D700 lacking you can probably sell it for approximately what you paid to buy it.

I honestly thought about it, and its not a horrible option but I am not big on buying and selling and the back and forth, I just want to get a camera and if I need to grow into it that's fine.

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 18,126
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.
1

M West wrote:

There has been enough people out here mentioning the Z series that I really need to give it a look.

The D780 announcement was something of a surprise, since Nikon was seemingly putting all of their development budget into the Z cameras. Yeah, maybe that will happen again and Nikon will release another new D camera, but I think that's unlikely now.

If you can, check out the cameras in a store. Some people really dislike optical viewfinders, although I found the Z's finders quite nice.

Oh, and from what I've heard, the Z lenses are superb, and any new F-mount lens releases are unlikely.

 Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,640
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

....

If you can, check out the cameras in a store. Some people really dislike optical viewfinders, although I found the Z's finders quite nice.

+1 for that - peoples' reactions to EVF vary a lot even with the better ones, and there's also the handling aspect to be comfortable with too.

I'm in the camp of not liking EVF but recognizing and trading the upsides (histograms/zebra/focus peaking and zoom on manual focus, and boosting low light scenes). All the normal trade-offs with functionality and price.

 JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 18,126
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

Yes—I meant to write “electronic view finders”, not optical.

 Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Ask Mait Contributing Member • Posts: 875
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

IMHO coming from F5, you need a D5 ideally but if budget is a restriction then D4s, D4 or even D3s could be a good thing for you.

OP M West New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the D750. If the D series gets the ax in way of the Z. Honestly I am not too worried about it. I have never been one to put resale value into my consideration. I imagine even if not one more D series camera gets released, there is enough out there to keep me shooting on it for a few years.

OP M West New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Coming back to Digital, need some guidance.

Ask Mait wrote:

IMHO coming from F5, you need a D5 ideally but if budget is a restriction then D4s, D4 or even D3s could be a good thing for you.

Hah, I wish I could get the D5. So I actually looked at the D4, I could have afforded it but went with the 750 because everything is newer for it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads