ON1 Photoraw 2022 plugin capability

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Almazar80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,647
ON1 Photoraw 2022 plugin capability

It seems that ON1 has separated the original Photoraw product into a standalone and a plug-in package. At their website, you can buy Photoraw 2022 for around $80 US (for the standalone version). To add the plugin capability, you need to pay another $70 US. That's $150 US for what used to be a $99 product (less when it went on sale, less when upgrading from a previous version). I don't like this policy, but I suppose many people will want either the standalone or the plugins, not both (as I do). Well, I guess that while I have the 2022 Photraw upgrade, this will be the last version of Photoraw that I will be buying for a while. I still have Photoraw 2021 that works as a Photoshop plugin. That will have to do. I hope Topaz continues to upgrade their software (how about updating Adjust). I hope DXO continues to improve the Nik plugins. I believe that there will be alternatives to Photoraw as a plugin (there are now, but I like how Photoraw works). It's too bad that the price difference is now so large. The $99 upgrade price for the standalone/plugin functionality would have been fine. At $150, it's just too high.  And no, I am not subscribing to Photoraw.

bmoag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,056
Re: ON1 Photoraw 2022 plugin capability

I agree this is a major blunder in On1 marketing. Could be fatal.

Having communicated with On1 about this it seems they believe their biggest customer base uses On1 as a LR/PS replacement and not as a plug-in. I kind of doubt it but they appear to be betting the farm on that assumption.

Mighty bold for a niche product in a limited size market.

I wish On1 luck but I think they have made a serious blunder in separating the products like this and so alienating a big part, I think the biggest, of their customer base. The smart thing to do would be to offer existing customers the plug-ins at the upgrade price if they insist on separating the packages going forward-- if this marketing decision gives them much of a forward to move into.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
Haddington
Haddington Forum Member • Posts: 63

On1 are currently suffering from some confusion over this change in approach but I think it makes sense. I use On1 for its DAM, raw processing and styling. It really is good enough to replace Photoshop, Lightroom, and NIK for me, and for a lot of other folks too.

For my most critical raw processing (I shoot birds, often at very high ISOs) I still use DxO, and I don't see that changing any time soon. But then again, when I used to use Lightroom I used DxO for my most critical processing too, so there's no change there.

Long story short, there are lots of folks for whom the ability to use PhotoRaw as a plugin really isn't that important.

At the other end of the scale, Lightroom/Photoshop users need the plugins, but don't care about the standalone versions.

I suspect most PhotoRaw users fall into one of those camps, so the decision to separate out the standalone and the plugin make perfect sense to me. Of course, some folk like to have both. They're catered for too - albeit at a premium price because they're buying, effectively, two completely different product lines.

I'm enjoying the discussion here, but I think On1's decision is sound.

Haddington's gear list:Haddington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
OP Almazar80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,647

It may be sound, but that doesn't mean people have to like it.  Had they added the plugins for twenty dollars more over the base price, that would have been fine.  As you said, there are few users (from your point of view) that will use the program as a plug in AND as a standalone, so this move makes sense.  I am one of those people who would like to use it as a plugin and occasionally as a standalone, so this strategy, with the price difference that they want people to pay, is not a great idea.  Then again, I wish them luck with their pricing strategy and product strategy.  In my case, I already have Topaz products and the old Nik software.  It may be time to get the new version of Nik and get rid of ON1.

Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,445

Almazar80 wrote:

It may be sound, but that doesn't mean people have to like it. Had they added the plugins for twenty dollars more over the base price, that would have been fine. As you said, there are few users (from your point of view) that will use the program as a plug in AND as a standalone, so this move makes sense. I am one of those people who would like to use it as a plugin and occasionally as a standalone, so this strategy, with the price difference that they want people to pay, is not a great idea. Then again, I wish them luck with their pricing strategy and product strategy. In my case, I already have Topaz products and the old Nik software. It may be time to get the new version of Nik and get rid of ON1.

I was alsounhappy with this approach.  I planned on upgrading and decided to do so but deciding between the options took some time.  I have always bought the licensed version that included the plug-in.  In fact, I started using On1 all the way back to Perfect Effects 8 when it was only offered as a plug-in.  I still use it that way sometimes when I process the raw first in Elements. Since On1 Raw has improved so much over the years, I use it more and more as my initial processor.   When I do send an image out to the plug-in from Elements, it is often to use the transform feature (lacking in Elements) or add an artistic touch--a textures, for example. I think On1 2021 will serve those purposes well so, ultimately, I decided to get the simple upgrade.  If you like the program in general, I might not be too hasty to leave despite this unfortunate change.  I don't question their strategy, however.  That is their business as a business.  I am solely concerned with how well a type of software helps me and at what cost.  Good luck!

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more

I don't begrudge ON1 for doing what they're doing.  I don't believe that it's going to make their software gain significant market share, however.  Now that DXO is putting more effort with Nik and Topaz continuing to improve its offerings, there are better alternatives (or at least different alternatives) available.  If Topaz decides to improve Adjust, that would be a nice thing to see.  Frankly, paying almost twice as much for ON1 as a standalone AND as a plugin isn't too consumer friendly.  I would not have balked at paying an extra fee (as I said above).  It's the near doubling of the cost that is off putting.

Brev00

Almazar80 wrote:

I don't begrudge ON1 for doing what they're doing. I don't believe that it's going to make their software gain significant market share, however. Now that DXO is putting more effort with Nik and Topaz continuing to improve its offerings, there are better alternatives (or at least different alternatives) available. If Topaz decides to improve Adjust, that would be a nice thing to see. Frankly, paying almost twice as much for ON1 as a standalone AND as a plugin isn't too consumer friendly. I would not have balked at paying an extra fee (as I said above). It's the near doubling of the cost that is off putting.

I don't think about what other amounts a company should charge. Just what they do. I am not going to buy that tier at that or really any price above that of the standard upgrade. It is like what so many company's do: keep the price while stripping the product down. See the size of a 'half gallon' of ice cream. The standard upgrade is pricey enough.

I skipped 2021 and may skip one or more future upgrades. Funny that they included a free 2021 license with the 2022 upgrade purchase. So, I use 2021 as a plug-in going forward. As the software gets better, I have less reason to upgrade every year.

Don't forget, they are also offering the software as a subscription now. It may be their intent to move as many people as possible to a subscription.  I thought about it. The price is similar but not if I skip upgrades.

CrisL Contributing Member • Posts: 999

Almazar80 wrote:

It seems that ON1 has separated the original Photoraw product into a standalone and a plug-in package. At their website, you can buy Photoraw 2022 for around $80 US (for the standalone version). To add the plugin capability, you need to pay another $70 US. That's $150 US for what used to be a $99 product (less when it went on sale, less when upgrading from a previous version). I don't like this policy, but I suppose many people will want either the standalone or the plugins, not both (as I do). Well, I guess that while I have the 2022 Photraw upgrade, this will be the last version of Photoraw that I will be buying for a while. I still have Photoraw 2021 that works as a Photoshop plugin. That will have to do. I hope Topaz continues to upgrade their software (how about updating Adjust). I hope DXO continues to improve the Nik plugins. I believe that there will be alternatives to Photoraw as a plugin (there are now, but I like how Photoraw works). It's too bad that the price difference is now so large. The $99 upgrade price for the standalone/plugin functionality would have been fine. At $150, it's just too high. And no, I am not subscribing to Photoraw.

Yes but they have offers, I purchased all the plugins for 21 euros while I. upgraded to 2022

CrisL's gear list:CrisL's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +5 more

The 2022 version of the plugins are not out yet, at least that's what the U.S. site says. Here, you need to pay $80 for the standalone and an additional $70 for the plugins. I am an ON1 Plus Pro member, so I received the standalone update at no charge. I didn't get an email from ON1, so I suppose that I am going to have to buy the plugins separately, as it is now separated from the main ON1 product (Photoraw 2022 standalone).

Also, the price for the plugins bundle (2021.5 version) is only $20 U.S. less than the Photoraw 2022 standalone AND the current plugins bundle (2021.5).  I don't know whether they're going to give a free update to the 2022 version of the plugins when they come out.  The upgrade price is twenty dollars (U.S.) less.

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 13,738

Almazar80 wrote:

The 2022 version of the plugins are not out yet, at least that's what the U.S. site says. Here, you need to pay $80 for the standalone and an additional $70 for the plugins. I am an ON1 Plus Pro member, so I received the standalone update at no charge. I didn't get an email from ON1, so I suppose that I am going to have to buy the plugins separately, as it is now separated from the main ON1 product (Photoraw 2022 standalone).

Also, the price for the plugins bundle (2021.5 version) is only $20 U.S. less than the Photoraw 2022 standalone AND the current plugins bundle (2021.5). I don't know whether they're going to give a free update to the 2022 version of the plugins when they come out. The upgrade price is twenty dollars (U.S.) less.

If you really need these plugins, you can afford them.

-- hide signature --

If you want to be equal, you have to be better...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more

I think that this is an opportunity to try the upgraded version of Nik.  The Photoraw 2021.5 (which works as a Photoshop plugin) will have to do.  I won't be using Photoraw 2022 that much, since I prefer using Photoshop.  I've always liked ON1's product, but paying twice as much (now) for the standalone and the plugin functionality is a no go.

Brev00

Nik Software and On1 are very different programs.  I don't see how Nik can replace On1 and vice versa.  I have and use both.  What specifically do you do with On1 that you will now do with Nik?

Nik has a lot of filters but I don't think they are all that similar to the effects in On1.  The functionality is very different.  Nik has its u point technology while On1 has local adjustments and masking.  I think they are very different beasts.  That is why I own and use both.

I have not upgraded my version of Nik since the pre google days (I actually paid for it before google made it available for free).  The plugins still work.  All I am saying is that instead of spending money on the ON1 plugins, I will probably upgrade my Nik plugins to DXO's version.  The 2021.5 version of ON1 Photoraw still works as a Photoshop plugin.  In the future, I don't think I'll be as keen on upgrading Photoraw as I have in the past.  It's not that I don't like the software.  I don't like their unnecessary splitting of the product and subsequent price increase (almost doubling the price if you want both functionality).  As a long time ON1 customer, I understand that they must grow revenue.  I also know that with this pricing structure, I am less likely to upgrade regularly.

Brev00

Almazar80 wrote:

I have not upgraded my version of Nik since the pre google days (I actually paid for it before google made it available for free). The plugins still work. All I am saying is that instead of spending money on the ON1 plugins, I will probably upgrade my Nik plugins to DXO's version. The 2021.5 version of ON1 Photoraw still works as a Photoshop plugin. In the future, I don't think I'll be as keen on upgrading Photoraw as I have in the past. It's not that I don't like the software. I don't like their unnecessary splitting of the product and subsequent price increase (almost doubling the price if you want both functionality). As a long time ON1 customer, I understand that they must grow revenue. I also know that with this pricing structure, I am less likely to upgrade regularly.

Google Nik is not very different from Original Nik.  A few more filters, a few more presets.  Same interface.  Probably underlying improvements in its u point functionality, processing speed, etc.  Perspective Efex has been added, but I am happy with the Transform and Lens Correction features in On1.  I will use On1 as a plug-in at times to access those features.  I wish more of my lenses were in the database.  Why Tamron's 150-600 G2 and 100-400 are not there is a mystery to me.  On1 says that people need to send images taken with those lenses into On1.  Really?  Images from all the obscure, ancient lenses that are in the database have been examined?

I don't like the splitting of the software, either.  On1 has made their determination that this is a more profitable way to sell their software.  Capitalism does force companies to increase revenue by slimming down their products.  If you want a half gallon of Breyer's ice cream for a party, you will need to buy two containers.  8 oz is a cup, right?  Try to find an 8 oz cup of yogurt.  Yet, they sell each unit at the same price as before the weight and volume loss.  Customers new to On1 won't even know that the plug-ins were once packaged with Photo Raw.  I got Perfect Effects 8 for free.  So, 2022 prices are a big increase for me!

I upgraded Photo Raw every year for the first couple of years.  The software was just too slow at first and every new edition was significantly better.  Now, the software is quite speedy both in applying the settings and exporting the finished images.  I skipped the 2021 upgrade and will probably not upgrade again for two or three years.  That is the advantage of having a license.   I only upgrade Elements when they improve the Adobe Camera Raw module.  Or Mac OS changes require it.  Getting a new Mac in 2019 made most of my software obsolete.  Had to upgrade Nik as well as Elements. But, On1 still worked!

If I can't get what I want using On1 2021 as a plug-in, I can always send a tif to the standalone and export back to Elements.  An extra couple of steps so inconvenient.  But, I will probably be happy with 2021 as a plug-in for several more years.  I use On1 as my primary platform more and more so the plug-in is becoming less and less important anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I actually have Photoraw 2022 (free upgrade for me, since I have the Pro Plus subscription).  I miss the plug in capability from this version, so I still have 2021.5 in my system.  What I did buy recently is the updated version 2 of FastRawViewer and the update to ACDSee Photo Ultimate 2022.  I like the DAM capability of that software and while I have not tried the AI face recognition, I am going to have to figure out how that works.  DXO 5 looks promising.  And I will renew my Topaz support for another year.  I really like their AI Nose and AI Sharpen.  I guess they haven't updated Studio for a while, nor have they updated Adjust.  I hope they update Adjust soon.

A lot of good software out there.  Lots of things to learn.  Maybe if ON1 has a sale next year and included the plugins with Photoraw 2023 at a nominal price increase (say $20-$30 U.S., not $70) I'll upgrade to that.  Still, no knock on ON1 - they have steadily improved their products over the years and kept them reasonably affordable.  I just don't like the pricing that they are offering at the moment.

Brev00

Almazar80 wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts. I actually have Photoraw 2022 (free upgrade for me, since I have the Pro Plus subscription). I miss the plug in capability from this version, so I still have 2021.5 in my system. What I did buy recently is the updated version 2 of FastRawViewer and the update to ACDSee Photo Ultimate 2022. I like the DAM capability of that software and while I have not tried the AI face recognition, I am going to have to figure out how that works. DXO 5 looks promising. And I will renew my Topaz support for another year. I really like their AI Nose and AI Sharpen. I guess they haven't updated Studio for a while, nor have they updated Adjust. I hope they update Adjust soon.

A lot of good software out there. Lots of things to learn. Maybe if ON1 has a sale next year and included the plugins with Photoraw 2023 at a nominal price increase (say $20-$30 U.S., not $70) I'll upgrade to that. Still, no knock on ON1 - they have steadily improved their products over the years and kept them reasonably affordable. I just don't like the pricing that they are offering at the moment.

Yes, I have a ton of software. Not ACDSee as I don't think that works on Macs. Not well anyway. I have Denoise AI. I use that on almost every image. Even if an image does not have noise, I can use it to sharpen the image just a tad. Which is usually all I need. I used to use Topaz Detail a lot. It's a legacy plug-in at this point but still works. I tried Sharpen AI but found it flawed. They have probably improved it a good deal. Just don't find I need to sharpen my images much too often. I have Luminar 4 and pre-ordered Luminar Neo. In the meantime I am doing a free trial of Luminar AI. If I like it more than Neo, Luminar said I could switch. I won't keep both. They even extended the free trial for me until Neo is released. Good customer service. Currently, the software works as both a plug-in and as a standalone. I just upgraded to DxO Filmpack 6. I used 5 a lot especially for black and white conversions. Unlike Nik and On1, 6 did not keep my presets. . I have used Elements for the last ten years. One of the things I like about it is how fluidly it works with all these programs. Elements is stripped of a lot of Photoshop's features, but I can replace what is missing with the the plug-ins. Even if I use On1 for raw conversion and editing, I will look at the image in the ACR module in Elements and can touch it up there and in the editing platform with the help of the plug-ins. Especially Denoise AI.

Altogether, Nik Viveza, Nik Color Efex, and Topaz Denoise AI are my most used plug-ins. On1 Photo Raw and Elements split the raw processing and bulk of editing duties. Luminar lends a hand once in a while.

I started out with some of these plug-ins because they were intitally offered for free! Perfect Effects 8, DxO Filmpack 3, DxO Optics 8, Nik. I proceeded to buy the next editions. What a sucker!

IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,778

Brev00 wrote:

Almazar80 wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts. I actually have Photoraw 2022 (free upgrade for me, since I have the Pro Plus subscription). I miss the plug in capability from this version, so I still have 2021.5 in my system. What I did buy recently is the updated version 2 of FastRawViewer and the update to ACDSee Photo Ultimate 2022. I like the DAM capability of that software and while I have not tried the AI face recognition, I am going to have to figure out how that works. DXO 5 looks promising. And I will renew my Topaz support for another year. I really like their AI Nose and AI Sharpen. I guess they haven't updated Studio for a while, nor have they updated Adjust. I hope they update Adjust soon.

A lot of good software out there. Lots of things to learn. Maybe if ON1 has a sale next year and included the plugins with Photoraw 2023 at a nominal price increase (say $20-$30 U.S., not $70) I'll upgrade to that. Still, no knock on ON1 - they have steadily improved their products over the years and kept them reasonably affordable. I just don't like the pricing that they are offering at the moment.

Yes, I have a ton of software. Not ACDSee as I don't think that works on Macs. Not well anyway. I have Denoise AI. I use that on almost every image. Even if an image does not have noise, I can use it to sharpen the image just a tad. Which is usually all I need. I used to use Topaz Detail a lot. It's a legacy plug-in at this point but still works. I tried Sharpen AI but found it flawed. They have probably improved it a good deal. Just don't find I need to sharpen my images much too often. I have Luminar 4 and pre-ordered Luminar Neo. In the meantime I am doing a free trial of Luminar AI. If I like it more than Neo, Luminar said I could switch. I won't keep both. They even extended the free trial for me until Neo is released. Good customer service. Currently, the software works as both a plug-in and as a standalone. I just upgraded to DxO Filmpack 6. I used 5 a lot especially for black and white conversions. Unlike Nik and On1, 6 did not keep my presets. . I have used Elements for the last ten years. One of the things I like about it is how fluidly it works with all these programs. Elements is stripped of a lot of Photoshop's features, but I can replace what is missing with the the plug-ins. Even if I use On1 for raw conversion and editing, I will look at the image in the ACR module in Elements and can touch it up there and in the editing platform with the help of the plug-ins. Especially Denoise AI.

Altogether, Nik Viveza, Nik Color Efex, and Topaz Denoise AI are my most used plug-ins. On1 Photo Raw and Elements split the raw processing and bulk of editing duties. Luminar lends a hand once in a while.

I started out with some of these plug-ins because they were intitally offered for free! Perfect Effects 8, DxO Filmpack 3, DxO Optics 8, Nik. I proceeded to buy the next editions. What a sucker!

Your V5 presets should be in the V5 preset folder as V6 installs alongside V5. Simply copy them to the presets folder in V6. Best to keep a copy of user presets outside of the program.

Ian

Brev00

IanYorke wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

Almazar80 wrote:

Your V5 presets should be in the V5 preset folder as V6 installs alongside V5. Simply copy them to the presets folder in V6. Best to keep a copy of user presets outside of the program.

Ian

I don't know what you mean.  I opened both programs and don't see what you described.

The 2022 plugins are now available. In the U.S., you can add the plugins to the standalone version for $70 U.S. If you buy it as a standalone, it is on sale for $130 at the moment, with a normal price of $150 U.S. Which means that the upgrade price for Photoraw 2022 standalone with the plugins option is the same as the normal price for the plugins alone. And the website does not seem to give a discount for plugin buyers who want to buy just the plugins (who also own Photoraw 2022 or any other version of Photoraw). So, it appears that they really want to create two distinct markets for the products, that forces you to pay more just to get the plugins. Essentially, buy the plugins and you'lll get the standalone for free. If you want just the standalone, then it's discounted (though that's not what's readily apparent, until you think about the prices that they are charging).

What I don't get is this. If you owned Photoraw 2021, which included the plugins, why don't you get a discount for the plugins? You can buy it separately for almost the same price as the bundle of plugin and standalone, but if you want to upgrade to just the plugins, it's not possible, at least from the available choices in the website. No grandfathering discount for plugin buyers.

Which means that if you bought Photoraw 2022, there is no easy way to purchase the plugins for 2022 unless you buy the "introductory priced" plugin bundle or repurchase Photoraw 2022 with the plugin bundle.

And there's another catch.  If you are a member of the ON1 Plus Pro program, you're supposed to get the next version of Photoraw free if it's offered while your subscription is active.  Except that now, you'll only get the standalone Photoraw, not the plugins.  If you had a subscription, you'll still have to buy the plugins separately, even though the previous version of the product that you purchased included that functionality.

Way to go, ON1.

Brev00

Not fun but not uncommon. Topaz guaranteed a lifetime of free updates for their software then discontinued them, replacing them with ai versions that require paid updates. Several of those legacy plugins are not compatible with the current Mac os so lost those. A few work but I tried Denoise AI, liked it, bought it and now use it over Denoise--which will never be updated free or otherwise.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads