Guess The Place #220

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
JNo Regular Member • Posts: 416
Re: Guess The Place #220

diagon alley in the warner bros. studios london?

free turn if right.

R Liewenberger Senior Member • Posts: 1,725

JNo wrote:

free turn if right.

Yes, I think that's correct.

A little more precisely, we are looking at the Slug & Jiggers Apothecary:

https://live.staticflickr.com/2829/11136290774_9e33c079b0_b.jpg

Liewenberger

Kjeld Olesen
Kjeld Olesen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,497
Free turn - Diagon Alley, Warner Bros. Studios, Watford

R Liewenberger wrote:

JNo wrote:

free turn if right.

Yes, I think that's correct.

A little more precisely, we are looking at the Slug & Jiggers Apothecary:

https://live.staticflickr.com/2829/11136290774_9e33c079b0_b.jpg

Liewenberger

Indeed, it is the Slug & Jiggers Apothecary

https://harry-potter-compendium.fandom.com/wiki/Slug_%26_Jiggers_Apothecary

The Warner Bros. Studios "London" are in Watford, I suppose that is not really London?

EDIT: Just found some info on the latter apparently sensitive question:
1: Hertfordshire Mercury 
2: TripAdvisor

-- hide signature --
 Kjeld Olesen's gear list:Kjeld Olesen's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R6
Re: Free turn - Diagon Alley, Warner Bros. Studios, Watford

Kjeld Olesen wrote:

The Warner Bros. Studios "London" are in Watford, I suppose that is not really London?

1: Hertfordshire Mercury
2: TripAdvisor

Well, Kjeld, to me London or Watford or Hertfordshire are all place names on that island up there in the Nordsee, in about 500 km distance, where they drive on the wrong side of the road! I can happily do without any British pernicketiness!

Liewenberger

Kjeld Olesen

R Liewenberger wrote:

Kjeld Olesen wrote:

Well, Kjeld, to me London or Watford or Hertfordshire are all place names on that island up there in the Nordsee, in about 500 km distance, where they drive on the wrong side of the road! I can happily do without any British pernicketiness!

Liewenberger

Yes, well, you know - they don't even consider themselves to be part of Europe, as they may claim to "go to Europe" if visiting the continental part - perhaps it makes more sense now that they chose not to be part of the EU - but that is probably a debate we should not discuss here

In any case, the clue "The place claims to be in London, but it is not really", was more referring to it being an imaginary place rather then actually being located in Watford

It is well worth a visit with kids though - no matter where it is located - and London is still the best place in Europe (or near it) to get an Indian curry!

So you must be from near Poitiers being 500 km south of London?

-- hide signature --

Kjeld Olesen wrote:

R Liewenberger wrote:

Kjeld Olesen wrote:

Liewenberger

Yes, well, you know - they don't even consider themselves to be part of Europe, as they may claim to "go to Europe" if visiting the continental part - perhaps it makes more sense now that they chose not to be part of the EU - but that is probably a debate we should not discuss here

In any case, the clue "The place claims to be in London, but it is not really", was more referring to it being an imaginary place rather then actually being located in Watford

It is well worth a visit with kids though - no matter where it is located - and London is still the best place in Europe (or near it) to get an Indian curry!

So you must be from near Poitiers being 500 km south of London?

No, Kjeld, not Poitiers! Actually it's not exactly south of London, more east-south-east of London. Under Napoleon it was in the French Département des Forêts, in the Arrondissement Bitbourg (1795 - 1814). After Napoleon it became Prussia. After the Prussian emperors came 12 years under bad Adolf's 'Third Reich', today it's called Germany.

Before Napoleon, since 1555, it was a part of Luxembourg, thus part of the Spanish Netherlands, that became the Austrian Netherlands in 1714.

Not to forget about the Roman emperors before all the above; about 2000 years ago they founded the nearby Augusta Treverorum, today called Trier, Germany's oldest city.

Good about these constant changes: It makes people here pretty immune when it comes to the silly forms of patriotism!

'Indian curry': Only been there once, for a couple hours, just long enough to try some 'Fish and chips'. Not bad at all!

But Den Gamle Kro in Odense was better! (Just glad the bill there was paid by the boss of Kansas Denmark A/S! )

Liewenberger

S Castle
S Castle Senior Member • Posts: 1,357

R Liewenberger wrote:

Not to forget about the Roman emperors before all the above; about 2000 years ago they founded the nearby Augusta Treverorum, today called Trier, Germany's oldest city.

Good about these constant changes: It makes people here pretty immune when it comes to the silly forms of patriotism!

I miss living in Europe, where you can literally stumble over history, and enter structures that have been around for millennia.

-- hide signature --

Shane

OP apathyman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,961

Where?

(A few minor changes since the photo was taken)

OP apathyman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,961
Free Turn

That's it.

To be honest I don't understand why you need to jump in so quickly if you're just going to call a free turn.  You could just offer a subtle clue and let others have a crack at it.

Anyway .... free turn

Re: Free Turn

apathyman wrote:

That's it.

To be honest I don't understand why you need to jump in so quickly if you're just going to call a free turn. You could just offer a subtle clue and let others have a crack at it.

Anyway .... free turn

Yes, sorry, a subtle clue would have been a better idea! Ich bitte vielmals um Entschuldigung!

But I can't see why it should make a difference if I follow up with a post of my own or just offer a free turn?

And as said before, there is hardly any Google Street View coverage here in Germany, what makes posting any challenge a bit difficult, as people can't use Google Street View as a tool to find the answer. It would be more like 'you know the place' or 'you don't'.

RL

maxdance
maxdance Veteran Member • Posts: 6,909

apathyman wrote:

That's it.

To be honest I don't understand why you need to jump in so quickly if you're just going to call a free turn. You could just offer a subtle clue and let others have a crack at it.

Anyway .... free turn

Quite agree Brian, in this instance I'd also found it and posted "Nice wee town Brian - maybe a nickname started by Henry" - and then withdrew it when I discovered Liew had posted his answer just a few minutes earlier. It seems to have become a habit with him and often stalls the game.

Funnily enough, I'd also earlier posted a challenge at the same time you put up this latest one (within the same minute) and also withdrew that when I discovered yours. Great timing!

I'll put it up again shortly.

-- hide signature --

''I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious'' – Albert Einstein

maxdance

Where?

Not sure how easy this might be.

-- hide signature --

maxdance

R Liewenberger wrote:

apathyman wrote:

That's it.

Anyway .... free turn

Yes, sorry, a subtle clue would have been a better idea! Ich bitte vielmals um Entschuldigung!

But I can't see why it should make a difference if I follow up with a post of my own or just offer a free turn?

And as said before, there is hardly any Google Street View coverage here in Germany, what makes posting any challenge a bit difficult, as people can't use Google Street View as a tool to find the answer. It would be more like 'you know the place' or 'you don't'.

RL

Hans also lives in Germany and has posted many great photos over the past eleven years, including quite a few from that country. It obviously can be done.

-- hide signature --

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 6,601

maxdance wrote:

Where?

Interesting contrast of old and new, which must be a clue. But speaking of clues, it looks like a few (rather too) useful pieces of information have been removed from this photo  I also wonder if this is a single shot or a number of shots joined together.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony a7R II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony RX100 +14 more
maxdance

New Day Rising wrote:

maxdance wrote:

Where?

Interesting contrast of old and new, which must be a clue. But speaking of clues, it looks like a few (rather too) useful pieces of information have been removed from this photo I also wonder if this is a single shot or a number of shots joined together.

Yes, the name of the prominent building has been removed but it is a single shot, no stitching involved. A wee bit of India seems to have been added since I last visited.

-- hide signature --

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 6,601

maxdance wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

maxdance wrote:

Where?

Interesting contrast of old and new, which must be a clue. But speaking of clues, it looks like a few (rather too) useful pieces of information have been removed from this photo I also wonder if this is a single shot or a number of shots joined together.

Yes, the name of the prominent building has been removed but it is a single shot, no stitching involved. A wee bit of India seems to have been added since I last visited.

As long as it still has those magnificent views of Grace's eldest

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony a7R II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony RX100 +14 more
maxdance

New Day Rising wrote:

maxdance wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

maxdance wrote:

Where?

Yes, but no Irish or German elements in this one - maybe just an old whaling barque.

-- hide signature --

Kjeld Olesen
A rough guess on the country : NZ?

maxdance wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

maxdance wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

maxdance wrote:

Where?

Yes, but no Irish or German elements in this one - maybe just an old whaling barque.

I don't seem to gain anything from these clues, but I will try a rough guess on the country based on the image

The vacancy sign indicates that there are mountains around
Signs indicate it is an English speaking country
Street marking indicate they (still) drive on the left side of the road

So, how about New Zealand?

-- hide signature --
Re: A rough guess on the country : NZ?

Kjeld Olesen wrote:

maxdance wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

maxdance wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

maxdance wrote:

Where?

I don't seem to gain anything from these clues, but I will try a rough guess on the country based on the image

The vacancy sign indicates that there are mountains around

What makes you think of mountains??

Signs indicate it is an English speaking country
Street marking indicate they (still) drive on the left side of the road

So, how about New Zealand?

Good guess, Kjeld!

I think I know the answer to the question, but from some previous replies I have learnt that -according to some unwritten rule- you are not supposed to post this answer, but just post some 'subtle clues', so others can post the answer.

So here is my 'subtle' clue: PML T

Liewenberger

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads