Guess The Place #220

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
apathyman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,961
Guess The Place #220

This long-running thread started way back in 2009.

Number 1: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/33469604

This is number 220 in the series.

GUESS THE PLACE RULES

These are the rules for this continuing thread:

• Someone will post a picture of a place on Earth in this thread.
  • The person who guesses where it is (with the approval of he/she who posts the picture) can then post a new image of somewhere on Earth. And so on.
  • Both the city/town/area and the country must be stated.
  • It doesn't matter if it's really hard but keep in mind that people must have a chance to guess it.
  • If nobody has guessed it after 48 hours, a new image may be posted by anyone.
  • If more than one person posts a picture, the first image is in play.
  • New images must be posted as replies to the original message and within 24 hours; otherwise there will be a free turn.
  • All makes of cameras are welcome.
OP apathyman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,961
Re: Guess The Place #220

This is a continuation of Guess the Place 219.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65524724

Clues so far:

This ruin is all that remains of a hotel that was built in the late 1800s next to a road that was built to transport grain to the coast.

We are in a large southern hemisphere country in a state that includes the name of the country in its name.

Try the one where there is a Sheffield Shield match currently underway and you're sure to "have a lovely time"

In response to NDR's question: "It looks like there's actually Shield matches going on in both at the moment! Day 4 in one spot and waiting for the start of Day 2 in the other." - Sorry - I wasn't aware about the Day 1 match starting. Does that help?

Final Clue

Consider a Fiddler's Dram

maxdance
maxdance Veteran Member • Posts: 6,915
Re: Final Clue

apathyman wrote:

Consider a Fiddler's Dram

How about here...

https://www.google.com/maps/@-32.9692259,138.1381531,3a,49.4y,78.62h,92.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPEPbMPEQTlkxrfPUE8JwFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The Bangor Historic Site on the road between Port Germein and Murraytown - the remains of the old Gorge Hotel erected by Thomas Kurner in 1888?

A difficult one Brian.

-- hide signature --

''I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious'' – Albert Einstein

Bangor Historic Site, South Australia

maxdance wrote

How about here...

https://www.google.com/maps/@-32.9692259,138.1381531,3a,49.4y,78.62h,92.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPEPbMPEQTlkxrfPUE8JwFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The Bangor Historic Site on the road between Port Germein and Murraytown - the remains of the old Gorge Hotel erected by Thomas Kurner in 1888?

A difficult one Brian.

Well my last couple were solved in a flash so I thought it was time to delve into my photo archive for a real challenge

Yes Bangor Historic site in South Australia where the Queensland and South Australia Sheffield Shield teams have just played out a draw.

I thought the 'a lovely time' clue earlier might have helped which, of course, was part of the title of Fiddler's Dram's 1979 hit "Day Trip to Bangor (Didn't We Have a Lovely Time)" -  a one hit wonder if ever there was one

Over to you Max.

maxdance
Re: Bangor Historic Site, South Australia

apathyman wrote:

maxdance wrote

How about here...

A difficult one Brian.

Well my last couple were solved in a flash so I thought it was time to delve into my photo archive for a real challenge

Yes Bangor Historic site in South Australia where the Queensland and South Australia Sheffield Shield teams have just played out a draw.

I thought the 'a lovely time' clue earlier might have helped which, of course, was part of the title of Fiddler's Dram's 1979 hit "Day Trip to Bangor (Didn't We Have a Lovely Time)" - a one hit wonder if ever there was one

Over to you Max.

Nothing wrong with a difficult one now and then Brian - at least the clues were much more useful than some of the ridiculous ones foisted on us recently.

I figured early on that we were probably in South Australia and looking for an historic site on a road that led to a port. But which port? And so many roads. A good challenge.

I'll post a new image shortly, possibly a little less remote.

-- hide signature --

maxdance

Which two buildings are we walking between?

Perhaps sisters? - 79 years difference in age, but of similar nature and one refuses to die.

Max.

-- hide signature --

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 6,601
Re: Bangor Historic Site, South Australia

maxdance wrote:

apathyman wrote:

maxdance wrote

How about here...

A difficult one Brian.

I thought the 'a lovely time' clue earlier might have helped which, of course, was part of the title of Fiddler's Dram's 1979 hit "Day Trip to Bangor (Didn't We Have a Lovely Time)" - a one hit wonder if ever there was one

Over to you Max.

Nothing wrong with a difficult one now and then Brian - at least the clues were much more useful than some of the ridiculous ones foisted on us recently.

I figured early on that we were probably in South Australia and looking for an historic site on a road that led to a port. But which port? And so many roads. A good challenge.

I'll post a new image shortly, possibly a little less remote.

Indeed. I figured out SA quickly enough but there's not only a lot of ports and roads in South Australia there's a lot of ruined hotels (and cottages and homesteads and churches).

Nice challenge!

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony a7R II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony RX100 +14 more
maxdance
Clues

maxdance wrote:

Perhaps sisters? - 79 years difference in age, but of similar nature and one refuses to die.

Max.

After about ten years of rest and rejuvenation on these shaky isles, the older girl will hopefully be back entertaining us again in a couple of years time - and maybe then capable of coping with a bit of future jitterbug or rock 'n roll (?). One assumes that a pipe organ would have been of little interest to the Rolling Stones or the Beatles, but it too will be back fully refreshed.

-- hide signature --

maxdance
More clues

maxdance wrote:

maxdance wrote:

Max.

After about ten years of rest and rejuvenation on these shaky isles, the older girl will hopefully be back entertaining us again in a couple of years time - and maybe then capable of coping with a bit of future jitterbug or rock 'n roll (?). One assumes that a pipe organ would have been of little interest to the Rolling Stones or the Beatles, but it too will be back fully refreshed.

It has been said that back in '73 Kenny Rogers and The First Edition created quite a stir when they also visited the older girl - but they soldiered on amongst the bird bodies, eggs and nests. Maybe the highly rated (world leading?) acoustics were too good?

Now about to dive between the sheets, back in the morn.

-- hide signature --

New Day Rising
Re: More clues

maxdance wrote:

maxdance wrote:

maxdance wrote:

Max.

It has been said that back in '73 Kenny Rogers and The First Edition created quite a stir when they also visited the older girl - but they soldiered on amongst the bird bodies, eggs and nests. Maybe the highly rated (world leading?) acoustics were too good?

I suspect Max is being a bit tricky and one of these buildings no longer exists.

My guess is that we are looking at the Christchurch Town Hall and the now demolished Christchurch Convention Centre.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

maxdance
Another clue

New Day Rising wrote:

maxdance wrote:

maxdance wrote:

maxdance wrote:

Max.

I suspect Max is being a bit tricky and one of these buildings no longer exists.

My guess is that we are looking at the Christchurch Town Hall and the now demolished Christchurch Convention Centre.

Sorry NDR, right 'shaky isles' country but wrong location - they are both still proudly standing and a Google 'street view' supplies a similar perspective to the photo. And a Symphony Orchestra currently prefers the younger girl - but that may change in a couple of years when a beautiful sounding Edwardian pipe organ returns from down south.

-- hide signature --

HansAlbert Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Re: Another clue

between Wellington Town Hall and Michael Fowler Centre ?

New Day Rising

maxdance wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

maxdance wrote:

maxdance wrote:

maxdance wrote:

Max.

Sorry NDR, right 'shaky isles' country but wrong location - they are both still proudly standing and a Google 'street view' supplies a similar perspective to the photo. And a Symphony Orchestra currently prefers the younger girl - but that may change in a couple of years when a beautiful sounding Edwardian pipe organ returns from down south.

Ah, so it must be Wellington, where Kenny played two shows in '73. He seems not to have played Auckland for some reason.

-- hide signature --

New Day Rising

HansAlbert wrote:

You might be onto something!

-- hide signature --

New Day Rising wrote:

HansAlbert wrote:

You might be onto something!

cf. and turn: https://www.google.com/maps/@-41.2892191,174.7777894,3a,75y,49.95h,91.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sr_s6z2ySRDj7Ma6CNiaMkQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

free turn, if right (I'm going to bed.)

maxdance
Wellington Town Hall and Michael Fowler Centre, Wellington, NZ.

HansAlbert wrote:

Correct Hans. To quote Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_Town_Hall

" In 1980 the Michael Fowler Centre was built immediately in front of the Town Hall's main entrance in anticipation of the older building's demolition. However the New Zealand Historic Places Trust (since renamed to Heritage New Zealand) persuaded the City Council to retain the Town Hall."

" The main auditorium has been rated one of the best in the world for acoustic quality. It has hosted numerous live performances (including The Beatles & The Rolling Stones)

" The Town Hall may have been a low maintenance priority of councils over the years. By 1973 during a concert (Kenny Rogers and The First Edition) their sound levels caused dust to begin to drift down over the stage. When their music hit a crescendo during the chorus of one piece (may have been Something's Burning), the stage ceiling collapsed on them, dropping pigeon bodies, empty and dead eggs, nesting material and plaster rubble and dust all over the stage and the band's equipment. The concert did continue, with black-dressed stage hands creeping around the stage sweeping up detritus, removing carcasses, and dusting the amplifiers, speaker cases, keyboards, and anything else covered with plaster dust."

" The Town Hall has one of the world's few remaining Edwardian pipe organs." "The organ was sent to the South Island Organ Company for restoration, and will be reinstalled when the earthquake strengthening work is complete."

" It has been closed to the public since the 2013 Seddon earthquake, and it is currently undergoing extensive strengthening work."

Latest update: https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/wellington/125875126/wellington-town-hall-revamp-faces-many-hurdles-but-on-track-to-open-on-time

Over to you Hans.

Edit: Best view: https://www.google.com/maps/@-41.2893161,174.7777315,3a,90y,48.27h,90.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA1wzvm_j16rP-SGgDUuylg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

-- hide signature --

another couple new vs old or: the old in the new

volks 1
volks 1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,837
Re: Final Clue

Well done for that one.

-- hide signature --

Keep it simple.

volks 1's gear list:volks 1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR
maxdance

HansAlbert wrote:

another couple new vs old or: the old in the new

An excellent follow-on Hans...with a wetter division.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads