Moon shot with the Nikon 1 V3.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Jeffry7 Contributing Member • Posts: 600
Moon shot with the Nikon 1 V3.

Hi folks,

So I am a lunatic. I keep taking pictures of the moon hoping to get better and better images. I recently got a V3 and set it on an old 800mm mirror lens. At that focal length the moon takes up nearly the whole sensor. I had it on a tracker, a device to keep you pointed at the stars, but that can be hit and miss with the moon.

I loved being able to fire off 60 shots at a time though. 60 shots, re-center. 60 shots re-center.

Why so many shots? well I stack moon images to knock down the noise. I had the ISO up at 1600 because this mirror lens is slow. Also I had the shutter speed at 1/400 because I was having to touch the camera to start off the run of images. (The intervalometer will not work with this lens. At least that is what it said in the menu.)

I have a remote coming, but last night was clear enough I had to go out and try.

Moon from 10/16/2021

I am loving this little camera!

Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,635
Re: Moon shot with the Nikon 1 V3.

Jeffry7 wrote:

Hi folks,

So I am a lunatic. I keep taking pictures of the moon hoping to get better and better images. I recently got a V3 and set it on an old 800mm mirror lens. At that focal length the moon takes up nearly the whole sensor. I had it on a tracker, a device to keep you pointed at the stars, but that can be hit and miss with the moon.

I loved being able to fire off 60 shots at a time though. 60 shots, re-center. 60 shots re-center.

Why so many shots? well I stack moon images to knock down the noise. I had the ISO up at 1600 because this mirror lens is slow. Also I had the shutter speed at 1/400 because I was having to touch the camera to start off the run of images. (The intervalometer will not work with this lens. At least that is what it said in the menu.)

I have a remote coming, but last night was clear enough I had to go out and try.

Moon from 10/16/2021

I am loving this little camera!

Outstanding!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
OP Jeffry7 Contributing Member • Posts: 600

Thanks Tord!

D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 5,267

Wonderful post!  Well done!

-- hide signature --

DaveL
WSSA Member #468